Avi Nahir

Default how to record my trainer

Hi,

I'm a novice marital-arts trainee. I tried recording a training
session, and was disappointed with the results. I understand it's a
tough problem, even tougher than recording lectures: We train in a a
gym with bad acoustics, the instructor keeps moving around
demonstrating the techniques, sometimes with his back to the
microphone, the recorder must be outside the training mattress and I
can't be baby-sitting it. However, I wonder if anyone can suggest some
obvious way to obtain better results.

I used two tape recorders, Sony tcs-580v and Sony tcm-59v. I placed
them just outside the mattress, with their microphones facing the
instructor. I used the recorders' internal microphones (the TCS has
two microphones on its corners, the tcm has a flat one on its front
panel). Both recordings contained a lot of hiss and hum (probably
because I used high microphone sensitivity). It is hard to hear the
instructor, let alone understand what he is saying. The only exception
was when the instructor happened to be near the recorder, and then the
recording was loud and clear.

So it's a tough problem: Not only can't I wire the teacher, he keeps
moving around and talking facing various directions; bad acoustics;
setup has to be outside the mattress and I can't baby-sit it; students
keep moving around, rolling, mumbling, falling and chocking :-)

Did I mention I need a low cost solution ?-)

Thanks for the attention, any feedback is welcome!
Ruth

No substitute for a close microphone.
Retell at http://retellrecorders.co.uk to a lapel mike, but it is not on
their website, you have to call them up on 01932 773852
Ruth

"Avi Nahir" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Richard Crowley

"Rik" wrote ...
How about hanging a mic over head of the centre of the mat.

The acoustics in most gymnasiums (and similar spaces) is
little short of disasterous. Combine that with complete inability
to predict which way the instructor will be facing, and it seems
little better than using an on-camera mic.

In old movies (I don't see modern boxing/wrestling/etc.) you
would see a mic hanging from the center of the ring. But note
that when the ring announcer speaks, they lower the mic and
he close-talks it.

fungus

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Rik" wrote ...

How about hanging a mic over head of the centre of the mat.

old movies (I don't see modern boxing/wrestling/etc.) you
would see a mic hanging from the center of the ring. But note
that when the ring announcer speaks, they lower the mic and
he close-talks it.

Surely that's why they invented the boom mike
- so it could follow the speaker around.

--
\___/ "To err is human, to moo bovine."
/ O O \

fungus

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Rik" wrote ...

How about hanging a mic over head of the centre of the mat.

old movies (I don't see modern boxing/wrestling/etc.) you
would see a mic hanging from the center of the ring. But note
that when the ring announcer speaks, they lower the mic and
he close-talks it.

Surely that's why they invented the boom mike
- so it could follow the speaker around.

--
\___/ "To err is human, to moo bovine."
/ O O \
\_____/ FTB. For email, remove my socks.

Record an audio tape on wave or mp3 format Benoit April General 0 July 10th 04 11:23 PM
MP3 players that record MS General 18 December 5th 03 05:44 PM
can portable cassette recorder record on Type II tapes? 00 General 2 November 10th 03 02:36 PM
Where are those Wascally Weapons of Mass Destwuction??? Jacob Kramer Audio Opinions 1094 September 9th 03 02:20 AM