Barry Mann

Default 70 volt systems. How many speakers?

In , on
07/17/03
at 11:53 PM, "jriegle" said:

Our company's telephone system is connected to a 100 watt Bogen paging
amp. I wonder how many speakers can the system handle. The speaker
transformers have wattage ratings on the primary and a speaker
impedance on the secondary to match the load. If I have 20 speakers,
do I use the 5 watt taps (5x20=100)?

At first blush this would be fine, but 5 watts may be much more power
than you'll need for a small room. There is also no need to keep all
the taps at the same level or have the total come out even at 100
Watts. Give large rooms more power than the small rooms.

The beauty of the 70 Volt system is that you can keep adding speakers
till you reach the amplifer's limit -- the only surprises being that a
given room may be too loud or too quiet relative to the others.

If the dynamics of a particular room might change, speaker and wall
mount local volume controls are available.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

GregS

In article , "jriegle" wrote:
Our company's telephone system is connected to a 100 watt Bogen paging amp.
I wonder how many speakers can the system handle. The speaker transformers
have wattage ratings on the primary and a speaker impedance on the secondary
to match the load. If I have 20 speakers, do I use the 5 watt taps
(5x20=100)?

Exactly. If some areas need more or less watts, then it would be different. Remember,
the overall volume will be controlled by the amplifiers input volume control, but
the 100 watts will be max.

greg
Lee Salter

" Our company's telephone system is connected to a 100 watt Bogen
paging amp.
I wonder how many speakers can the system handle. The speaker transformers
have wattage ratings on the primary and a speaker impedance on the secondary
to match the load. If I have 20 speakers, do I use the 5 watt taps

If you're talking about an office environment, 1/2 to 1 1/2 watts
should be plenty of power per speaker, a shop environment might
require more and you would probably use horn speakers.

Do you remember the announcements when you were in school? Most
school systems are set up using 1/2 watt per speaker. The principal's
voice was generally pretty loud.

Lee Salter