Chris Hall

Default Extra Channels for Guilemot Maxis Studio

I'm looking into expanding my home recording setup, adding in a Beringer
ADA8000.
Now I know that this will work with the Digi series of interfaces (pro tools
etc.), so it'll be good for future expansion, but will it work for now? are
the "optical digital" inputs on my current soundcard (a Guillemot Maxis
studio) the same kind needed for expanding my setup?
does anyone know any web pages about connecting gear in this way?

Arny Krueger

Chris Hall wrote:
I'm looking into expanding my home recording setup, adding in a
Beringer ADA8000.

Now I know that this will work with the Digi series of interfaces
(pro tools etc.), so it'll be good for future expansion, but will it
work for now? are the "optical digital" inputs on my current
soundcard (a Guillemot Maxis studio) the same kind needed for
expanding my setup?

No - just to echo Francois' correct response about the ADA8000 being based
on the ADAT interface. This interface multiplexes 8 channels of up to 24
bits 48 KHz sampled audio on the same physical TOSLINK fiber optic cable as
is used for consumer audio.

does anyone know any web pages about connecting gear in this way?

There are a number of ADAT computer interfaces that can be used with the
ADA8000 and other ADAT standard interfaces.

Behringer has a new one that is USB-based.

Search google for:

ADAT computer interface

One of the more interesting ADAT interface devices is the AudioRail.

There are also audio consoles that have ADAT interfaces including one from
Behringer.