conrad

Default Vas.....what does it really mean?

Let's say you have 2-15 inch subwoofers both have comparable specs
except one has higher VAS(one has 3.4 and the other 8.5)..you install
them both in equal sealed boxes..which one will have greater bass..or
what I really want to say "chest pounding bass"is it safe to say that
the one with greater vas has greater compliance hence easier to drive
and more louder?
Laurence Payne

Vas. Half of Vas Deferens. The tube that connects your balls to
your prick. OK?

Laurence Payne

Vas. Half of Vas Deferens. The tube that connects your balls to
your prick. OK?
Laurence Payne

Vas. Half of Vas Deferens. The tube that connects your balls to
your prick. OK?
Laurence Payne

Vas. Half of Vas Deferens. The tube that connects your balls to
your prick. OK?
conrad

Laurence Payne wrote in message . ..
Vas. Half of Vas Deferens. The tube that connects your balls to
your prick. OK?

If you have so much interest in my tools I can have it arranged so
you can view them........Or just STFU!

Don Pearce

On 13 Feb 2004 15:10:30 -0800, (conrad) wrote:

Let's say you have 2-15 inch subwoofers both have comparable specs
except one has higher VAS(one has 3.4 and the other 8.5)..you install
them both in equal sealed boxes..which one will have greater bass..or
what I really want to say "chest pounding bass"is it safe to say that
the one with greater vas has greater compliance hence easier to drive
and more louder?

If the volume of the box is much smaller than the Vas of either
speaker, then there will be no great difference. The big difference
between these drivers is that the one with the bigger Vas can make
good use of a far bigger box than the other. I have just built a
sealed subwoofer into a concrete cupboard of 80 cubic feet volume. I
used a driver with a really big Vas, and I now have a system that
produces really, really low bass very well. It isn't chest-thumping
though - that is generally a sign of a one-note, ported system
designed for home cinema rather than music.

Suffice to say, though that Vas is just one of the parameters that
matter. Use a loudspeaker design programme, and read up on the theory
so you understand all the parameters, and what they mean. That way you
can design a sub that matches your room in the low bass range, rather
than thudding and booming unpleasantly.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

Svante

Don Pearce wrote in message . ..
[...]

Hmm... You make it sound like a high Vas value would be good. I'd say
that (given that everything else is the same) if one speaker has a
twice the Vas of another, it will *need* a twice as large box. With
that box, it will produce *the same* response as the smaller box.

Choosing between the two systems, I'd take the smaller box.

Don Pearce

On 15 Feb 2004 07:06:20 -0800, (Svante)
wrote:

Suffice to say, though that Vas is just one of the parameters that
matter. Use a loudspeaker design programme, and read up on the theory
so you understand all the parameters, and what they mean. That way you
can design a sub that matches your room in the low bass range, rather
than thudding and booming unpleasantly.

Hmm... You make it sound like a high Vas value would be good. I'd say
that (given that everything else is the same) if one speaker has a
twice the Vas of another, it will *need* a twice as large box. With
that box, it will produce *the same* response as the smaller box.

Choosing between the two systems, I'd take the smaller box.

No. Vas is the volume of box that would provide the same restoration
force as the suspension of the cone. The total restoration force on
the cone is the parallel combination of Vas and the actual box volume.
What this means is that for a speaker with low Vas, there is no point
in trying to use a big box, because Vas sets an upper limit to
effective box size.

With a large value of Vas you have a choice, either to maintain the
limitations of a small box, or use a greater physical volume to free
up the motion of the cone beyond the limits of the low Vas speaker.
Using twice as large a box with a higher Vas does not produce the same
result, but a far more extended bass response.

Of course you can use a small box with either speaker, because all it
does is fail to exploit the qualities available with a larger Vas. It
will still be a small box, though, and to get any kind of bass
response it will need to be ported - with all the unpleasant and
unnatural bass response that goes with it.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

dangling entity

(Dick Pierce) wrote in message . com...

is it safe to say that
the one with greater vas has greater compliance

Yes, that's exactly what Vas is: compliance state in units (volume)
that make it easy to integrate into system design equations.

hence easier to drive and more louder?

Absolutely, positively NOT! It means no such thing whatsoever.

The efficiency above cutoff is NOT, AT ALL, determined by compliance
or Vas, if you will. Efficiency is determined by the moving mass of
the driver, the electrical resistance of the voice coil, and the
electromagnetic coupling of the driver. Compliance or Vas DOES NOT
affect passband efficiency.

