chuck

Default Line-In vs MIC for recording??

Now that the Line-In on my sound card appears to be defective,
is there any reason I should not use the MIC input for recording
from reeel-to-reel to the PC? It seems to work fine. But, will it
overload and blow what little remains of my sound card's function??

chuck

CJT

chuck wrote:

Now that the Line-In on my sound card appears to be defective,
is there any reason I should not use the MIC input for recording
from reeel-to-reel to the PC? It seems to work fine. But, will it
overload and blow what little remains of my sound card's function??

chuck

Make sure it's not mono (some are, since mics generally are).

--
After being targeted with gigabytes of trash by the "SWEN" worm, I have
concluded we must conceal our e-mail address. Our true address is the

chuck

chuck wrote:

Now that the Line-In on my sound card appears to be defective,
is there any reason I should not use the MIC input for recording
from reeel-to-reel to the PC? It seems to work fine. But, will it
overload and blow what little remains of my sound card's function??

Make sure it's not mono (some are, since mics generally are)

I'm recording old, OLD 1950's R&R that I had taped back then,
so it's already mono.

Sounds good, too.

I just don't want to do any more damage.

thanks,

chuck

David Wood

chuck wrote:

Now that the Line-In on my sound card appears to be defective,
is there any reason I should not use the MIC input for recording
from reeel-to-reel to the PC? It seems to work fine. But, will it
overload and blow what little remains of my sound card's function??

Make sure it's not mono (some are, since mics generally are)

I'm recording old, OLD 1950's R&R that I had taped back then,
so it's already mono.

Sounds good, too.

I just don't want to do any more damage.

Well, if the mic input's preamp were enabled, you would hear pure
distortion. Just wondering though, what brings you to the conclusion
that your line input is in fact bad?

Svante

CJT wrote in message ...
chuck wrote:

Now that the Line-In on my sound card appears to be defective,
is there any reason I should not use the MIC input for recording
from reeel-to-reel to the PC? It seems to work fine. But, will it
overload and blow what little remains of my sound card's function??

chuck

Make sure it's not mono (some are, since mics generally are).

It is very probable that it is mono. Also, the noise level is usually higher.

chuck

because, as i said in an earlier post:

"My onboard sound card plays music, sounds, and audio CDs
fine UNTIL I un-mute Line-In on the Volume Control
panel. Then I get no sounds at all. Mute Line In and
all is well."

David Wood wrote:
chuck wrote:

Now that the Line-In on my sound card appears to be defective,
is there any reason I should not use the MIC input for recording
from reeel-to-reel to the PC? It seems to work fine. But, will it
overload and blow what little remains of my sound card's function??

Make sure it's not mono (some are, since mics generally are)

I'm recording old, OLD 1950's R&R that I had taped back then,
so it's already mono.

Sounds good, too.

I just don't want to do any more damage.

Well, if the mic input's preamp were enabled, you would hear pure
distortion. Just wondering though, what brings you to the conclusion
that your line input is in fact bad?

Richard Crowley

"chuck" wrote ...
"My onboard sound card plays music, sounds, and audio CDs
fine UNTIL I un-mute Line-In on the Volume Control
panel.

Line In on the Playback window or Line In on the Record window?

chuck

Well, I'm really talking about Line In in the Volume Control panel
that appears in the system tray on Win98SE, and it's used for sound
coming into the sound card. On my Win98SE, t'aint no Playback window
nor Record window. In fact, all I need do is un-Mute the LineIn
control and I can here a quiet pop as the speaker cuts out. And this
happens whether or not there's anything plugged into the Line In
jack on the sound card. Mute Line In, and the speaker is again
functional. But of course, nothing comes in thru the Line In jack. I'm
guessing hardware.

But, I can connect my tape deck to the MIC jack on the sound card,
and record to the PC fine. All other sounds play ok too.

chuck

Richard Crowley wrote:
"chuck" wrote ...

"My onboard sound card plays music, sounds, and audio CDs
fine UNTIL I un-mute Line-In on the Volume Control
panel.

Line In on the Playback window or Line In on the Record window?

Richard Crowley

"chuck" wrote in message
Well, I'm really talking about Line In in the Volume Control panel
that appears in the system tray on Win98SE, and it's used for sound
coming into the sound card. On my Win98SE, t'aint no Playback window
nor Record window.

You need to get more familiar with the various windows.

When I select "Options / Properties" from the menu, I get the
choice "Adjust volume for... ( )Playback or ( ) Recording"
I don't think you are operating the software controls the way
the manufacturer intended. Note that those windows are rather
goofy (IMHO) the way they were designed, but that is how MS
did it.

Richard Crowley

"chuck" wrote ...
Yeah but .... my original question remains:

WILL PLAYING A TAPE DECK THRU THE MIC JACK
DAMAGE MY SOUND CARD??

POSSIBLY.
NOT RECOMMENDED.

First of all, "playing a tape deck" doesn't uniquely identify
which output you are using. Is it a line-level output? Or is
it a speaker-level output? Or a headphone output? What,
exactly? What kind of equipment (tape deck) is not the
critical factor. What kind of output (line, speaker, head-
phone, etc.) *IS* the critical factor.

If you connected a speaker-level output to a line-level input
on a sound card (or on most any other audio equipment) there
is a possibility that it will damage the circuit. But IME, the
possibility is rather low unless you really "cranked up" the
output volume to try to get it to work.

Connecting the speaker output to a mic-level input has a
significantly higher possibility of risk. Even connecting a
line-level output to a mic-level input carries a higher risk.
I would never connect anything but a mic-level signal to a
mic input.

Note that you can buy/make a "pad" (attenuator circuit)
which will knock a speaker/line level signal down to mic-
level. Available at Radio Shack last time I looked (a few
years ago).

I don't believe that you damaged your line input (unless
you blew it up with speaker level). I think rather, that
you don't know how to use the sound card controls.
Some of them are pretty obscure and wierd.

Note that is doesn't help your case to be coy about what
kind of equipment (make & model) you are using. In the
case of audio cards, they are virually all different and
generic advice is frequently not very helpful.