pvpeacock

Default Audio Hard Drive Jukebox

I'm curious if anyone has found a hard disc drive jukebox that can
record directly from a cd and be hooked up to my home theatre receiver
directly? I've currently got 2 sony CD jukeboxes (400 discs each)
and am getting close to capacity. I'd rather have a single hard drive
unit to attach directly to my receiver rather than using a portable
mp3/wma player or a pc. I'd also like to be able to store my digital
photos on it.

I looked at the Onebox, which sounded interesting:
http://oneboxmc.com/home.html However, I read a review which made it
sound like it was not ready for prime time yet. I was somewhat
surprised it didn't have any digital audio output myself.

I've got to believe someone has come with this idea and has some
product on the market like this, but haven't found one other than the
onebox. Any ideas?
Pat Farrell

On 8 Mar 2004 15:38:51 -0800, (pvpeacock) wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has found a hard disc drive jukebox that can
record directly from a cd and be hooked up to my home theatre receiver
directly? I've currently got 2 sony CD jukeboxes (400 discs each)

I had two jukeboxes and retired them both.
details at
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/killthecd.html

basic approach is to extract (not rip) the audio
from CDs to a hard disk on a computer.
Compress them using Flac, a lossless compression
algorithm so no fidelity is lost.
Playback thru a SlimDevices SqueezeBox.
connected to my real stereo.

Then I upgraded to an external serious DAC,
since the SqueezeBox has both Toslink and
SPDIF output.

You have to be slightly computer facile to do it,
but there is no hard lifting.

Pat http://www.pfarrell.com/prc/