mark

Default How do you go about reconing a speaker?

I want to recone an 18" jbl 2240. Are there kits I can buy. Can I do it
myself? Do I need to buy specialized equipment? If so is it expensive? Can I
recone it as a jbl 2242 or better speaker model? In others can I upgrade a
speaker by reconing?

Thanks
Mark

Martin

Mark,

I purchased a refoam kit from these guys.
http://www.newfoam.com/products.asp I did the kit myself and it worked
great. They also do reconing but I don't know about recone kits because it's
a bit more involved.

Martin

"mark" wrote in message
.. .
I want to recone an 18" jbl 2240. Are there kits I can buy. Can I do it
myself? Do I need to buy specialized equipment? If so is it expensive? Can

recone it as a jbl 2242 or better speaker model? In others can I upgrade a
speaker by reconing?

Thanks
Mark

Scott Dorsey

mark wrote:
I want to recone an 18" jbl 2240. Are there kits I can buy. Can I do it
myself? Do I need to buy specialized equipment? If so is it expensive? Can I
recone it as a jbl 2242 or better speaker model? In others can I upgrade a
speaker by reconing?

JBL will sell you the kits, and it's no more difficult than doing a valve
adjustment on your car. Lots of shimming and lots of measuring, but it's
not all that bad if you have a micrometer and shim stock on hand.

Odds are that putting a different cone in than the speaker is designed for
will do more harm than good. But if you want to change specific driver
parameters, you might be able to do this as part of the reconing process.