andrewunix

Default Getting smoke smell out of mic?

I just picked up an EV PL20 on eBay, and the thing just reeks of cigarette
smoke. Any recommendations on how to get rid of the smell?

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg
Scott Dorsey

andrewunix wrote:
I just picked up an EV PL20 on eBay, and the thing just reeks of cigarette
smoke. Any recommendations on how to get rid of the smell?

Send it to EV. They'll replace the foam insert and probably won't charge
you for it. If you want to do it yourself, they'll probably send you one
if you ask nicely.
james

In article ,
andrewunix wrote:

I just picked up an EV PL20 on eBay, and the thing just reeks of cigarette smoke.

INCONCEIVABLE! Everything on eBay was used only in a smoke free studio!

Tim Perry

"andrewunix" wrote in message
I just picked up an EV PL20 on eBay, and the thing just reeks of cigarette
smoke. Any recommendations on how to get rid of the smell?

--
agreenbu @ nyx . net andrew michael greenburg

simple green + shop towel on exterior. spray on to the towel not the mic.

the RE-20s internal windscreen is accessed by a tiny alien set screw. i
think the PL-20 uses the same housing.

it would be easiest to just let the odor fade over time or if you are using
it for vocals stretch a fresh eternal windscreen over it

Logan Shaw

Tim Perry wrote:
it would be easiest to just let the odor fade over time or if you are using
it for vocals stretch a fresh eternal windscreen over it

^^^^^^^
Do those come with a lifetime warranty?

- Logan
Arny Krueger

andrewunix wrote:

I just picked up an EV PL20 on eBay, and the thing just reeks of
cigarette smoke. Any recommendations on how to get rid of the smell?

I had this problem with one of the mics (not EV) I recently bought on eBay.
Key was the ability to remove the foam insert. The good news was that the
screen just threaded off, and I could pull the foam insert out quite easily.
I soaked it in dilute Windex with some Fabreze mixed in. After about a day
of soaking and periodic squeezing, rinsing, and more of the same, then about
a day of drying, and the odor was permanently gone. Several months later the
foam insert seems to be as pliable and odor-free as ever, so it must have
been the right thing to do!

jnorman

dip it in a big glass of beer... (hic)
Tim Perry

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
Tim Perry wrote:
it would be easiest to just let the odor fade over time or if you are

using
it for vocals stretch a fresh eternal windscreen over it

^^^^^^^
Do those come with a lifetime warranty?

- Logan

the RE-20s have free repair... however cosmetic restoration involves a
charge. in my case it was about $100 per mic. i sent in several last year
that had been in broadcast use for maybe 30 years. these had bent grills.
loose capsules, some had no paint left on them. they were returned in mint
condition with test data on each mic. i couldn't ask for better results.

a few years ago i sent in a dead RE-20 that had no cosmetic defects. it was
fixed promptly and at no charge.

as far as i know this only applies to broadcast series mics.

david

In article , Tim Perry
wrote:

the RE-20s have free repair... however cosmetic restoration involves a
charge. in my case it was about $100 per mic. i sent in several last year
that had been in broadcast use for maybe 30 years. these had bent grills.
loose capsules, some had no paint left on them. they were returned in mint
condition with test data on each mic. i couldn't ask for better results.

a few years ago i sent in a dead RE-20 that had no cosmetic defects. it was
fixed promptly and at no charge.

as far as i know this only applies to broadcast series mics.

Free lifetime repair? Is this true? I just had one of ours croak.

Sounds too good to be true.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
David Satz

james wrote:

INCONCEIVABLE! Everything on eBay was used only in a smoke free studio!

Yes, but in many cases this simply means that people were free to smoke,
and/or that there was no charge for smoking in the studio.

--Seriously, with condenser microphones that have had smoky odor I have
often been able to reduce the problem greatly by disassembling the mikes,
washing their grilles in hot soapy water, carefully cleaning all other
exposed surfaces OTHER THAN THE CAPSULE with Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol,
and then--the thing which made the most difference of all--simply leaving
the microphone out in a smoke-free room for a week or so.

But the odor never went away completely--there was always a faint residue
which, to me, smelled oddly like ground pepper.
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...
andrewunix wrote:
I just picked up an EV PL20 on eBay, and the thing just reeks of cigarette
smoke. Any recommendations on how to get rid of the smell?

Send it to EV. They'll replace the foam insert and probably won't charge
you for it. If you want to do it yourself, they'll probably send you one
if you ask nicely.

I wanted a 15 year old RE-20 spec'd, so I sent it in requesting all new
foam & shock materials. The cost was $26 plus shipping there & back.
They offered a total refurb for $100 including a new body, but I wanted
the almost vintage, comfortable looking housing. There & back in 10
days; good contact & fast service... I'd guess they might go 'free' for a
newer mic... they were helpful.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Dale Farmer

David Satz wrote:

james wrote:

INCONCEIVABLE! Everything on eBay was used only in a smoke free studio!

Yes, but in many cases this simply means that people were free to smoke,
and/or that there was no charge for smoking in the studio.

--Seriously, with condenser microphones that have had smoky odor I have
often been able to reduce the problem greatly by disassembling the mikes,
washing their grilles in hot soapy water, carefully cleaning all other
exposed surfaces OTHER THAN THE CAPSULE with Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol,
and then--the thing which made the most difference of all--simply leaving
the microphone out in a smoke-free room for a week or so.

But the odor never went away completely--there was always a faint residue
which, to me, smelled oddly like ground pepper.

that's pretty much the way to go. Clean thoroughly with solvent. May
try
mixing some acetone in with the alcohol that you clean it with, it will cut
the
oils and tars a bit better.
Leave it in a warm , dry and well ventilated area for a few weeks, the
fumes
will come out there and be dissipated.

--Dale

Kurt Albershardt

Dale Farmer wrote:

David Satz wrote:

--Seriously, with condenser microphones that have had smoky odor I have
often been able to reduce the problem greatly by disassembling the mikes,
washing their grilles in hot soapy water, carefully cleaning all other
exposed surfaces OTHER THAN THE CAPSULE with Q-Tips and rubbing alcohol,
and then--the thing which made the most difference of all--simply leaving
the microphone out in a smoke-free room for a week or so.

that's pretty much the way to go. Clean thoroughly with solvent. May
try mixing some acetone in with the alcohol that you clean it with, it will
cut the oils and tars a bit better.

Acetone will soften many types of plastic and remove most paint finishes from metal. Be careful...

david

In article , david
wrote:

a few years ago i sent in a dead RE-20 that had no cosmetic defects. it was
fixed promptly and at no charge.

as far as i know this only applies to broadcast series mics.

Free lifetime repair? Is this true? I just had one of ours croak.

Sounds too good to be true.

It is. Called EV - located on Cornhuskers Highway in Nebraska - and
they said the repair cost would be a minimum of $50, and if the repair
was gonna be more than $125 they would contact you first before doing
the work on your re20.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island