Luc

Default Boston Acoustics A60 II: Replacement or Retrofit Woofers ?

Mark,

I've had a pair of BA A150 Series II (3-way w/ 10" woofer) for the
last 10+ years and the foam broke up around the woofers last year. I
had the same choices you're faced with and could also repair the foam
myself or in a shop. I looked around at DIY foam repair kits
available for $25-30 and wanted to give it a try, I also called a few
shops and they charged up to $100 per woofer for the repair !!! I
then called BA and found OEM replacement woofers for $60/each
delivered, that was my pick. I did not look at 3rd party woofers.
The OEM woofers look & sound identical to the originals, as stated by
the BA technician I spoke to. I can't comment on the performance of
3rd party woofers being better or worst (or maybe mismatched to the
enclosure & other drivers) but I got back the sound I like so much out
of the A150's for a fraction of what an equivalent speaker may cost
today.

Luc

On 12 Jun 2003 19:32:54 -0700, (beartooth91)
wrote:

Hey Folks,

I just bought a pair of BA A60 II speakers for my basement. These have
the original drivers. The upper range is very detailed and very nice.
However, the bass is a little more boomy than I like and not very well
defined. Both woofers have just been refoamed (before I purchased
them). I am suspicous that the refoaming has alterted the driver
characteristics. I could replace both woofers with BA replacements for
$50 each or for a smidgin more money; I could go with 3rd party
drivers. For the latter, I've been considering the SEAS P21REX or one
of the Vifa M21 or P21 series. Can anyone give me an idea how these
retrofits may sound ? I prefer nice tight and punchy bass if that
helps.
Thanks,

Mark Barrett

Tom1W

I just did the same on my A 70 II's and there replacements were identical to
the originals. It took about 15 minutes and a screwdriver to install them.
It was too hard for me to give up that clarity, depth and definition and go
speaker shopping again.