Leonid Makarovsky

Default What's the right away to record audio from LaserDisc

William Sommerwerck wrote:
: The LD digital track is conventional CD format, 16 bits per channel at a
: 44.1kHz sampling rate.

So does it mean that I have to set S/PDIF to 44,100kHz to get bit for bit
accurate transfer? I noticed there's also analog track. Is it a digital
converted to analog on the fly or just an analog track? How is it stored there
as analog? Would it be better to convert the analog to 48000kHz with my M-Audio
rather than doing S/PDIF and then convert to 48000 as a postprocessing?

--Leonid

Kurt Albershardt

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
: The LD digital track is conventional CD format, 16 bits per channel at a
: 44.1kHz sampling rate.

So does it mean that I have to set S/PDIF to 44,100kHz to get bit for bit
accurate transfer?

If you set the card to sync on the incoming signal, you should get whatever comes out. I have seen cases where the software making the recording was set to the wrong rate and the headers ended up wrong.

Would it be better to convert the analog to 48000kHz with my M-Audio
rather than doing S/PDIF and then convert to 48000 as a postprocessing?

Probably better to to the SRC later with the best algorithm you can find. This might take a bit of time, but IMO definitely worth it.

Leonid Makarovsky

Kurt Albershardt wrote:
: If you set the card to sync on the incoming signal, you should get whatever
: comes out. I have seen cases where the software making the recording was set
: to the wrong rate and the headers ended up wrong.

Well, that's the thing that I can't find the settings that set the card to sync
to whatever comes in. It is set to external clock. Yes. But it doesn't lock
the sampling rate. I have to choose it.

: Would it be better to convert the analog to 48000kHz with my M-Audio
: rather than doing S/PDIF and then convert to 48000 as a postprocessing?

: Probably better to to the SRC later with the best algorithm you can find.
: This might take a bit of time, but IMO definitely worth it.

Time doesn't matter. I just wonder if digital track on LDs is converted from
analog LD track or somehow they are both converted from source and mixed
differently. I have no idea.

--Leonid

William Sommerwerck

The LD digital track is conventional CD format,
16 bits per channel at a 44.1kHz sampling rate.

So does it mean I have to set S/PDIF to 44,100 Hz
to get bit for bit accurate transfer?

Ah, yup.

I noticed there's also analog track. Is it a digital
converted to analog on the fly or just an analog track?

It's completely separate and independent stereo analog track.

How is it stored there as analog?

FM subcarrier.

Would it be better to convert the analog to 48 kHz with
my M-Audio rather than doing S/PDIF and then convert to
48k as a postprocessing?

The analog track does not always match the digital track. For example, it
sometimes includes a running commentary or supplementary material.

If the digital track has what you want, you should transfer it directly.

Leonid Makarovsky

William Sommerwerck wrote:
: I noticed there's also analog track. Is it a digital
: converted to analog on the fly or just an analog track?

: It's completely separate and independent stereo analog track.

: How is it stored there as analog?

: FM subcarrier.

But it's with lazer - so it's still 1s and 0s - digital?

: Would it be better to convert the analog to 48 kHz with
: my M-Audio rather than doing S/PDIF and then convert to
: 48k as a postprocessing?

: The analog track does not always match the digital track. For example, it
: sometimes includes a running commentary or supplementary material.

: If the digital track has what you want, you should transfer it directly.

In my case they match. It's a live concert. So now the question is whether
the digital track was obtained from analog track. If that's the case I'll just
do analog to digital myself 'cause I'll go directly to 48kHz rather than
converting digital track from 44,1kHz to 48kHz.

--Leonid

Kurt Albershardt

Leonid Makarovsky wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I noticed there's also analog track. Is it a digital
converted to analog on the fly or just an analog track?

It's completely separate and independent stereo analog track.

How is it stored there as analog?

FM subcarrier.

But it's with lazer - so it's still 1s and 0s - digital?

No. LaserDisc is an analog medium. The video is analog and the original format audio tracks were analog as well, occasionally CX noise reduced and eventually PCM overlay was added.

If the digital track has what you want, you should transfer it directly.

In my case they match. It's a live concert. So now the question is whether
the digital track was obtained from analog track. If that's the case I'll just
do analog to digital myself 'cause I'll go directly to 48kHz rather than
converting digital track from 44,1kHz to 48kHz.

You would have to know some not-so-easily-available postproduction info in order to be sure of that.

Which track sounds better?