A. & G. Reiswig

Default Power line protection for home studio

Hi, all,
Had a minor scare this weekend. I typically just let my DAW hibernate,
rather than shutting it down between sessions. This last weekend, we had a
power failure. When I powered everything back up, the DAW didn't see the
audio card. I ended up having to not only reinstall the software, but the
card, too. No apparent damage, but it got me thinking...
The DAW is currently on a 12-year-old Tripplite "power conditioner,"
which is probably better than nothing but who knows? Are there some good
units that have more reliable technology that you'd recommend looking at?
Particularly if they also offer UPS?

Thanks!

George Reiswig
Song of the River Music

A. & G. Reiswig

That's the kind of thing I was looking for, and that confirms my suspicions
about the MOV's that are undoubtedly what is in my Tripplite. Thanks, Mike.

George Reiswig
Song of the River Music

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article

writes:

This last weekend, we had a
power failure. When I powered everything back up, the DAW didn't see

the
audio card. I ended up having to not only reinstall the software, but

the
card, too. No apparent damage, but it got me thinking...
The DAW is currently on a 12-year-old Tripplite "power conditioner,"

If it's also a transient suppressor, chances are it isn't any longer.
The MOVs that these things employ get destroyed when they do their
job, and in 12 years (assuming it's been connected to power most of
twelve years) you've likely had enough surges so that it's no longer
protecting what's plugged into it. Chances are it's doing some
filtering of EMI on the power line, and that's still a good thing.

What you need is a UPS to keep power on your computer long enough for
you to shut it down properly in the event of a long term power
failure, or keep it operating over a short glitch. Go to a computer
store and buy an APC or Belkin with 500 VA or so capacity. That'll
take care of you.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )