Roy

Default Audio Editig Software for XP

Boy did I get a good deal. $119 dollars for ProTools 6.1 on
Ebay...........whaddaya mean I need an Mbox for another $300-$400.

So there you have it ..Do I go the extra bucks and get the Mbox on
ebay or do I forget the whole thing, sell off the Pro Tools software
and go another route. Maybe get Vegas as an Audio editor I hear it
really kicks butt as an editor even if you don't use the NLE aspect of
it.. I can get an educational package of Vegas 4.0 , Acid and Sound
Forge for $299. (do educational editions have something missing?)
Adobe Audition? Lots of good sound samples...Audition was Cool Edit
which I heard was good.

Any thoughts any one may have on this would be welcomed.....and any
thoughts on how to sell a Pro Tools Package with out an Mbox if need
be would be welcome too specially since the village idiot appears to
have smartened up a bit. :-)

Is there and FAq or link I can o to since I'm sure this is asked time
and time again...then again products are always evolving so yesterdays
thread is tomorrows history.

Peace

Roy
james

In article ,
Roy wrote:

Magix Audio Studio 2004. www.magix.com

Sure it may not be the best thing out there, but
for $80 it certainly gets the job done.

Roy

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:32:27 GMT, (james)

Roy wrote:

Magix Audio Studio 2004.
www.magix.com

Sure it may not be the best thing out there, but
for $80 it certainly gets the job done.

Hi James

Thanks for the reply.

Price doesn't always mean everey thig. If you had $400 and had to
spend it on software would this be worth $400 or is there something
else you'd get?

Roy

Arny Krueger

Roy wrote:

Magix Audio Studio 2004.
www.magix.com

Sure it may not be the best thing out there, but
for $80 it certainly gets the job done.

Hi James

Thanks for the reply.

Price doesn't always mean everey thig. If you had $400 and had to
spend it on software would this be worth $400 or is there something
else you'd get?

If you're up in that price range, check out Adobe Audition.

james

In article ,
Roy wrote:

Price doesn't always mean everey thig. If you had $400 and had to
spend it on software would this be worth $400 or is there something
else you'd get?

That's a tough question. I was using a more expensive package and
it was Magix that solved the problems I was having. On the other hand,
I wouldn't pay much more for it. If they raise the price for the next
version, I hope they polish the German-English translation.

I'll put it this way, if my software budget was $400, I'd try damned
hard to make it $480 because I'd want to add this program to whatever
else I had.

I'd actually like to hear from the audio snobs, reasons why Magix isn't
considered the cat's pajamas. If they'd port this app to linux it would
be heaven. (And it's a German company, so the linux port doesn't seem
far-fetched at all!)

What's Adobe Audition except a new improved Cool Edit, BTW?
Roy

If you're up in that price range, check out Adobe Audition.

I'm open to Audition for sure, I just wanted to hear some pros and
cons on some of the software from people who've tried it.

Roy

Roy

That's a tough question. I was using a more expensive package and
it was Magix that solved the problems I was having. On the other hand,
I wouldn't pay much more for it. If they raise the price for the next
version, I hope they polish the German-English translation.

I'll put it this way, if my software budget was $400, I'd try damned
hard to make it $480 because I'd want to add this program to whatever
else I had.

Damn good point. I certainly check it out. I saw the site was German.
Is there a problem with the english translation of the software as I
think I'm hearing you imply?

I'd actually like to hear from the audio snobs, reasons why Magix isn't
considered the cat's pajamas. If they'd port this app to linux it would
be heaven. (And it's a German company, so the linux port doesn't seem
far-fetched at all!)

Ditto

What's Adobe Audition except a new improved Cool Edit, BTW?

It is a repackage of Coll Edit but I'm wondering how others feel about
this product, repackaged or not.

Thanks again for your input

Roy

Eric

Roy wrote:

Boy did I get a good deal. $119 dollars for ProTools 6.1 on
Ebay...........whaddaya mean I need an Mbox for another $300-$400.

Can't say as I'm exactly sure what you bought. Was is a software upgrade?
You cannot use ProTools software without ProTools hardware. The only
exception is ProTools Free. That will basically work with any hardware.

I am pretty sure, whatever you bought will be of no use to you.

--
Eric
www.Raw-Tracks.com

james

In article ,
Roy wrote:

Damn good point. I certainly check it out. I saw the site was German.
Is there a problem with the english translation of the software as I
think I'm hearing you imply?

Slight problems, just a nuisance. I'm not trying to say it's the best
audio program, but I will say it's the best *value* in audio, next to
FLStudio. I prefer it to Logic.

It is a repackage of Coll Edit but I'm wondering how others feel about
this product, repackaged or not.

