Roald Baudoux

Default Monitoring console for true 8-channels surround?

Hello,

I work for a studio mixing to eight-channel surround (not 7.1, but eight
full-bandwidth channels, a common format in electroacoustic composition).

I am therefore looking for a monitoring console able to handle
eight-channels sources. As most monitoring consoles for surround are limited
to 5.1 and are very expensive, I was thinking about buying a simple
eight-channels mixer with direct outs. however, I would need a mixer which
allow grouping of channels.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Roald Baudoux

Glenn Dowdy

"Roald Baudoux" wrote in message
Hello,

I work for a studio mixing to eight-channel surround (not 7.1, but eight
full-bandwidth channels, a common format in electroacoustic composition).

I am therefore looking for a monitoring console able to handle
eight-channels sources. As most monitoring consoles for surround are

limited
to 5.1 and are very expensive, I was thinking about buying a simple
eight-channels mixer with direct outs. however, I would need a mixer which
allow grouping of channels.

How about the Mixwizard 20:8:2 for sale upstream?

Glenn D.

sodderboy

The mixer idea is good, but it REALLY helps to be able to A/B compare
your mix to a different source- either a previous mix or a different
mix.

We use the Martinsound Multimax. We rent it locally (NYC). Depending
on the project budget, Dreamhire London might have one. I think they
are about US $4000 to buy. For that you get three discreet 8 CH input
sources- your mix, and two 8CH externals. You get inserts on every
channel- x curve, or compression. You get independant level trims on
each channel, and bass management on one channel if needed. Pink
noise generator for room voicing. Down-mixing via different
selectable choices. It is a great box.

There are many others out there. The added features and A/B ability
make a big difference.

Roald Baudoux

Le 11/02/04 16:46, dans ,
«*sodderboy*» a écrit*:

The mixer idea is good, but it REALLY helps to be able to A/B compare
your mix to a different source- either a previous mix or a different
mix.

We use the Martinsound Multimax. We rent it locally (NYC). Depending
on the project budget, Dreamhire London might have one. I think they
are about US $4000 to buy. For that you get three discreet 8 CH input
sources- your mix, and two 8CH externals. You get inserts on every
channel- x curve, or compression. You get independant level trims on
each channel, and bass management on one channel if needed. Pink
noise generator for room voicing. Down-mixing via different
selectable choices. It is a great box.

There are many others out there. The added features and A/B ability
make a big difference.

Yes, I have discovered products from Magtrax and StudioComm too but all
these boxes are really expensive (electroaoustic composition is not a
business, it's just art). Tascam has a less expensive monitoring console but
it's digital and limited to a sampling rate of 96 kHz while we'd use the box
with a Digidesign 192I/O. Grace Design has a digital console compatible with
a sampling rate of 192 kHz but it's limited to 5.1 and I think it's the most
expensive one on the market (5 000 US$ or so).

However it doesn't seem possible to find mixers with both few inputs and
groups so a dedicated hardware seem the only solution.

Thank you for helping.

Best regards,

Roald Baudoux

1.5 kva transformer Dave Ryman Tech 81 December 15th 03 09:45 AM
Surround sound monitoring system for small studio? Nick Kemp Pro Audio 6 November 27th 03 03:25 PM
Whos doing Surround Sound Paul Pro Audio 10 October 14th 03 05:52 AM
Need 16 Channels Low Price Mic Pre for Live Recording? Simon Pro Audio 8 September 23rd 03 06:54 PM
No surround channels playing Dark Side of Moon SACD Harry Lavo High End Audio 19 July 16th 03 03:10 PM