Al

Default Swee****er--how do they do it?

Can somebody please explain to me how Swee****er stays in business?

This is a sincere question. I don't see how they can routinely charge higher
prices than the local stores in most communities, plus shipping, and still
get anyone's business.

What prompts this question is a Swee****er popup that appeared when I went
to Harmony-Central today: PRICE DROPS on the JBL LSR28P monitor! FREE
SHIPPING!

I went to Swee****er's site to check it out. I bought a pair of these
monitors almost two years ago and I wanted to see how the market price was
holding up.

I don't know what Swee****er was selling this model for last week but this
week's offer has B-stock units for $700.00 apiece.

That adds up to exactly what I paid when I bought my brand-new,
factory-sealed units locally two years ago. And I've seen them on sale for
even less occasionally.

So... what's Swee****er's secret? I want a piece of that...

Alan

alabaster

I haven't done a lot of business with them, but I think they are known for
their knowledgable sales reps, and very good, personal service. To a lot of
people, it's worth an extra few bucks that the person selling you gear
actually knows your name and what you hope to *do* with the gear.

I don't deal with them enough to know this for certain, but this is the
impression I've gotten. Personally, I'm a poor grad student scraping by on
gear from Ebay and mass-market vendors, but when I have a little more
financial flexibility, I'll probably feel more comfortable working with a
more one-on-one type of vendor like Swee****er.

chris.

"Al" wrote in message
[...]

Thomas Bishop

"alabaster" wrote in message
I haven't done a lot of business with them, but I think they are known for
their knowledgable sales reps, and very good, personal service. To a lot

of
people, it's worth an extra few bucks that the person selling you gear
actually knows your name and what you hope to *do* with the gear.

A perfect opportunity for a story.....

I bought a couple of Earthworks sr69's on eBay several weeks ago. They look
the same as all of the other EW mics until you screw on the windscreen.
This isn't any ordinary windscreen -- notice I said "screw on." The ones I
bought didn't come with them so I began my search for them. I found a
couple of online stores as well as Swee****er could order them for me. They
all said they would call back. Only Swee****er did, leaving a message on my
machine that said they could get them for $100 (a piece!). I called another
online vendor and they could get them for me for $65 each. So I didn't call
the Swee****er rep back and ordered from this vendor.

A couple of weeks later I get another message from the Swee****er rep who
was checking up on me to make sure I got the message and they could get me
the windscreens. That's two weeks and they are still thinking about me.
That makes me feel warm and fuzzy. If I couldn't save so much money by
going elsewhere then I would have purchased from Swee****er. It all comes
down to price for me, but next time I need gear I will definitely keep
Swee****er in mind. And even if the price is a little higher then they will
still be considered.

Bob Cain

alabaster wrote:

I haven't done a lot of business with them, but I think they are known for
their knowledgable sales reps, and very good, personal service. To a lot of
people, it's worth an extra few bucks that the person selling you gear
actually knows your name and what you hope to *do* with the gear.

I agree. I ordered a software product from them a couple of
months ago that the manufacturer seems to have had
signifigant delay in delivering (Tascam's GigaPulse) and
they've called me twice to keep be abreast of the situation.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Al

I do know that Swee****er touts their support as the big difference between
them and others. That might be useful to some buyers.

But you said "...even if the price is a little higher then they will still
be considered..."

In the transaction you described, Swee****er's price was 54% higher! That's
more than "a little."

It seems to me the relationship between Swee****er and its customers usually
begins with the false premise that Swee****er's prices are something
special. They certainly talk that up. But what I've found is prices that are
usually higher than everyday Musician's Friend prices or those of my local
dealers.

Alan

"Thomas Bishop" wrote in message
"alabaster" wrote in message
[...]

Raymond

I was a client of Swee****er for about 5 years, note I said "was." My sales
engineer was quite up to date with gear and use of, and gave me some good deals
when my first purchases where for many pieces of pricey gear. When I had a
problem I could count on my tech guy to walk me thru it. But I always had to
wait at lest a day before he would get back to me (I can understand this).
They gave me a good line of credit to spend more money with them and when I
paid it off they raised the amount I could charge. I needed the equipment so I
got what I needed and paid off as quickly as I could. Then about 8 months ago I
called my sales guy and wanted to order a new CDR that they had on sale, he
asked "why, what's wrong with the Tascam unit you have?" I told him I wanted
the new one to get some more gain as my recordings from DP3 where coming out
with to low a volume. And I also wanted to use it with a remote recording
system I was putting together.
He then said "well if your having low output from DP3 why don't you look into
this Waves Masters Bundle." I'm really not to hot on the sonic quality of Waves
stuff, but he said that it would (for almost $700.00) solve my problem. So I
said OK I'll give it a try, at that time most all of my gear was and still is
in storage as I save more cash for a location to start building my rooms. So, 3
months later I have an opportunity to pull out the gear and test some of the
new goodies I'd acquired. I go to install the Waves Masters and it won't run, I
call Waves and with the help of a tech it is determined that it will not run on
my system at all. I could have spent more money and upgraded my Peak LE
software but...I would have to up grade the whole operating system as well,
even then (because of my older slower chip) I would not be able to properly run
all of the processes from the bundle.
By this time I was getting a bit ticked as I was losing the little amount of
time I had to do some recording before stashing everything back for a few
months. I call him back to tell him about what was going on with the Waves
software and I want to send it back, he then tell's me I can only get back part
of the $600.00 and something I paid for it. I remind him that he had sold me
the computer and all of it's software and should have known it wouldn't even
run the Waves Masters software. After a bit more discussion I agree to take
what I can get back and asked him about a Fostex stand alone DAW (by this time
the CDR recorder was long gone), he checks and reports back that they no longer
carry or make that model any more.
Then I make a bad judgment decision, I ask him what do you have that can do
what that Fostex could? He then recommended a Zoom MRS802, I ask, is a good
unit? He again gives it a good recommendation. I receive the Zoom recorder and
give it a few test runs, well, the only thing I can say is (sorry Zoom) it's
one of the worst pieces of gear I'd yet run into. Thin mic pre's that sound
really bad, I'm sure it was compressed audio to (something I didn't want), the
interface is very complicated and you have to keep pressing the buttons some
times to get anything to work.
I was always happy with the service I got from Swee****er and the tech guy I
always talked to was very good at getting me back where I needed to be, but 3
times in a row I was let down by my sale's guy so I have said goodby to
Swee****er and would not recommend them to anyone for that reason. I was very
professional about the whole thing and didn't lose my cool through out the
whole ordeal (even if I was quite upset about it) but it has left a bad taste
in my mouth and I have sense found other sources for gear.
JZWest

"Thomas Bishop" wrote in message m...
"alabaster" wrote in message
[...]

I have had experiences with them and found them to be quite
UN-knowledgeable which resulted in me having to send a bunch of stuff
back to them. I did try to work with them over a period of time but
things never worked out because the "sales engineer" wasn't really an
engineer. The bad expereinces were so time consuming that I tried to
contact the Chuck but was never allowed to talk with him. I have asked
them to stop sending me stuff and calling me but they still keep it up
and that does NOT make me warm and fuzzy.
Buster Mudd

I haven't bought anything from Swee****er in at least 3 or 4 years,
but when I did buy stuff from them, it was always *way* cheaper than
not only any local music gear supplier, but than most of the mail
order E-tailers too!
Marc Wielage

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 8:03:39 -0800, Al wrote
(in message vfBbc.173965$po.982553@attbi_s52):

I don't see how they can routinely charge higher
prices than the local stores in most communities, plus shipping, and still
get anyone's business.
--------------------------------snip----------------------------------

I've bought stuff from them a couple of times. When I did, I shopped around,
compared prices, and told Swee****er, "hey, I can get it for X dollars
cheaper from this company, but they're telling me I have to wait two weeks to
get it shipped. If you can match the price, I'll buy it from you."

In every case, they came up with a compromise I could live with, and cut
their price and got my business.

So I think they're more flexible than you might think on this stuff.

--MFW

Glenn Dowdy

Only Swee****er did, leaving a message on my
machine that said they could get them for $100 (a piece!). I called

another
online vendor and they could get them for me for $65 each. So I didn't

call
the Swee****er rep back and ordered from this vendor.

