Audiodesigner

Default output transistors for audio?

I like to build a high end audio power amplifier.
Which transistors are considered best today?
What is Mark Levinson, Krell using?

A.D.
CJT

Audiodesigner wrote:

I like to build a high end audio power amplifier.
Which transistors are considered best today?
What is Mark Levinson, Krell using?

A.D.

pnp, npn, and fet

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the

mike diack

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 05:29:36 -0000, Audiodesigner
wrote:

I like to build a high end audio power amplifier.
Which transistors are considered best today?
What is Mark Levinson, Krell using?

Plastic: 2SA1943, 2SC5200
Tinnies MJ15024,MJ15025

Damon Hill

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in
:

Be careful with the 2SA1943 and the 2SC5200. A lot of them out there
are fakes. See http://transfal.tripod.com/ for details.

If the specs are the same, what makes them fakes? What difference
would it make?

The specs can't possibly be the same because the actual transistor
die in most fakes is far too small to meet specs. They will pass
a casual inspection but will promptly fail under full power
conditions.

--Damon

TonyP

"Karl Uppiano" wrote in message

If the specs are the same, what makes them fakes?

The fact that they are usually cheap transistors with new printing on top.

What difference would it make?

They blow up, usually in a *very* short time.

TonyP.

Richard Crowley

"Karl Uppiano" wrote ...
If the specs are the same, what makes them fakes?

The specs AREN'T the same. At least not at high power.

What difference would it make?

Cheap devices re-branded with an expensive part number.

Like bleaching $1 bills and printing $100 on them.

Karl Uppiano

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Karl Uppiano" wrote ...
If the specs are the same, what makes them fakes?

The specs AREN'T the same. At least not at high power.

What difference would it make?

Cheap devices re-branded with an expensive part number.

Like bleaching $1 bills and printing $100 on them.

That was the answer I was looking for: The specs aren't the same. Thanks.
Who is selling transistors with fraudulent ratings? Let's list them here!

Mark D. Zacharias

I got fake 2SA1302's, 2SC3281's. 2SA1265's and 2SA3182's from Andrews
Electronics.

The 1302 and 3281 caused me a VERY expensive re-do. I broke open the failed
transistors and compared them to the original Toshiba product. Obvious
fakes. Poor finish quality, and the semiconductor dies were 1/2 the size,
which I suppose means 1/4 the rating, since in electronics, these things
often vary to the square of voltage of current.

I returned the others, but Andrews would not acknowledge they had a problem.

They were in SK bags, which means Thomson sourced them from Hu-Nos-Hu in
China and sold them to Andrews.

By the way, the 2SA1302 and 2SC3281 have been discontinued for a long time
so any "new" ones you see are probably fakes.

Mark Z.