Well I guess I'll jump in first with the "for the sake of discussion"
viewpoint, just for kicks! The OP *did* say that the 2 woofers
have comparable specs, except for Vas. So potentially that could mean
fs is very close for the 2 woofers. So if the fs's are equal and the
Vas is much larger in one of them, then that automatically suggests
the Mms will be proportionally smaller in that same woofer. Per your
earlier remark, that will be one area that is suggesting higher
efficiency.

However, I concede that along with the qualification of "comparable
specs", the Qts must then be very close. So for that to happen with
the much greater Vas and the much lower Mms, the motor strength has to
be weaker. So maybe it is all a wash? Had this woofer had the higher
Vas, lower Mms, *and* additionally the equal strength motor (hence
much lower Qts), then we might have a case of a woofer that is more
"efficient".

Now put these 2 speakers into their appropriate-sized sealed boxes-
say the resulting Qc is held to .7. My speaker design hat is a little
rusty, but perchance would we find the larger Vas/larger box speaker
system ends up with the lower fb, f3? I really don't know for sure-
that's just what I'm guessing. So possibly the smaller box system
would give you more chest rattling bass when driven hard, while the
larger box system would give you deeper rumbling/thudding sort of bass
when driven hard. I would further guess that the smaller box system
will more easily use up a larger amplifier before signs of overdriving
appear, while the larger box system would only need moderate (or less,
even) amplification to be driven to its excursion limits or suffering
bottom-out issues.

So the *perception* of which one is actually more "efficient" could go
either way depending on what suggests higher output to you,
personally. The smaller box system may seem "louder" in how it can
"beat you over the head" with plentiful midbass, but it ravenously
sucks down twice the amplifier power to sound that loud and before
showing signs of distress. The larger box system may seem more "power
miserly" in that it seemingly plums the depths of deep bass
effortlessly while only asking for 60 W or so to do it. It also seems
to hit against its suspension/mechanical limits fairly easily as the
power is pushed beyond 60 W (as an example). However, it doesn't
really seem that loud in the mid and upper bass range- a bit subdued.
So the subjective efficiency may fall to either woofer system, simply
as a consequence of which part of the bass range happens to be more
important to you or more useful in your particular listening
environment. How's that for answering a question w/o really answering
anything?

To make matters even more complex, consider that the smaller Vas
woofer may typically feature a "more robust" motor with greater
overall power handling. So it will probably respond to higher power
inputs more gracefully than the typical larger Vas woofer (though it
is not impossible to find the larger Vas woofers with robust motors,
of course). As mentioned before, it isn't really necessary to use
elevated power inputs to drive the larger Vas woofer, anyways. So
they both end up doing *something* remarkably, but not necessarily the
same thing. It's like horses for courses... Moral to my long, long
post- don't swallow the red pill.

Dick Pierce

wrote:

Suffice to say, though that Vas is just one of the parameters that
matter. Use a loudspeaker design programme, and read up on the theory
so you understand all the parameters, and what they mean. That way you
can design a sub that matches your room in the low bass range, rather
than thudding and booming unpleasantly.

Hmm... You make it sound like a high Vas value would be good. I'd say
that (given that everything else is the same) if one speaker has a
twice the Vas of another, it will *need* a twice as large box. With
that box, it will produce *the same* response as the smaller box.

Choosing between the two systems, I'd take the smaller box.

No. Vas is the volume of box that would provide the same restoration
force as the suspension of the cone. The total restoration force on
the cone is the parallel combination of Vas and the actual box volume.

Actaully, your are both correct.

IF all other parameters were the same (which they almost never are),
then a driver with a larger Vas will require a proportionally larger
enclosure to achieve the same response.

AND, yes, that Vas is the "equivalent volume of compliance:" it is
that enclosed volume that, for the emmissive area of the diaphragm,
will have the same effective acoustic compliance as the suspension
itself does.

And, as well, the total complianmce is determined by the COMBINATION
of Vas and Vb.

Vas is derived from mechanical compliance Cms as:

Vas = Cms p0 c^2 Sd^2

where p0 is the density of air, c is the speed of sound in air and
Sd is the emissive area of the diaphragm.

Now, the PROBLEM is that it is EXTREMELY difficult to fabricate two
drivers all of whose parameters are the same EXCEPT for Vas. For
example, doubling the Vas by doubling the mechanical compliance
lowers the resonant frequency by a factor of sqrt(2). So the
resonant frequencies can't be the same UNLESS the moving mass Mms
of the driver with doubled Vas is half that of the other driver.
But then, the driver with the lower mass will ALSO have half the
Q figures and FOUR times the efficiency, unless we lower the Bl
product by a factor of two.

