CJT

Default End of an Era

Barry Mann wrote:

According to an article in the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer, "record
changer" has been removed from the 11th edition of its Collegiate
Dictionary.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

The Philadelphia Inquirer publishes a Dictionary? I'm not convinced
that's much of an authority.

Robert Morein

"CJT" wrote in message
Barry Mann wrote:

According to an article in the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer, "record
changer" has been removed from the 11th edition of its Collegiate
Dictionary.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

The Philadelphia Inquirer publishes a Dictionary? I'm not convinced
that's much of an authority.

I live in this town, and I've never heard of an Inquirer dictionary.

Jerry G.

You should try to look up gramophone. This is the original word for the
record player, and is really the official word. I am sure it will be in
the dictionary forever. There are many words for things that are no
longer used, or existed at one time or another.

Recognized dictionaries are the Compton, Oxford, and Webster, just to
mention a few.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
"Barry Mann" wrote in message
om...
According to an article in the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer, "record
changer" has been removed from the 11th edition of its Collegiate
Dictionary.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

Richard D Pierce

Ahh yes, our resident expert spews forth:

In article ,
Jerry G. wrote:
You should try to look up gramophone. This is the original word for the
record player, and is really the official word.

The "official" word? Really?

Can you point to the standards organization in which this word
is "officially" sanctioned or required? ITU? AES? ISO? IEC?

What penalty is levied by such organization for non-use of this
"official" word?

Sheesh...

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
CJT

Dixie Normous wrote:

Robert Morein wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

Barry Mann wrote:

According to an article in the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer, "record
changer" has been removed from the 11th edition of its Collegiate
Dictionary.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

The Philadelphia Inquirer publishes a Dictionary? I'm not convinced
that's much of an authority.

I live in this town, and I've never heard of an Inquirer dictionary.

too bad you can't read

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/new...ck/6289828.htm

Pity that's not what the OP said.

WindsorFox[SS]

Dixie Normous wrote:

too bad you can't read

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/new...ck/6289828.htm

An illiterate evaluating other peoples reading comprehension, how
interesting. The original post says nothing about the Merriam-Webster
dictionary, only the Philly Inquirer leading one to believe that the
dictionary is of the same name. Since there was no link in the
original post as well one can only assume which dictionary he was
referring to. I would suggest you pay more attention to the facts
available in the post at hand before going off half cocked and
calling other people illiterate, it makes you look rather an ass
which your post name seems to confirm...

Dixie Normous

WindsorFox[SS] wrote:
Dixie Normous wrote:

too bad you can't read

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/new...ck/6289828.htm

An illiterate evaluating other peoples reading comprehension, how
interesting. The original post says nothing about the Merriam-Webster
dictionary, only the Philly Inquirer leading one to believe that the
dictionary is of the same name.

No, most literate people assume that he was referring to an established
dictionary, and merely made a slight omission by associating it with the
paper that reported it. A quick google was all it took for me to
confirm what I assumed about the OP.

Since there was no link in the original
post as well one can only assume which dictionary he was referring to.

No, you just wanted to engage in trolling.

would suggest you pay more attention to the facts available in the post
at hand before going off half cocked and calling other people
illiterate, it makes you look rather an ass which your post name seems
to confirm...

I don't know how you can infer that my post was illiterate. There is
nothing wrong with using an alias, I suppose your birth certificate has
Windsor Fox on it? I change my alias often, this is just the one I
currently find amusing. It was the name of Gwenyth Paltrow's spy
character in the opening sequence of the Austin Powers Goldmember movie.

Lighten up, this is usenet, not real life.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:20:32 GMT, Browntimdc
wrote:

(Barry Mann) wrote in news:3f14be1e$1$avgroveq
:

According to an article in the Sunday Philadelphia Inquirer, "record
changer" has been removed from the 11th edition of its Collegiate
Dictionary.

Of course any self respecting audio enthusiast [not to mention audiophile]
never owned a record changer, she owns a [hopefully manual] turntable. SO
good riddance.

Anyone remember the Thorens TD 224? :-)