Pete Snyder

Default Anemic Bass from Dynaco A25XL's

I purchased a pair of 1970's era Dynaco A25XL speaker off EBay. The
bass is practically non-existent..and I mean less than what I hear
users reporting they hear from the same speakers. I even went so far
as to replace the 10" woofers. (The actual 10" unit SEAS that
currently builds as a replacement.) Still, the bass is very weak -
even compared with my Celestion SL6's (acoutic suspension) or EVEN a
pair of Radio Shack Optimus- Pro LX5's. Comparatively speaking the
Dynacos don't even hint at at the bass the latter speakers produce. I
mean, I can't even "find" the bassline in the music - let alone "feel"
anything. This is really odd!!!!!

Even current day comments about the Dynaco A25 speak of good (though
perhaps not huge) bass response. I can't figure what would account
for the bassless sound. The woofers - both original and replacements
- function and are wired in phase, one cabinet with the other. The
cross-overs are simple. An 8m meg cap and a small air coil.

Any ideas???

Pete
Chicago