Pete Hansen

Default music casette to cd transfer faster than real-time?

hello, I've got a collection of old audio cassettes which i want to put on
cds. Now, since there are so many tapes it will take alot of time doing the
recording.

are there any players or other hardware which can do this conversion faster.
My first thoughts about this was a casette-player which would do a playback
in 2x-Nx speed and then the recorded data could be adjusted on a computer.
But I heard that this would require a really special soundcard with a broad
frequency-band unless i wanted poor quality..?

Please Advise

Richard D Pierce

In article ,
Pete Hansen wrote:
hello, I've got a collection of old audio cassettes which i want to put on
cds. Now, since there are so many tapes it will take alot of time doing the
recording.

are there any players or other hardware which can do this conversion faster.
My first thoughts about this was a casette-player which would do a playback
in 2x-Nx speed and then the recorded data could be adjusted on a computer.
But I heard that this would require a really special soundcard with a broad
frequency-band unless i wanted poor quality..?

Well, you could get a card capable of 96 kHz or greater sampling
rate: any problems there just need a little extra money and some
fairly minor software work to solve. That part is REALLY the
easy part.

The bigger problem is that the playback heads, electronics and
such in cassette recorders are NOT designed for this and, by
themselves, will result in poor quality playback to begin with.

Special, high-priced high-speed cassette duplicators might work,
but by the time you get done, you could have probably bought a
couple of extra computers and be running 2 or 3 systems using
normal hardware and software simultaneously doing CD transfers
at normal speed.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
feklar

rjnpages.tripod.com/mp3tutor/mp3page.htm

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:26:51 +0200, "Pete Hansen"
wrote:

hello, I've got a collection of old audio cassettes which i want to put on
cds. Now, since there are so many tapes it will take alot of time doing the
recording.

are there any players or other hardware which can do this conversion faster.
My first thoughts about this was a casette-player which would do a playback
in 2x-Nx speed and then the recorded data could be adjusted on a computer.
But I heard that this would require a really special soundcard with a broad
frequency-band unless i wanted poor quality..?

Please Advise

now you are really screwed
http://www.infernalpress.com/Columns/election.html
http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0307/S00065.htm
Tony Pearce

"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message
Special, high-priced high-speed cassette duplicators might work,
but by the time you get done, you could have probably bought a
couple of extra computers and be running 2 or 3 systems using
normal hardware and software simultaneously doing CD transfers
at normal speed.

Or thrown all the bloody cassettes in the bin and bought the CD's :-)

TonyP.