Stephen Judge

Default Optimus LX5 mods.

Thanks
The SEAS unit I used (as reccomended in Larry and Eric's website, was an
MP14 RCY 5" mid/bass unit.
It too was a straight swap for the original and I have not changed the
crossover either.
Do you know what SEAS unit you used ?
"JTHANSFORD" wrote in message
This relates to the Optimus Pro LX5 loudspeaker (the one with the Linaeum
ribbon tweeter).

I swapped the bass driver for a SEAS driver in a pair of LX5's some time

back.
I remember having questions about which of two different SEAS drivers to

use
but got one that I thought had specs closer to the original box. It was a
drop-in fit and worked o.k., but I lost interest as I was just buying some

of
the now-extinct Michaura speakers. I still have the modified LX5's as

well as
a stock pair. If I get some time, I will test the out and see how they
compare. But to answer your question, they still has some bass after the
conversion. I didn't change the cross-overs at all, and just added a bit

more
fiferfill to each box.

Joe Hansford

JTHANSFORD

Do you know what SEAS unit you used ?

Yes, I used the SEAS P14 5" driver, which is all that Madisound had available
when I ordered. The MP14 RCY that you are using was the one I wanted since the
freq. response looked flatter.

I compared my modified LX5's with a stock pair today and find the same thing
you report--no bass to speak of. I assume that means some changes are needed
to the crossover circuit. The stock 5" driver that RS used is a better quality
unit than I expected, upon inspection, but I don't have specs.

Joe Hansford

Wel

Try posting to the following links/newsgroups for more help, if you
haven't done so already:
1. http://www.pesupport.com/cgi-bin/config.pl (this is also where I
bought my crossover parts for my modded lx5)
2. www.audioreview.com (try looking up the reviews for the LX5 and
then emailing the users that did the modifications)
3. www.audioasylum.com

I did the lx5 modifications but with the original stock driver, not
the SEAS. I did notice less bass, but nothing significant like yours.
Assuming your wiring is correct (polarity, solder connections, etc.),
I'd suspect that implementing the crossover would help. It's also a
possibility that your SEAS drivers are defective.

For my modifications, my goodness, the midrange truly cleared up and
made voices much more audible and music warmer sounding. Very nice
indeed. Good luck with you troubleshooting and I do hope you complete
your modifications with excellent results.

One more suggestion, get a nice powered subwoofer if you don't have
one. Here's an excellent steal:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-739&DID=7,
which I have. Amazing subwoofer bang for the buck. And compliments the
LX5 very well. You'd be impressed at how low and clean this baby goes.

If you have any other questions, you can email me directly.
Good luck,
welski

********************************
(JTHANSFORD) wrote in message ...
Do you know what SEAS unit you used ?

Yes, I used the SEAS P14 5" driver, which is all that Madisound had available
when I ordered. The MP14 RCY that you are using was the one I wanted since the
freq. response looked flatter.

I compared my modified LX5's with a stock pair today and find the same thing
you report--no bass to speak of. I assume that means some changes are needed
to the crossover circuit. The stock 5" driver that RS used is a better quality
unit than I expected, upon inspection, but I don't have specs.

Joe Hansford

Wel

One thing I forgot to note. Remember that the tweeter is wired out of
phase with the woofer. The tweeter's blue wire is really positive,
even those it was connected to the negative terminal in the original
stock setup. I would strongly suggest this to be your culprit (even
though you said you have the polarity correct).

I think this may be the reason for my lack of bass as well that I
mentioned, which my sub ended up filling in.

I'll take my speakers apart tomorrow and verify if my connections are
correct.

Wel

"Stephen Judge" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the response.
The SEAS drivers have been checked out Ok and polarity is fine etc.
Also have a REL subwoofer which I must admit has been difficult to integrate
with the LX5s. However works much better with my hybrid electrostatics wgich
go much lower anyway.
I'll try the suggestions you have given - if not time to sell the SEAS !
Stephen
"Wel" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My Review of the Radio Shack Optimus PRO XVI AAA/MK7 Robert Morein Audio Opinions 5 February 11th 04 08:28 AM
does anyone know who does tube mods for gefell um70's kieran kelly Pro Audio 0 December 12th 03 12:02 AM
Tandy / Radio Shack LX5 mods Stephen Judge Audio Opinions 0 July 16th 03 04:55 AM
Sansui TU-717 mods Thomas Tech 0 July 10th 03 10:12 PM
Eddie Ciletti's LA4 mods? georgeh Pro Audio 0 July 2nd 03 04:31 PM