So while it's an interesting academic excercise to ponder what it
would be like to have two drivers otherwise identical save for the
equivalent volume of compliance, it has little, if any practical
use.

What this means is that for a speaker with low Vas, there is no point
in trying to use a big box, because Vas sets an upper limit to
effective box size.

With a large value of Vas you have a choice, either to maintain the
limitations of a small box, or use a greater physical volume to free
up the motion of the cone beyond the limits of the low Vas speaker.

Well, no. Inm the passband, the motion of the cone is NOT determined
either by the suspension compliance or the enclosure compliance. It
is largely determined by the moving mass. This is because in any
mechanically resonant system, above resonance (and, thus, in this case,
above cutoff, in the passband), the system is operating in the mass-
controlled region.

Using twice as large a box with a higher Vas does not produce the same
result, but a far more extended bass response.

Well, subject to the practical limitations outlined above, no it
will not have a "far more" extended bass response. Maybe somewhat
somewhat extended response, but not "far more."

Of course you can use a small box with either speaker, because all it
does is fail to exploit the qualities available with a larger Vas.

But you're only looking at one particular aspect of the problem. There
are GOOD reasons for using a box volume significantly smaller than the
Vas, including:

1. Since the box compliance dominates, and since the box compliance
is decidely more linear than the best mechanical suspension, at
those frequencies where the system is largely compliance-
controlled, i.e. at and below resonance, the non-linearity of
system will be largely determined by the box, NOT by the suspension.
The generally means reduced distortion at the very lowest limits
of the system

2. And, again, since the box comlpiance dominates, and since it is
MUCH easier to control the box compliance during manufacturing
(it's simply a case of maintaining the dimensions of the box)
than it is to control the suspension compliance, then the inevitable
variations in suspension compliance are insignificant in determining
the total system compliance and thus system response.

It will still be a small box, though, and to get any kind of bass
response it will need to be ported

Or equalized.

- with all the unpleasant and unnatural bass response that goes with it.

This is opinion stated as fact. There are examples of ported systems
whose low frequency repsonse can be considered exemplory, as there are
examples of sealed systems whose low frequency response is pretty
unpleasant and unnatural. Any idiot can design a loudspeaker and,
unfortunately, many do.

Don Pearce

On 15 Feb 2004 14:35:09 -0800, (Dick Pierce)
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote in message . ..
On 15 Feb 2004 07:06:20 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

[...]

This is the point I was making about needing to consider all the
parameters. A low Fs is good, and it is achieved by a high compliance.
But mass is the other term in the equation, but there is good mass and
bad mass. Good mass is the air you are moving, and bad mass is the
cone. You can lower Fs by making the cone heavier, but only at the
expense of poorer sensitivity. The result will always be less output
for a given power, not more.

[...]

I was not really talking about "in the passband" here, but in terms of
low end extension.

[...]

True but easily dealt with by not allowing those really low
frequencies through.

2. And, again, since the box comlpiance dominates, and since it is
MUCH easier to control the box compliance during manufacturing
(it's simply a case of maintaining the dimensions of the box)
than it is to control the suspension compliance, then the inevitable
variations in suspension compliance are insignificant in determining
the total system compliance and thus system response.

When you are designing a one-off subwoofer, you will (OK: if you are
me you will) measure the TS parameters for yourself and design round
those.

It will still be a small box, though, and to get any kind of bass
response it will need to be ported

Or equalized.

- with all the unpleasant and unnatural bass response that goes with it.

This is opinion stated as fact. There are examples of ported systems
whose low frequency repsonse can be considered exemplory, as there are
examples of sealed systems whose low frequency response is pretty
unpleasant and unnatural. Any idiot can design a loudspeaker and,
unfortunately, many do.

Well, yes - my opinion based on listening to far too many subwoofers
over the years, and rejecting them all as sounding totally unnatural.
It is not until now, with my IB sub finished and tuned in that I am
satisfied. It is also interesting that the tuning in procedure was
staggeringly easy with this sub. That alone says to me that is was a
design that was simply right.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Don Pearce

On 15 Feb 2004 14:35:09 -0800, (Dick Pierce)
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote in message . ..
On 15 Feb 2004 07:06:20 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

[...]

Don Pearce

On 15 Feb 2004 14:35:09 -0800, (Dick Pierce)
wrote:

Don Pearce wrote in message . ..
On 15 Feb 2004 07:06:20 -0800,
(Svante)