Depends. For detail work, I like cool edit. For recording and mixing,
I like Magix. But I'm not all that demanding: I play VST instruments
live, I record speech, classical piano, and flute, and very little else.
I tend to not need to edit much, but I do use VST fx.

Arny Krueger

Roy wrote:

If you're up in that price range, check out Adobe Audition.

I'm open to Audition for sure, I just wanted to hear some pros and
cons on some of the software from people who've tried it.

The major advantage of Audition is its strength for doing both stereo and
mulitracking. Features that are optional plug-ins for other software are
standard features of Audition.

For people who want to work extensively with MIDI, Audition's minimal MIDI
support could be a problem.

Roy

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 16:40:13 GMT, Carey Carlan
wrote:

(Roy) wrote in
:

Boy did I get a good deal. $119 dollars for ProTools 6.1 on
Ebay...........whaddaya mean I need an Mbox for another $300-$400.

1) If you got a good deal on eBay, chances are you can sell it with no loss
again on eBay, but...

I Carey

I was being facetious about the good deal.

2) Whatever you get, you'll need an audio interface into your computer.
Mbox is an option. The soundcard in your computer is likely a poorer
option. Other interfaces can run from cheap to far beyond $400.

Now I'm confused. I believe ProTools needs a digidesign proprietary
interface. I currently have the SB Audigy2 platinum interface. I'm
hoping this will satisfy simple mixing needs of other packages, or are
you telling me I'll need something more for something like Audition or
Coll Edit?

Most of my work will be for digital video.

I am not opposed to going the ProTools route with an Mbox or even a
Digi 001. I'm seeing a lot of bundled plug ins with at the pro tools
website. I don't see mention of them on ebay. Are these bundles worth
paying for ProTools with Mbox new? (the digi002 is waaayy outta my
league.

Sorry for tlla the questions but I don't want to make a 2nd mistake
given my budget of between $300-500.

Roy
Roy

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:55:38 -0500, Eric wrote:

Roy wrote:

Boy did I get a good deal. $119 dollars for ProTools 6.1 on
Ebay...........whaddaya mean I need an Mbox for another $300-$400.

Can't say as I'm exactly sure what you bought. Was is a software upgrade?
You cannot use ProTools software without ProTools hardware. The only
exception is ProTools Free. That will basically work with any hardware.

I am pretty sure, whatever you bought will be of no use to you.

--
Eric

Hi Eric

I didn't understand Pro Tools when I bought it...my first post was
factious about the "good deal"..notice I ended it up with the "village
idiot"

I was refering to myself.

Peace

Roy

S O'Neill

Roy wrote:

What's Adobe Audition except a new improved Cool Edit, BTW?

It is a repackage of Coll Edit but I'm wondering how others feel about
this product, repackaged or not.

Thanks again for your input

I used to love Cool Edit 2000, but since then I've dumped windoze. On a
couple of occasions it saved my audio while windoze NT was going down,
so I'd say there's no way you can go wrong with it.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

If all you need is a 2-track editor, a half decent sound card and
Sony's SoundForge 7 (comes bundled with CD Architect 5)
should do quite nicely. Educational editions (if you qualify) are
around $200.

DM

"Roy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Kurt Albershardt

james wrote:

I was using a more expensive package and
it was Magix that solved the problems I was having. On the other hand,
I wouldn't pay much more for it. If they raise the price for the next
version, I hope they polish the German-English translation.

I'll put it this way, if my software budget was $400, I'd try damned
hard to make it $480 because I'd want to add this program to whatever
else I had.

Make it $499 and you could have Magix Samplitude Classic 7.

I'd actually like to hear from the audio snobs, reasons why Magix isn't
considered the cat's pajamas.

Passing on your snob comment, Magix makes one of if not the best software-only DAW packages in the form of Sequoia ($2500.) Their cheapie solution is pretty amazing for the price, but there are steps inbetween as mentioned above.

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?pid=241 will get you last year's version for $99

If they'd port this app to linux it would
be heaven. (And it's a German company, so the linux port doesn't seem
far-fetched at all!)

Not likely anytime soon, from any of these vendors. Too much of the code is working around and through the limitations of the OS in most cases.

Roy

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:18:32 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
wrote:

If all you need is a 2-track editor, a half decent sound card and
Sony's SoundForge 7 (comes bundled with CD Architect 5)
should do quite nicely. Educational editions (if you qualify) are
around $200.

DM

Hi David

Thanks for the reply.

I'll edit more than 2 tracks opnce in the computer but right now I
don't have the call for multi track input to the computer. Howevuh I
don't mind buying with future need in mind so I'm eyeballing used Digi
001's as well.

Roy
james

In article ,
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Make it $499 and you could have Magix Samplitude Classic 7.

Sure. I don't know if Samplitude will give me anything I don't already
have, which has just got to be a thorn in the Magix folks side. While
Magix Audio Studio is a fantastic value for the money, Samplitude is
just an expensive piece of software that damn well better work. See the
difference?