A couple of weeks later I get another message from the Swee****er rep who
was checking up on me to make sure I got the message and they could get me
the windscreens. That's two weeks and they are still thinking about me.
That makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

If I was Swee****er and I had a potential sale with that much extra margin
you can bet I'd be giving you a call back. Did they offer to match the
price? If so, did you ask why hell they were so expensive in the first
place?

Glenn D.

Analogeezer

[...]

I only dealt with them once, I was thinking of buying a new console
(and wanted analog...in the end I wound up buying used). I spent an
hour talking to this guy about "my needs" only to find out all they
could offer me for under $10k was a Mackie 8 bus or a Soundcraft
Ghost.

I sort of felt like the guy could have gotten to that point a lot
quicker without the "what's your life's secrets" talk.

So I was less than imprsssed, so this is just my theory, but...

I think they make a lot of their money on corporate accounts, tour
packages, that sort of thing.

You know Christina Ag's MD calls up and wants to buy 10 Korg Tritons,
so he gets right through to the guy that knows his **** and gets the
units for a great price and shipped to him by the next day in Omaha.

These types of clients probably get first rate service and good
prices, and then Skankwater insinuates that you'll get that level of
service as well.

There are also corporate accounts that are not that price senstive,
but they want to deal with a real corporate entity, one that invoices
on net 30, that sort of thing. Sure they could buy those 50 power amps
for their theme park from Musician's Friend for $50 less a piece but
they just don't want to hassle with an MI type of dealer.

I think reality is you can find better service and pricing elsewhere
but they are servicing many types of clients that don't/can't scour
the internet for pricing on large lots of items, plus it's better to
deal with one entity.

Frankly for that kind of dealer, I think you'd get better pricing and
service from something like Full Compass, without the cloying, clut
like sales droids calling you every week.

Analogeezer
Al

My original question about Swee****er, having to do with how they get away
with charging the prices they do, became an informal referendum about their
service. My unscientific tally of the result (i.e., my gut feeling about
what people were saying) found most respondents defending Swee****er to some
extent. And people seem to feel that Swee****er's business is done in an
honest manner.

But you know, none of that addresses my original concern: they tout low
prices when in fact their prices are higher than most places I have access
to.

Alan

Kurt Riemann wrote in message
news
On 03 Apr 2004 22:09:30 GMT, (Raymond) wrote:

I was a client of Swee****er for about 5 years, note I said "was." My

sales
engineer was quite up to date with gear and use of,

I've been a client for waaaaay longer than I want to think about. I
originally ordered right from Chuck Surack , then from Mitch Gallagher
(he's editing Keyboard now.).

Last time I callef I got the "assistant" of the guy who usually takes
my orders and he spent a good three minutes trying to up-sell me a
computer for the software I was ordering. THAT'S a practice I want to
leave far behind.

When he couldn't answer my ProTools question he said "That's funny. I
can run a million dollar Harrison board but I don't know if you need
an ILok for that plugin."

A "million dollar Harrison board"? I guess I just get irritated at
name/city/gear droppers when I really couldn't give half a **** WHAT
they think. Just sell me the thing I want. That job is the music
industry equivalent of burger flipping.

I'll call again next year and I'm sure he'll be gone, doubtless
working at some elite studio that buys his brand of bull****.

Swee****er has it's up and downs, but the ordering is reliable. Aside
from this nut, you usually get the truth.

Kurt

Leoaw3

But you know, none of that addresses my original concern: they tout low
prices when in fact their prices are higher than most places I have access
to.

But.... because music equipment manufacturers put very high "suggested retail"
prices on them - Swee****er can still talk about selling way below suggested
retail. The scary thing is that there are local stores in my area that sell
for the suggested retail price unless you haggle with them!

Swee****er is higher than some, lower than some. They try to make it up with
service.

-lee-
Kurt Albershardt

Leoaw3 wrote:

Swee****er is higher than some, lower than some. They try to make it up
with service.

Someone accustomed to the professional caliber personal service on which this (pro audio) industry was built might find that statement a bit funny...

Iowa Recorder

"Al" wrote in message news:vfBbc.173965$po.982553@attbi_s52...

