Mikey G.

Default IF-FW/DM Card for Tascam DM-24

Is there anyone else waiting for the IF-FW/DM Card to finally become
available from Tascam? I have a brand new DM-24 sitting in my studio
eagerly awaiting the new card. Tascam's site has had it shown for
months, and still nothing. I have it pre-ordered but the latest word
is any day now.

What is the deal with this thing? Are there manufacturing problems
with it? When I pre-ordered it I was under the impression it would be
released in February, but the date keeps getting pushed back further.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Mike

Benjamin Maas

"WillStG" wrote in message ...

Well - I have heard from salesguys that the Tascam Firewire FW-1884
audio/midi/interface/control surface doesn't work well, at least a lot of

them
are are getting returned. Since that's pretty a similar application to

what
they are trying to do with the DM-24's firewire card, probably buggy

drivers,
OS compatibility problems, or maybe that OS 10.3 firewire problem is

burning
them too... In any event, it ain't ready yet.

I'll tell you from experience that the FW-1884 is a total piece of **** and
because of that I'll never use another Tascam firewire product again. It
has to be one of the worst designed pieces of gear I've ever used.

From the analog front end being blown out by pluging a microphone in while
phantom is on (and the switch is a pain to get to), to the firewire not
working as spec'd. Heck you can't even do 12 feet without a repeater. The
firewire communication light is on, but the interface doesn't work... Don't
get me started on all the problems with this thing.

It is a shame because I have a DM 24 that I've generally been happy with...
I was hoping that I'd get the firewire card and be able to drop 24 tracks
into my remote DAW out in the field. With all the problems I've had with
the FW-1884, I will NOT even think about getting the card for the DM-24.
Too bad, it is a great idea.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

Lars Farm

WillStG wrote:

OS compatibility problems, or maybe that OS 10.3 firewire problem is burning
them too...

this is on a tangent, but to clear up a missconception that has been
ventilated in this group. the firewire disc problem in osx 10.3 is
actually a problem in some firewire discs internal firmware. it is not a
problem with osx firewire. it is not a problem that has anything at all
to do with anything but harddiscs. specifically discs using a certain
chipset with a certain version of chipset firmware... It affects every
OS but a change in osx 10.3 firewire code triggered this disc internal
bug more often. everyone with an affected disc should upgrade the
firmware of their disc, not just those running osx 10.3. not just those
running osx. not just those running macos... Note how this problem is
beeing solved. by oxford firewire chipmaker issuing new firmware for
that particular chipset... and very promptly too.

lars

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
S O'Neill

WillStG wrote:

So Apple is totally blameless in this, and their OS is totally compliant
with the firewire spec? Really?

I would hope so, since they invented it.

Benjamin Maas

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

In article G68bc.54626$gA5.714152@attbi_s03

writes:

the FW-1884

From the analog front end being blown out by pluging a microphone in

while
phantom is on

I wonder if it was designed by the same person who designed the
US-122. Is it also a Frontier Design collaboration? I blew the front
end doing that on the US-122 that I reviewed, too. Did you by any
chance check the impedance of the "high impedance" instrument inputs?
That was about the same as the line input (not high at all) on the
US-122.

I didn't check the high impedance inputs... We blew out 3 or 4 of the front
ends on these suckers before we figured out where all the problems were.
Some were blown out through patching in a patch bay. Others from a direct
patch into the controller. The FW-1884 is indeed a Frontier collaboration.

I was hoping that I'd get the firewire card and be able to drop 24

tracks
into my remote DAW out in the field. With all the problems I've had

with
the FW-1884, I will NOT even think about getting the card for the DM-24.

I suspect that they're differnt designers. The design of the Firewire
card for the DM24 comes from ex-Mackoid Bob Tudor's company, Sanewave.
The FW-1884 was designed elsewhere. He also designed the upcoming
Mackie dxb console and, I'm guessing, the optional Firewire interface
for the new Onyx consoles.

For Tascam's sake, I would hope to hell that it would work better. With the
other design team, there is still a chance, I suppose. It- at the very
least- needs to be able to communicate with enough reliability that you
don't end up with massive dropouts in the signal path.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.fifthcircle.com

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

Lars Farm

WillStG wrote:

So Apple is totally blameless in this, and their OS is totally
compliant with the firewire spec? Really?

With 10.3 Apple did introduce code that exposed the firmware bug in the
Oxford Semiconductor 922 firewire 800 Mbps chip (oxford version 1.03),
used in Firewire 800 hard discs. These were the firewire devices that
were affected. They did not construct the chip that contained the bug.
They could have provided the fixed firmware with the 10.3 update,
because the fix was available from Oxford Semiconductor at that time,
but didn't. In that sense they are not blameless.

Whether their code is totally compliant to the firewire spec or not is a
question that is impossible to answer. It's a classic question in
software develpment theory. There is no way to verify correctness by
tests. In software development tests can only display bugs... If you
can't find any bugs then thats all you can say. You can't find any bugs.
That doesn't mean there are no bugs...

The point is that this bug sits in firewire 800 disc drives that are
connected to linuxboxes, to windowsboxes, to osxboxes and to os9boxes
and other systems and as such are disasters waiting to happen. There is
a fix. This fix came from Oxford Semiconductor but it is not apple
specific. It is for any system.

lars

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se

Jari Pietila

"Mikey G." wrote in message
Is there anyone else waiting for the IF-FW/DM Card to finally become
available from Tascam? I have a brand new DM-24 sitting in my studio
eagerly awaiting the new card. Tascam's site has had it shown for
months, and still nothing. I have it pre-ordered but the latest word
is any day now.

What is the deal with this thing? Are there manufacturing problems
with it? When I pre-ordered it I was under the impression it would be
released in February, but the date keeps getting pushed back further.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Not much to contribute into discussion except that I am in the very same
situation. The latest word I've heard was before the end of April.
If the firewire interface does not happen I think I must start
looking for soundcards with TDIF interface. Perhaps that would be
more reliable solution anyway ...

BTW they sell dm24 dirt cheap nowadays. I hope it does not mean
it will be discontinued anytime soon ..

regards,

-jp

Mike

John

BTW they sell dm24 dirt cheap nowadays. I hope it does not mean
it will be discontinued anytime soon ..

regards,

-jp

I sincerely hope it will be discontinued asap. I owed 2 of these machines that
both malfunctioned. I thought the converters were decent for the price, but
they must have cut corners on every conceivable component. I was amazed,
truly, at the poor quality of this mixer. Heavy enough to be a decent boat
anchor though. The faders feel cheaper than you can imagine... Like bits of
plastic one snapped off the sprue when building model airplanes as a child.
Inexcusable.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com
Jari Pietila

John wrote:

: I sincerely hope it will be discontinued asap. I owed 2 of these machines that
: both malfunctioned. I thought the converters were decent for the price, but
: they must have cut corners on every conceivable component. I was amazed,

OK, faders may feel cheap, but what exactly do you mean by malfunction
here? Did they break after a while or didn't they work at the first place?

-jp
John

OK, faders may feel cheap, but what exactly do you mean by malfunction
here? Did they break after a while or didn't they work at the first place?

-jp

One broke after a day. The digital direct outs on my adat expansion card
ceased to function. Got a replacement card. No good. The circuitry on the
board was messed up. Replacement came and was broken out of the box. Faders
would not move when changing layers. That was enough for me. A month later,
and many headaches later, I pitched in the towel on my DM24 experience.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com
Jari Pietila

"John" wrote in message

One broke after a day. The digital direct outs on my adat expansion card
ceased to function. Got a replacement card. No good. The circuitry on

the
board was messed up. Replacement came and was broken out of the box.

Faders
would not move when changing layers. That was enough for me. A month

later,
and many headaches later, I pitched in the towel on my DM24 experience.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com

Sounds like horror.. any probs with the 01v96?

-jp

John

From: "Jari Pietila"

Sounds like horror.. any probs with the 01v96?

-jp

Horror is a pretty accurate description of the situation, especially since I
was running a business off of the thing. The O1v96 has been as rock solid as
the O1v was.
-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com
John

I have the dm24 and the adat expansion card for it and havent had any
problems with it ever. luck of the draw I guess.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Fair enough. I wasn't going to give up after the first one. I had good luck
with Tascam in the past, and figured anyone could make one bad unit. Two units
was more than I could handle though. I have work to get done, and my faith in
the DM24 was shot after the second one.

-John Vice
www.summertimestudios.com