Roy

On 6 Apr 2004 16:10:08 -0400, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

In article
writes:

Boy did I get a good deal. $119 dollars for ProTools 6.1 on
Ebay...........whaddaya mean I need an Mbox for another $300-$400.

So there you have it ..Do I go the extra bucks and get the Mbox on
ebay or do I forget the whole thing, sell off the Pro Tools software
and go another route.

Do you really want ProTools? If so, you might as well buy the
hardware. Suckers like you for the software (only) don't come along
every day. g

Gee Mike...kick a guy when he's down why dontcha ..I've already
refered to my self as the village idiot but is that enough for some
people?? Nooooooo.. :-)

I've just got into video and found by going with some of the standards
I don't go wrong. I know pro tools only by reputation and debates
aside it's the one every one else seems to try to compare to. Plus
that in my audio class my instructor recommended it for the PC
platform (if we had to..which I do) A friend who I respect said that
Vegas, an NLE with superb Audio capability would be a way to go. Now
I'm open. Hell...I've got bunndled software that came with my Audigy
sound card I still can't figure out so regardless of what I get I'm
buying with plenty of room to grow. I just don't want to limit options
for myself down the road if I'm going toi invest $400 (which isn't a
large amount by pro standardst) but even more important is my time to
learn a package. If I'm going to spend time learning a package it's
got to be worth my time.)

I'm totally open to pro tools...buying it new since I saw the Pro
Tools site listed a buch of stuff bundled with it that doesn't seem to
be bundled with the ebay offerings.

Thanks for your reply

Roy

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Kurt Albershardt

james wrote:

In article ,
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

Make it $499 and you could have Magix Samplitude Classic 7.

Sure. I don't know if Samplitude will give me anything I don't already
have, which has just got to be a thorn in the Magix folks side.

Thorn? Are you kidding? Magix Audio Studio and the other low-priced programs are what keeps Magix financially viable and allows them to experiment with highend audio packages like Samplitude and Sequoia. Why do you think their competitors have been sold to mass market companies recently?

While
Magix Audio Studio is a fantastic value for the money, Samplitude is
just an expensive piece of software that damn well better work. See the
difference?

I see the difference and was willing to pay for it. If Magix Audio Studio meets your needs then you should buy it.

james

In article ,
Kurt Albershardt wrote:

I see the difference and was willing to pay for it. If Magix Audio Studio meets your needs then you should buy it.

Actually, I came across all wrong. I discovered Magix quite by
accident. It was one of those things that had failed to sell a single
copy at a local retailer, so it was way cheap. (It was also quite
buggy, this was a few versions ago).

But it was good enough to get me to buy the next version, and the
next...

I know that Samplitude actually rocks. I'm sure it would be great,
but at $800 it's not for me. I don't like the idea of the rental plan
either, I think that's a cultural thing...
RobbH

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:51:57 GMT, Roy wrote:

[snip; following refers to Adobe Audition]

It is a repackage of Coll Edit but I'm wondering how others feel about
this product, repackaged or not.

I use and like Cool Edit Pro 2.1. I use it for producing radio programs,
and my multitrack needs are simple. I'm usually just doing something along
the lines of music -- narration -- music, with an occasional interview
clip thrown in. A lot of what I need to do can be done with two tracks,
and it's quite rare that I need more than three. So what works well for me
might not be adequate for you.

I have no complaints with its waveform editing window; it's a very fine
tool for precise audio editing.

I do have two quibbles with the multitrack window:

1. it sometimes enters a mysterious glitch mode, in which attempts to drag
an audio clip to another location within the multitrack instead produce
this result: the clip remains in the same location, but the audio in it
"slips", i.e. the clip now begins and ends too soon, or too late. This has
to be a bug. I don't encounter it often, and I don't know what causes it,
but it's annoying! Opening the "options" window (F4) seems to force a
return to normal operation, but I'm still not certain about that, either.
I do know that, so far, it has always returned to normal operation
eventually.

2. there is no easy way to select a group of clips, so as to retain all
time relationships among them while dragging them to a new location.
You've gotta hold down the CTRL key and click on each and every one of the
clips you want to select. This is a PITA when you decide to add fifteen
seconds to the middle of a project.

Those are my only complaints! (And if anyone has a solution to them, I'd
love to hear about it.) It's a robust product that so far has handled
everything I've thrown at it.

By the way, have you taken a look at Audacity, the open source editor? It
has some real strengths, although it's designed on a model that doesn't
work at all for me. To satisfy my curiosity, I once tried to use it for
one of my projects, but I came to the conclusion that what I could do in
three tracks on Cool Edit Pro (or DDClipFree, for that matter) would take
more than 35 tracks in Audacity. But it might be worth a look:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Blind Joni

2. there is no easy way to select a group of clips, so as to retain all
time relationships among them while dragging them to a new location.
You've gotta hold down the CTRL key and click on each and every one of the
clips you want to select. This is a PITA when you decide to add fifteen
seconds to the middle of a project.

You can't "lasso" them with a marque type move ...a Windows standard thing?

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637
Pierce Backes

Um, I'm no big fan of protools, but it's worth mentioning that you can
probably get your software to run on an audiomedia III card, and they
sell used on ebay for under $150. I can't say what the latest version
of PT LE the card will run, or whether it even works with XP, but I'm
sure that info's on the digi site someplace.

RobbH

On 07 Apr 2004 01:21:34 GMT, Blind Joni wrote:

[quoting me, Cool Edit Pro 2.1]

2. there is no easy way to select a group of clips, so as to retain all
time relationships among them while dragging them to a new location.
You've gotta hold down the CTRL key and click on each and every one of the
clips you want to select. This is a PITA when you decide to add fifteen
seconds to the middle of a project.

You can't "lasso" them with a marque type move ...a Windows standard thing?

Nope!

However, thanks to your question, I've just gone back and experimented some
more. It now appears to me that drawing a rectangle while holding down the
CTRL key does work. I don't know how I could have missed that in the past.
Thanks for your prodding!

Correction: I have only ONE quibble with Cool Edit Pro!
Roger W. Norman

"Roy" wrote in message
Boy did I get a good deal. $119 dollars for ProTools 6.1 on
Ebay...........whaddaya mean I need an Mbox for another $300-$400.

It depends on whether you have a source input to the computer already or
not. PT needs to see it's own supported hardware, so it's a fact you need
to live with. It's also a fact that you'll need some sort of audio input
into the computer unless you think using the built in soundcard inputs are
good enough. Personally they wouldn't be my first choice. So if you're
talking about getting into Pro Tools for less than $500 I don't know why you
should gripe. Just my $.02.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman

Or, didn't someone on the Samplitude newsgroup point out a $99 version 6
Studio just last week?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
james wrote:

[...]

James Perrett

RobbH wrote:

2. there is no easy way to select a group of clips, so as to retain all
time relationships among them while dragging them to a new location.
You've gotta hold down the CTRL key and click on each and every one of the
clips you want to select. This is a PITA when you decide to add fifteen
seconds to the middle of a project.

Those are my only complaints! (And if anyone has a solution to them, I'd
love to hear about it.) It's a robust product that so far has handled
everything I've thrown at it.

From looking at another post it looks like you found one solution. The
other solution is to use Insert/Delete Time on the edit menu. This will
either insert a given amount of time at the cursor and move everything
after the cursor to the right or, delete a given amount of time, moving
everything after that time to the left. You can also drag the mouse to
select the time that you want to delete.

I've been using Cool Edit pro for over 5 years and I'm still learning
new tricks. They really do listen to user's needs although it seems to
take a little while to add them. I asked for Pro-Tools like region
extension (by just dragging the edge of a clip) and they've now included
that.

Cheers.

James.

Cheers.

James.
Geoff Wood

Roy wrote:
Boy did I get a good deal. $119 dollars for ProTools 6.1 on
Ebay...........whaddaya mean I need an Mbox for another $300-$400.

Depends if it of value to you.

So there you have it ..Do I go the extra bucks and get the Mbox on
ebay or do I forget the whole thing, sell off the Pro Tools software
and go another route. Maybe get Vegas as an Audio editor I hear it
really kicks butt as an editor even if you don't use the NLE aspect of
it..

Vegas is not an editor. SoundForge is the Sony editor, which intrt=egrates
with their other apps. You cannot avoid using the non-linear aspects (why
would you want to ?!!).

I can get an educational package of Vegas 4.0 , Acid and Sound
Forge for $299. (do educational editions have something missing?)

No.

Adobe Audition? Lots of good sound samples...Audition was Cool Edit
which I heard was good.

It's fine , it is an editor combined with a multi-track environment. Too
cluttered for me, but many swear by it.

geoff

Geoff Wood

Roy wrote:
That's a tough question. I was using a more expensive package and
it was Magix that solved the problems I was having. On the other
hand, I wouldn't pay much more for it. If they raise the price for
the next version, I hope they polish the German-English translation.

I have a problem with the 'logic' of much of the teutonic-soft. It is
usually extremely powerful, but your mind seems to need to work in a
different manner to mine...

geoff

Geoff Wood

Roy wrote:

I'll edit more than 2 tracks opnce in the computer but right now I
don't have the call for multi track input to the computer. Howevuh I
don't mind buying with future need in mind so I'm eyeballing used Digi
001's as well.

First you need to sort out what is is you actually want to be doing.

geoff