johnnyp

Default ar-xa synchron motor specs?

Hi,

I've got an old two-motor ar-xa turntable with a bad bearing on the starter
motor. It says "synchron" on the bottom. Does anyone have line on that
motor? specs? I found a place online called Hansen that sells synchro
motors, but they're not audio people, so they probably can't tell me what I
need.Can I use an old clock motor? Any clock models I should look for on
ebay? Thoughts?

This turntable was a hand-me-down from a friend's dad, and it sounds way
better than the beogram rx-2 I lived with for 15+ years. I can' believe what
I was missing that whole time.

thanks,

JP

Kalman Rubinson

AR replacement motors pop up on eBay all the time.

Kal

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:50:22 GMT, "johnnyp"
wrote:

Hi,

I've got an old two-motor ar-xa turntable with a bad bearing on the starter
motor. It says "synchron" on the bottom. Does anyone have line on that
motor? specs? I found a place online called Hansen that sells synchro
motors, but they're not audio people, so they probably can't tell me what I
need.Can I use an old clock motor? Any clock models I should look for on
ebay? Thoughts?

This turntable was a hand-me-down from a friend's dad, and it sounds way
better than the beogram rx-2 I lived with for 15+ years. I can' believe what
I was missing that whole time.

thanks,

JP

DV Nebel

Later models of AR turntables used a more powerful single motor drive
systems. I believe that the main drive motor for the two motor models
was rated at 1.5 watt and it was replaced by a single 3 watt motor. The
motors were made by Hayden(sp?) and Airpax. Going to a single motor
drive should be as easy as replacing the main drive motor and removing
the starter motor. While you are searching for another motor you could
remove the starter motor and push start your turntable with your hand.
Try contacting Merrill Audio in Memphis, Tenn. for information on AR
turntables. They have a lot of experience with these turntables. I don't
recall what their website address is.
Don Nebel