Robert Morein

Default FS: ONKYO T-9990 Hi-End BLUEBOOK valued as required by CCP!

"choro-nik" wrote in message
"Robert Morein" wrote in message
ws.com...
On 15/7/03 18:52, in article , "Ball Lam"
wrote:

-9990 Hi-End FM tuner which is the
european edition of T-9090 MK II. Mind one in 8.5/10 condition due

very
minor scratches on the top and front. Working voltage is 220V. I only
ask for USD300 plus

Bluebook value, $110. Note wrong, unusable voltage.

RIPOFF ALERT!

in all honesty, the seller has clearly indicated that this is the european
model and that the item works off 220V mains. However, if the Bluebook

value
is $110, this is clearly a RIPOFF, as you say.

Choronik,
It's not $110. In his forgery of my name, McCarty always quotes a single
price in the Bluebook, IF THAT, which happens to be the "wholesale average
condition" quotation. That happens to be the price that some sample of
dealers ALLEGE they pay retail customers if they walk in the door with a
piece of equipment. There is general agreement that
a. This price is not relevant to enduser to enduser transactions.
b. The quotations are reports by dealers that may not be accurate,
since there is absolutely no auditing procedure for these voluntary reports.

I personally own two of these tuners for which I paid $300 each. They are
the DXers favorites throughout the transpacific regions, due to their double
RF stages, double balanced mixers, and three selectable IF bandwidths. In my
case, they are the only tuners in my experience that can pick up NYC from
the other side of the hill. Due to their low power requirement, they are
easily powered through a step down transformer. Oddly enough, they are quite
popular in McCarty's region of Queensland, Australia, due to their ability
to reach deep into the Pacific for FM "island hopping."

Please do not encourage McCarty. Although I realize that on some occasions
McCarty may happen to voice an opinion with which some of us may sympathize,
the issue of McCarty has nothing to do with audio. If you've been following
the posts, McCarty is actually a very active scammer himself, who by some
twisted logic (holier than thou?) tries to cleanse his soul by attacking
quite innocent people.

choro-nik

A European model will NOT work in America (or vice versa for that matter)
unless connected to the mains via a transformer. Additionally the mains
frequencies vary which is another trap for the unwary. Unless the mains
frequency input can be altered, the item would be useless in the USA.
--
choro-nik
*******

wrote:

-9990 Hi-End FM tuner which is the
european edition of T-9090 MK II. Mind one in 8.5/10 condition due very
minor scratches on the top and front. Working voltage is 220V. I only
ask for USD300 plus

Note wrong, unusable voltage.

Idiot alert

Robert Morein

"choro-nik" wrote in message
news
A European model will NOT work in America (or vice versa for that matter)
unless connected to the mains via a transformer. Additionally the mains
frequencies vary which is another trap for the unwary. Unless the mains
frequency input can be altered, the item would be useless in the USA.
--
choro-nik
*******

As I write this, I have before me the schematic for the unit.
There is absolutely nothing different in the power supply other than T901
itself, the power transformer.

The impression that some devices are sensitive to line frequency comes from
AC induction motors. It is indeed true that 50 and 60 Hz induction motor
units are not interchangeable. However, a transformer is not a tuned device.
The frequency over which I will work is broadly a function of the amount of
iron in the core and the thickness of the laminations. However, this is not
a sharp effect. In my laboratory I am developing a linear induction motor.
This motor is impedance matched by an ordinary toroidal power transformer --
even though the driving frequency varies between 175 Hz and 400 Hz. It works
fine.

The problem with a European tuner in the U.S. relates to the deemphasis. In
Europe, it is 50 microseconds. In the U.S., it is 75 microseconds. I do not
know what it is in Hong Kong, because the manual doesn't state it. However,
a U.S. buyer should be cautious.

In view of the fact that the seller states the line voltage, I do not think
that his intentions are dishonorable.

Hans

"Robert Morein" skrev i en meddelelse

The problem with a European tuner in the U.S. relates to the deemphasis.

In
Europe, it is 50 microseconds. In the U.S., it is 75 microseconds. I do

not
know what it is in Hong Kong, because the manual doesn't state it.

However,
a U.S. buyer should be cautious.

How about frequency stepping in the US? In Europe the stepping is 25KHz. and
12,5KHz.. Therefore the tuner cannot be tuned to ex. 96.6Mhz.

/ Hans

Robert Morein

"Hans" wrote in message
k...
"Robert Morein" skrev i en meddelelse

The problem with a European tuner in the U.S. relates to the deemphasis.

In
Europe, it is 50 microseconds. In the U.S., it is 75 microseconds. I do

not
know what it is in Hong Kong, because the manual doesn't state it.

However,
a U.S. buyer should be cautious.

How about frequency stepping in the US? In Europe the stepping is 25KHz.

and
12,5KHz.. Therefore the tuner cannot be tuned to ex. 96.6Mhz.

/ Hans

The manual describes this unit as having 50 kHz steps in auto mode, and 25
kHz steps in manual mode. This means it can tune all U.S. frequencies.
However, your mention of 12,5 kHz puzzles me. Perhaps you mean 125 kHz ?

In the U.S., local stations are spaced 400 kHz apart, while stations in
different locals may be spaced 200 kHz apart.

choro-nik

What me trying for the #2 position? You must be out of your mind.

I only make takeover bids!

--
choro-nik
*******

choro-nik wrote:

A European model will NOT work in America (or vice versa for that

matter)
unless connected to the mains via a transformer. Additionally the mains
frequencies vary which is another trap for the unwary. Unless the mains
frequency input can be altered, the item would be useless in the USA.

Re you trying out for McCarthy's #2 position?? Most of what you
typed is of no consequence as this is a world wide group and he
specifically said that it is a 240V unit.