So... what's Swee****er's secret? I want a piece of that...

The price of the gear I bought from swee****er matched the cheapest
price I could find anywhere. I could have bought my gear elsewhere
for the same price but two (not one) but two differant studio bosses
told me to deal through swee****er. Also the swee****er guy on the
phone was indeed knowlagable.

So price, reputation, support.

IR
Steve

In article ,
(Iowa Recorder) wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

So... what's Swee****er's secret? I want a piece of that...

The price of the gear I bought from swee****er matched the cheapest
price I could find anywhere. I could have bought my gear elsewhere
for the same price but two (not one) but two differant studio bosses
told me to deal through swee****er. Also the swee****er guy on the
phone was indeed knowlagable.

So price, reputation, support.

IR

A number of years ago I bought a Kurzweil K2000VP Rack from Swee****er,
as their reputation as Kurzweil people seems to be unmatched. The unit
worked fine, but 8 months later I put a floppy disk in the drive and the
disk drive didn't work. It may not have worked from the day I got it,
since I always transfered sounds via the SCSI port and a hard drive, but
this particular time, I discovered the floppy didn't work. It was 2am
when I sent an email to Swee****er about my problem. Someone called me
back at 10am the next morning (8 hours later), and offered me the option
of sending the K2000R back and they would put in a new floppy drive, or
if I felt inclined to do it myself, they would overnight me a new floppy
drive. I decided to install it myself, they overnighted me a new floppy
drive, paid for the return shipping of the broken floppy drive, and no
expense to me.

From the time I discovered the problem, it was totally repaired within
36 hours.

Swee****er's secret is not a secret at all. Take care of the customer
when they have a problem and make sure they are back to work immediately.
I might have saved a some money getting my Kurzweil from Musicians
Friend, or 8th Street Music (one of my personal favorites), or a dozen
other lower priced places, but they wouldn't want to hear from me 8
months later about a problem with a floppy drive.

Now I'll admit I don't purchase everything from them, and not everything
needs technical support (patchbay, cables, AC line conditioner, keyboard
case, mixer case - I didn't buy any of these from Swee****er), but I
like what they offer. My experience is that most stores match or beat
someone else's price, even if their advertised price is higher, and that
goes for Swee****er as well.

If Swee****er sells a cable for $10 and someone else sells it for $8,
buy it somewhere else and stop crying. If you want to complain about a
$50 difference on a more expensive piece and you absolutely know you'll
never need the kind of service that they provided to me with my
Kurzweil, then buy it somewhere else. The thing about it is, I'm in
this business, I deduct all my music purchases as a business expense,
and in the big scheme of things, the $50 higher cost because of tax
write-off doesn't really amount to $50 more. It only amount to $50 more
today out of my pocket, but after deductions, maybe it's $20 more.
Don't email me about that statement. If you don't understand it, talk
with an accountant.

Your situation may vary, but the bottom line for certain items is about
technical support and customer service. Swee****er has that.

Kurt Riemann

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 03:24:44 GMT, "Al" wrote:

My original question about Swee****er, having to do with how they get away
with charging the prices they do, became an informal referendum about their
service. My unscientific tally of the result (i.e., my gut feeling about
what people were saying) found most respondents defending Swee****er to some
extent. And people seem to feel that Swee****er's business is done in an
honest manner.

But you know, none of that addresses my original concern: they tout low
prices when in fact their prices are higher than most places I have access
to.

Read between the lines. We don't care exclusively about getting the
lowest prices. THAT'S why they stay in business. We've all been burned
by other companies that fail in some other basic sense and make
problems on our end. And except for my recent experience, Swee****er
has been 95% effective as a seamless supplier of high-end pro audio
equipment for my studio. I mostly get high-ticket items that will last
for 20 years, so support in the long run is an issue. On "consumer"
**** you can shop around, it won't really matter when it comes to
reliability on the item which is designed to be replaced anyway.

I used to have a sign on my wall that said -

---------------------
1. Good
2. Fast
3. Cheap

Choose any two.
------------------------------

With audio dealers you need to change #2 to "honest".

