Arget

Default PC audio recording have fluctuating volume

I'm having a strange issue with recording audio on my new PC, and was
just wondering if anyone else had experienced it / knew how to resolve
it. It happens both when I record via microphone or line-in, and it
happens regardless of which audio software I use:

When recording, the audio can be heard coming through the PC's
speakers and sounds just fine. But as soon as I playback the
recording, the volume fluctuates in a way that's hard to describe.
It's like the less silence there is at any given moment, the louder
the volume will be. So when speech is low, the overall volume is low,
and vice versa.

For an example of what I mean, listen to this:
http://www.neoteric.us/stuff/sample.mp3

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.