Matt Distefano

Default Outboard surround processors

So I'm looking for an inexpensive, external DTS and Dolby Digital surround
decoder. Something along the lines of the Technics SH-AC500D. In fact, that
SH-AC500D is about the only thing I've been able to find that fits the bill,
which is basically why I'm here. Anybody know of similarly-priced
alternatives?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

steve grinstead

Why when you can get a complete receiver for 200 bucks?
I used to have the technics and thought it sounded great untill I got a
yammy receiver. It blew away the tecnics. But the technics is okayfor low
level audio systems
I dont know where you could find one. Not much market when you can got a
complete all in one system with everything at wallmart for less than 200
bucks! INCLUDING DVD
"Matt Distefano" wrote in message
So I'm looking for an inexpensive, external DTS and Dolby Digital surround
decoder. Something along the lines of the Technics SH-AC500D. In fact,

that
SH-AC500D is about the only thing I've been able to find that fits the

bill,
which is basically why I'm here. Anybody know of similarly-priced
alternatives?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Shrivel

There are a couple "off-brand" units that do DTS and DD, but they are so
off-brand, I can't even remember the names of them ;-)

What don't you like about the AC500D? From what I've heard, it's a decent
unit for the price. I've only heard 2 major complaints about it:

1. The output may not be high enough to function well as a standalone AV
pre-amp. This is obviously not a problem if you are using it in conjunction
with a receiver with 6 channel inputs.

2. No FM demodulated Dolby Digital input for use with laserdisc players.
Again, obviously not a problem if you have no laserdisc player.

Another option you may want to consider, if you're dead-set on not having to
buy a receiver or AV pre/pro and amps is to get one of the several outboard
Dolby Digital processors (where you'll have a few more choices) and combine
it with one of the Millenium 2.4.6 DTS decoders (less than 200 bucks used).
I believe Denon also makes a standalone DTS decoder, although I've never
seen or heard the thing. The 2 units can be "daisy-chained" to work
together with no problems. You'll have more to choose from, but the price
will obviously be pretty outrageous.