Jimbo

Default cd music file burning technique question

"RB" wrote in message ...
Just getting started in CD music burning, and I think I've made enough
mistakes to write a book! Anyway, I need help in getting the dust settled,
so here goes.

My problem was that if I only put one small music file on a CD and then went
back later to add more, MediaPlayer wouldn't let me do it. So, I have
several nice coasters with only one small music file on them, and lots of
unused capacity.

Now my impressions are the following:

a. the cds need to be "finalized" before they can be played.

b. If you finalize a cd, you can't go back and add addtional files, even if
there's plenty of room.

c. my MediaPlayer automatically finalizes after each burn, regardless of
whether the burn is one small file, or a whole playlist of files.

d. to get around this problem, I need to go to Nero or CD Creator, or one
of the programs like that (they'll let me burn one file at a time without
forcing me to finalize).

e. however, if I put a music file on an unfinalized cd, I can't use it.

f. a related workaround would be to erase the disc and then put a
full-house playlist of music on each one.

Is this about the size of the whole issue? If I've got it right, then this
is just something I have to live with and get on with things.

Now, can Nero or CD Creator erase R/W CDs?

YEP!

Get NERO now!

Many of your problems will go away. Nero will let you un-finalize,
finalized CDs.

A good burner and good media is also essential to get the most out of
the process.

If you have an old burner, or a cheap one, it might be time to look at
a newer one as well.

If you are only doing music or computer back-ups then I would say get
a Plextor "PlexWriter™ Premium" or even one of their "PX-708A" which
should be out soon. The PX-708A is a DVD-Burner as well.

If all you care about is price and copying copy protected games in
addition to your music, then take a look at Lite-Ons.

But first get Nero. If you get into copying games you will also want
to get a program called "Alcohol 120%".

Finally, if you have a decent CD burner now, make sure that you have
the latest firmware updates for it as well.

My first few weeks with a burner were very frustrating as well. That
was back in 1998 and things have gotten a lot easier these days.

You may want to visit here as well.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/