Michael Walsh

Default ADC/DAC conversion...barking in stereo up the wrong tree?

Trying to pass a true stereo signal across standard household RG-6
wiring without the benefit of a MTS modulator/encoder.

I came upon the idea of using an analog to digital converter with coax
output (AEU 75ohm BNC type - something like the Kramer 6420) going
into the suitably adapted RG-6 cable and then doing the reverse at the
other end (something like the Kramer 6410). Does anyone know if this
will work, have a budget way of doing it (the Kramer units are $400
each), or have another idea?

The important thing is maintaining the stereo output to the speakers
without running speaker wires.

Preference would be for speaker level output all the way. Optional
would be stepping the output down to line level and putting it into
another amp on the other side.

I have also thought of a FM transmitter to send line output to an FM
receiver, or alternatively simply stepping the speaker output down and
adapting it to mono line on the one side and bringing it out to a dual
mono line level feed on the other side.
Michael. J Walsh

"Michael. J Walsh" wrote in
:

That sounds like the way to go then. Any other suggestions for brands
and an idea of prices? Not having a whole lot of luck with Google
searches on the web. Would like the unit to have a consumer friendly
inputs and outputs - BNC, RCA, etc... Thanks!

Regards,
MJW

Well, it took me about 4 hours on the web, but I think I've come up with a
good list of options. My MCM catalog had an inexpensive ADC that would work
and I've seen a few of DACs options that I think I could pick up
affordably.

chung

Michael. J Walsh wrote:
"Michael. J Walsh" wrote in
:

That sounds like the way to go then. Any other suggestions for brands
and an idea of prices? Not having a whole lot of luck with Google
searches on the web. Would like the unit to have a consumer friendly
inputs and outputs - BNC, RCA, etc... Thanks!

Regards,
MJW

Well, it took me about 4 hours on the web, but I think I've come up with a
good list of options. My MCM catalog had an inexpensive ADC that would work
and I've seen a few of DACs options that I think I could pick up
affordably.

If your source is an optical player, it most likely has S/PDIF outputs
already. Similarly, most AV receivers nowadays can take in S/PDIF
inputs, so you don't need to buy the DAC.

Another inexpensive way to get an ADC is to buy a USB sound card,
assuming you have a PC or laptop close-by. These will accept stereo
inputs, and output S/PDIF.

Michael. J Walsh

chung wrote in
rvers.com:

If your source is an optical player, it most likely has S/PDIF outputs
already. Similarly, most AV receivers nowadays can take in S/PDIF
inputs, so you don't need to buy the DAC.

Another inexpensive way to get an ADC is to buy a USB sound card,
assuming you have a PC or laptop close-by. These will accept stereo
inputs, and output S/PDIF.

You're right, I'm probably going at this the hard way.

Unfortunately, I'm also to an extent trying to do this with stuff I already
have. But if I can't find an inexpensive DAC, I might just bite the bullet
and replace the Onkyo receiver I've had for yonks (yet still love) on the
"out" side of the RG-6 with one that has a digital coax input.

The receiver on the "in" side I'm sort of stuck with. I still need it's
ability to switch both audio and video between the various components that
hook to it. And I need it's compact size for the amount of available space
in my rack. I also just want to feed that speaker level output because it
is the output for the rear speakers in a "surround-sound" setup.

Regards,
MJW

Randy Yates

"Michael. J Walsh" writes:
[...]
Any other suggestions for brands and an idea of prices?

Try Digikey.
--
% Randy Yates % "Bird, on the wing,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % goes floating by

Michael. J Walsh

Randy Yates wrote in :

"Michael. J Walsh" writes:
[...]
Any other suggestions for brands and an idea of prices?

Try Digikey.

Bought a new (and proper) A/V receiver with a coax digital input instead.
But this brings up a another quick question about surround-sound.

If the first reciver has analog line out (ostensibly so that a stereo feed
can be sent to the audio in on a TV monitor), that feed would still carry
all the surround-sound encoding, right?

So what I'm getting at, since the second reciver is now capable of surround
sound and not just stereo like the old one, is that if I use the line
output from the first receiver instead of my original plan of the speaker
output for that rear channel, couldn't I now use the speaker output on that
second receiver? Or even choose to use that second receiver to drive both
the rear speakers and a sub as well?

I think the answer will be yes, but just looking for a confirmation.

Kalman Rubinson

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:28:12 GMT, "Michael. J Walsh"
wrote:

Randy Yates wrote in :

"Michael. J Walsh" writes:
[...]
Any other suggestions for brands and an idea of prices?

Try Digikey.

Bought a new (and proper) A/V receiver with a coax digital input instead.
But this brings up a another quick question about surround-sound.

If the first reciver has analog line out (ostensibly so that a stereo feed
can be sent to the audio in on a TV monitor), that feed would still carry
all the surround-sound encoding, right?

No. Stereo analog outs do not carry surround info (although DPL can
synthesize something from it).

Kal