trombone student

Default trouble with akai cassette deck

I recently acquired an Akai CS-702D, it worked fine at first, but now
although perfectly capable of rewinding or fast forwarding all the way
through a tape, it is unable to play them. I hit the play button, and
everything is fine for a few seconds, and then the player stops, as if it is
at the end of the tape, this is my first nice tape deck, and I would like to
keep it if at all possible, the nearest repair shop that will look at it is
quite a drive away, so I would like to have some clue what I'm up against
before I drag it in. Thanks for the help :-)

Norbert Hahn

I haven't read any response, so I'll try

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 05:44:23 GMT, "trombone student"
wrote:

I recently acquired an Akai CS-702D, it worked fine at first, but now
although perfectly capable of rewinding or fast forwarding all the way
through a tape, it is unable to play them.

I don't know that deck but I own an Akai GX-75 and GX-75 mkII.

I hit the play button, and
everything is fine for a few seconds, and then the player stops, as if it is
at the end of the tape,

There can be several reasons for this behaviour: The logic circuits in
the deck have to determine the end of tape. This can be done by
several means: Checking the motor current for a sudden increase -
or checking the signal generated by the motor that is pulled by the
tape.

Method 1 is used for rewind and forward. Method 2 is used during
play and record.

Both methods fail rarely, so I assume another fault:

The Akai GX75 series decks have a motor for loading the tape and
positioning the tape heads and pinch rollers. This has two points of
failure rsp. needs for service. The motor drives the CAM pully by a
belt which usually wears. You may hear a whirr when the belt slips,
esp. when you hit the play key.

Replacing the belt is somewhat cumbersome and needs some skill.
The mechanics have some provision to determine the position of the
CAM wheel which stears the tape heads and the pinch rollers. A
potentiometer is attached to the end of the axis The supply voltage
is 10.0 V and the potentiometer divides this according to the postion
of the tape heads/pinch roller assembly to
FF and REW 5.7 V
Play and Record 8.5 V
IPSS FF/REW 7.0 V
Eject 1.5 V
Due to ageing the minimum and maximum voltages deviate from
those nominal voltage and need alignment: There are to small
potentiometers, one for the lower voltage, the other for the high
voltage. After some years of operating those potentiometers
require re-setting. All you need is a screw driver, a voltmeter
and a service manual for the reference values.

this is my first nice tape deck, and I would like to
keep it if at all possible, the nearest repair shop that will look at it is
quite a drive away, so I would like to have some clue what I'm up against
before I drag it in. Thanks for the help :-)

The repair shop should have the service manual for you deck and
some experience with the alignment procedure.

HTH
Norbert

Richard Kuschel

I recently acquired an Akai CS-702D, it worked fine at first, but now
although perfectly capable of rewinding or fast forwarding all the way
through a tape, it is unable to play them. I hit the play button, and
everything is fine for a few seconds, and then the player stops, as if it is
at the end of the tape, this is my first nice tape deck, and I would like to
keep it if at all possible, the nearest repair shop that will look at it is
quite a drive away, so I would like to have some clue what I'm up against
before I drag it in. Thanks for the help :-)

If it isn't gummy lubrication or bad belts and pinch rollers, it would be a lot
easier to buy a different deck that operates correctly.
Richard H. Kuschel