You can't get all three from a dealer. They won't stay in business
with the available margins.

The other dealer I trust is Mercenary, by the way.

Kurt Riemann
Shawn

I have gotten stuff inexpensively from them many times. You need to
know what **** costs. Then you need to know what they need to make.
Then you need to get a decent rep to work with you. Then you need to
be ready to buy. most the cats there know their **** and they are
pretty helpful. They will play "lets make a deal" if you ask nicely.

[...]

Al

OK, I yield. The ayes have it, in favor of Swee****er.

Apparently Swee****er does a good job of following up on reliability
problems and technical issues.

Most of the respondents to my original question seem to forgive Swee****er's
higher prices, citing these services that most big-boxes can't offer.

Only one response asserted that Swee****er has been competitive on price in
his experience. Full credit to him for driving a hard bargain.

So I think my original premise--Swee****er advertises low, sells high--is
vindicated but my "How do they do it" question is answered. They do it by
providing services and follow up that people seem to need... or at least
want.

[...]

hank alrich

Steve wrote:

Your situation may vary, but the bottom line for certain items is about
technical support and customer service. Swee****er has that.

For some folks, yes. In my case I bought something I needed quickly,
ordered it at night over the phone, got it shipped quickly, all fine,
all good.

Then a few months later I was looking for something much more costly and
gave SW a call; I was told my sales engineer wasn't available, and that
no one else could talk to me. Beg pardon? They almost lost me for good
right there. I was out to get something bought and get back to work, not
fart around with a sales "engineer".

I eventually called again about something else, and when I told my sales
engineer I'd seen the item in their catalog, he informed me that the
glossy and fat toms they'd sent me repeatedly were not catalogs...

And I have not called them again, and will not. I got them to stop
sending whatever it is they think they send. Mercenary, Klay Anderson,
Studio Tech Supply, EAR and Full Compass get my out of town money.

--
ha
hank alrich

Shawn wrote:

I have gotten stuff inexpensively from them many times. You need to
know what **** costs. Then you need to know what they need to make.
Then you need to get a decent rep to work with you. Then you need to
be ready to buy. most the cats there know their **** and they are
pretty helpful. They will play "lets make a deal" if you ask nicely.

Big waste of my time; I'll buy where the process isn't like a flea
market and I can still get a decent price. I don't need them to know
"there ****". I almost always know what I'm after once I'm calling a
dealer. If not, then let me talk to Fletcher, Al Priest, Klay Anderson
or Jerry Delgado. They're not going to try to upsell me to something
that better fits their commission, they're going to watch my back, sides
and front.

--
ha
Scott Dorsey

hank alrich wrote:

Then a few months later I was looking for something much more costly and
gave SW a call; I was told my sales engineer wasn't available, and that
no one else could talk to me. Beg pardon? They almost lost me for good
right there. I was out to get something bought and get back to work, not
fart around with a sales "engineer".

My real complaint with Swee****er is basically they assign you a salesguy
and you can't seem to change him. Some folks get assigned good sales folks.
Some get assigned idiots. If you get assigned an idiot you don't seem to have
any recourse; you have to deal with him.

This may have changed by now. I have to admit that it's been a long while
since I have dealt with them.

And I have not called them again, and will not. I got them to stop
sending whatever it is they think they send. Mercenary, Klay Anderson,
Studio Tech Supply, EAR and Full Compass get my out of town money.

The thing is that Swee****er tries to be a cheap box house, and they also
try to be a full service dealer at the same time. I don't think the
combination works although I have to give them a lot of credit for trying.

Shawn

If you don't know what you want then you can expect someone to make
suggestions. Personally, I have bought a few things from Andy
Diekroger (sp?) over at Swee****er and he has been very helpful. . .
He knows a lot about gear and he will give you the best price that is
humanly possible. I bought a compressor from him recently and he
worked with me on the price. So I got a killer deal AND great
service. Nice. . . NO, I don't work for Swee****er, I have no
connection to them other than a telephone. I make a living writing
music. But you don't need to knock them because they are big and
successful. . . It's admirable for others on this group to shill for
their friends also on this group. But, because I have no friends I
have no intentions other than open and honest discourse.

Chris

Chris