bigdogdude

Default Philips GA212 turntable problem

I've got a Philips 212 in my restoration stack, which has a problem I have
not run into with them before... I hope someone else has seen this.

When the motor is under a load, such as during startup, the unit wants to
switch to "stop". I can hold my finger across the touch pad surfaces long
enough for it to come up to speed (both 33 and 45), but the slightest drag
on the platter causes it to stop (and the stop pad illuminates). Clearly the
extra current demand is the root of the problem, but I don't recall this
version having a very advanced servo system (IOW placing the arm on an LP
will drag a 212's speed down a bit). Here, it's as though instead of
dragging down a bit - it shuts down.

This example is in minty looking condition - I hate to junk/part it out...
ditto for fixing it vs. selling it as a fixer. Input please???

Barry Mann

In , on 07/09/03
at 04:39 PM, "bigdogdude" said:

[...]

Make sure *ALL* the lamps are working. If not, the unit will behave
badly. Each unit has it's own quirky behavior when a lamp or two is
out, it's hard to predict exactly what will happen.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]

Tim Schwartz

Hello,
I agree with Barry Mann about the lights but will add the the correct
current (40 ma?) lamps are critical. Also make sure the capacitance
switches are clean. If crud builds up in the space between the center
dot and the outer ring, the switches may trigger for no reason at
random, and it gets worse with humidity. A dry q-tip or one with a bit
of windex on it seems to work ok for cleaning. I would avoid any
solvents that might attack the plastic, and you don't want any residue.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics

bigdogdude wrote:

I've got a Philips 212 in my restoration stack, which has a problem I have
not run into with them before... I hope someone else has seen this.

When the motor is under a load, such as during startup, the unit wants to
switch to "stop". I can hold my finger across the touch pad surfaces long
enough for it to come up to speed (both 33 and 45), but the slightest drag
on the platter causes it to stop (and the stop pad illuminates). Clearly the
extra current demand is the root of the problem, but I don't recall this
version having a very advanced servo system (IOW placing the arm on an LP
will drag a 212's speed down a bit). Here, it's as though instead of
dragging down a bit - it shuts down.

This example is in minty looking condition - I hate to junk/part it out...
ditto for fixing it vs. selling it as a fixer. Input please???

bigdogdude

Thanks guys! Here's where I am at now...

The lamps are fine (and correct factory - 6.3v ,44ma), however I strongly
suspect either the motor is drawing excessive current, or there is an issue
with the power supply. Without the platter in place (but with the belt on,
turning the sub-platter), the speed pad lamp as well as the end of record
optical sensor lamp dim as the motor corrects speed. Slow the motor only
slightly, and they dim a great deal. Also torque is extremely low for this
model.

I appreciate the input - but I think this one is going to go on eBay as a
clean fixer. I have a soft spot for these old 212's, and I am sure someone
else will too.

Alan

bigdogdude wrote:

[...]

vernvan vernvan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogdude
I've got a Philips 212 in my restoration stack, which has a problem I have
not run into with them before... I hope someone else has seen this.

When the motor is under a load, such as during startup, the unit wants to
switch to "stop". I can hold my finger across the touch pad surfaces long
enough for it to come up to speed (both 33 and 45), but the slightest drag
on the platter causes it to stop (and the stop pad illuminates). Clearly the
extra current demand is the root of the problem, but I don't recall this
version having a very advanced servo system (IOW placing the arm on an LP
will drag a 212's speed down a bit). Here, it's as though instead of
dragging down a bit - it shuts down.

This example is in minty looking condition - I hate to junk/part it out...
ditto for fixing it vs. selling it as a fixer. Input please???
I know that this answer is a couple years late, but I was searching for an on/off switch for my GA212 and ran across this. I have had this problem a couple times and know the fix. You have a bad transistor. If you lift the platter off, you will see a round silver transister about the size of a nickel. It needs to be replaced and your 212 will work again.

Vern