Capt Nemo

Default audio fiber and audio digital coaxial

My toshiba tivo/dvd player SD-H400 has 2 different digital audio outputs.
They are fiber and digital coaxial. My understanding is that they are both
digital sound.
My last dvd player just had digital coaxial sound output (PCM). It worked
well with my yamaha DTS reciever.
Since I already have the digital coaxial, I was going to wire it that way.
If I use the fiber digital, I would have to go buy it.

Is there any sound difference between the 2 cables?

Kalman Rubinson

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:58:25 GMT, "Capt Nemo"
wrote:

My toshiba tivo/dvd player SD-H400 has 2 different digital audio outputs.
They are fiber and digital coaxial. My understanding is that they are both
digital sound.
My last dvd player just had digital coaxial sound output (PCM). It worked
well with my yamaha DTS reciever.
Since I already have the digital coaxial, I was going to wire it that way.
If I use the fiber digital, I would have to go buy it.

Is there any sound difference between the 2 cables?

If the coax works, stick with it. You will not find any significant
difference with fiber optic connection (it may be inferior) but you
can try it if you wish. The cost of the cable is minor.

Kal

Len Moskowitz

Capt Nemo wrote:

My toshiba tivo/dvd player SD-H400 has 2 different digital audio outputs.
They are fiber and digital coaxial. My understanding is that they are both
digital sound.
My last dvd player just had digital coaxial sound output (PCM). It worked
well with my yamaha DTS reciever.
Since I already have the digital coaxial, I was going to wire it that way.
If I use the fiber digital, I would have to go buy it.

Is there any sound difference between the 2 cables?

In general, no. In some case the fiber optic will have less jitter and
in others the coax will.

If you're using modern equipment and don't need long (greater than 10
meter) cables or to run through high EMI areas (e.g., near a flourescent light
fixture or high voltage lines) use whatever you have handy.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Jeff Wiseman

Capt Nemo wrote:

My toshiba tivo/dvd player SD-H400 has 2 different digital audio outputs.
They are fiber and digital coaxial. My understanding is that they are both
digital sound.
My last dvd player just had digital coaxial sound output (PCM). It worked
well with my yamaha DTS reciever.
Since I already have the digital coaxial, I was going to wire it that way.
If I use the fiber digital, I would have to go buy it.

Is there any sound difference between the 2 cables?

There can be, but on the equipment that you are talking about, you may not hear it. On less expensive digital equipment (which includes my Yamaha RXV995) my personal experience so far has been that ground loop noise on the coax shield always seems to add a bit more jitter (than the TOSlink) that manifests itself as a very slightly "edgier" sound sometimes described as sounding like more detail or "brighter" in nature. It can make you system sound ever so slightly better if it's a little dull soundling to start with. I have this effect on my system but I soon noticed that it (the jitter) also fouled up the focus in the soundstage. Focus tended to stay a little better with the TOSLINK.

This is one of the reasons people can frequently disagree on these things. Tonally, one thing may sound better but it may only be because it's adding stuff not in the original recording that compensates for a tonal lack in the system. It can sound better by NOT being a truer representation of the signal.

BTW, if you occasionally are getting 1/2 second dropouts in the sound everytime that someone turns on or off an applicance in the house, that can be due to loss of signal frame from the same reasons (noise on the shield). Using a fiber cable in that case can eliminate the problem.

- Jeff

Jeff Wiseman

Capt Nemo wrote:

[...]

Car audio amplifier with digital audio inputs Tha Ghee Car Audio 4 October 1st 04 02:13 PM
dolby digital decoder EFFENDI Car Audio 3 April 1st 04 09:25 AM
Advantages of glass fiber over plastic? John Pro Audio 39 March 22nd 04 11:54 PM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Comment about speaker cables/interconnects Martin High End Audio 18 September 17th 03 04:07 PM