Jerry Greenberg

Default Reliable CDR player

It is only the newer models that can play CDR disks reliabily. Most CD
players made before about 2000, will not be reliable for CDR playback.
CDR home recordings were not as popular before 2000, and the
manufactures of the players had no need to make their machines rated
for CDR disks.

When purchasing a CD player, make sure that it is rated for CDR disks.
If not, there is no gaurantee that they will play. The type of media
that the machine can play should be written right on the box, or
written in the user booklet.

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

--

Philip Stokes wrote in message ...
I want to find a CD player that will give the best chance of reliably
playing CDR audio burned on a range of blanks from different
manufacturers.

The situation is a conference setup where delegates present their CDRs
and expect them to play without problems on my equipment as they do on
their own equipment.

My experience is that I have to have 3 different players available to be
sure of being able to play something; A very old Akai CDA-70, an oldish
Technics car/portable and a newish Marantz CD60000 SE. The Akai is the
most reliable and the Marantz is the least reliable despite being marked
as CDRW compatible! I have tried various other players - all with mixed
results.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is a CD burner more likely to be able to
play these disks reliably?

Jacob Kramer

On 1 Aug 2003 18:00:03 -0700, (Jerry Greenberg)
wrote:

It is only the newer models that can play CDR disks reliabily. Most CD
players made before about 2000, will not be reliable for CDR playback.
CDR home recordings were not as popular before 2000, and the
manufactures of the players had no need to make their machines rated
for CDR disks.

When purchasing a CD player, make sure that it is rated for CDR disks.
If not, there is no gaurantee that they will play. The type of media
that the machine can play should be written right on the box, or
written in the user booklet.

Jerry Greenberg
http://www.zoom-one.com

I'm surprised you're having trouble with your Marantz. I haven't had
any problems with CD-Rs with a CD-67. On the other hand, I have had
problems with discs burned using some software (and some media
brands). You might try different software and media. I found a
reliable combination of EAC for extraction, Feurio for burning, and
Memorex Black CD-Rs.

--

Jacob Kramer
Robert Morein

[...]

Yes.
For some reason, Sony CD players dating back to 1991 play everything.
It has to do with the AGC control circuit, which adjusts the dynamic range
of the sensor for mediums with different reflectivities.
I remember my shock, anticipating I would have to replace all my CD players,
which happen to be Sonys.
Even the oldest of them play CD-RW, which is the most difficult medium.

Perhaps the fact that Sony is co-author of the Red Book and the Orange Book
account for this remarkable fact.

The above does not apply to early Sony DVD players.

Mark D. Zacharias

Nonsense. Virtually any properly functioning cd player ever made will play a
properly burned cd of virtually any brand, with no problems.

Please note the terms "properly functioning" and "properly burned" and
"virtually".

Many older players have somewhat deteriorated pickups, and some cd burners
produce out-of-spec discs. These factors can muddy the water somewhat.

Some older Philips (including Marantz) players have problems with cd-r's.

I've been working with cd players and cd-r's since their inception - this is
my experience.

Mark Z.

wrote:

[...]

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

For some reason, Sony CD players dating back to 1991 play everything.
It has to do with the AGC control circuit, which adjusts the dynamic
range of the sensor for mediums with different reflectivities.

A standard feature of virtually every CD player and every CDROM drive ever
made, going right back to the Sony CDP-101 (1983).

Philip Stokes

In article , Arny Krueger
writes
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

For some reason, Sony CD players dating back to 1991 play everything.
It has to do with the AGC control circuit, which adjusts the dynamic
range of the sensor for mediums with different reflectivities.

A standard feature of virtually every CD player and every CDROM drive ever
made, going right back to the Sony CDP-101 (1983).

Are you referring to virtually every SONY player? - or players from all
manufacturers?

--
Philip Stokes
Rich Andrews

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in
news
Nonsense. Virtually any properly functioning cd player ever made will
play a properly burned cd of virtually any brand, with no problems.

Please note the terms "properly functioning" and "properly burned" and
"virtually".

Many older players have somewhat deteriorated pickups, and some cd
burners produce out-of-spec discs. These factors can muddy the water
somewhat.

Some older Philips (including Marantz) players have problems with
cd-r's.

I've been working with cd players and cd-r's since their inception -
this is my experience.

Mark Z.

My experince matches Mark's. I can play CDR's on all my CD players including
my oldest player which was made in 1988 IIRC. That 1988 player was not a
great player. Just one that cost about $225.00 IIRC. Cheap crap by todays
standards.

wrote:

[...]

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Rich Andrews

"Arny Krueger" wrote in
:

"Philip Stokes" wrote in message
In article , Arny Krueger
writes
"Robert Morein" wrote in message

For some reason, Sony CD players dating back to 1991 play everything.
It has to do with the AGC control circuit, which adjusts the dynamic
range of the sensor for mediums with different reflectivities.

A standard feature of virtually every CD player and every CDROM drive

ever
made, going right back to the Sony CDP-101 (1983).

Are you referring to virtually every SONY player? - or players from all
manufacturers?

AFAIK *all* of them, Sony or not.

As far as Sony CD players have a brand advantage when it comes to CD-Rs, I
know of no such thing. In fact some of the worst behaved players I've seen
were Sonys, but I think that is just a coincidence.

I never cared for the sound of Sony players. Too harsh.