wags01970

Default aw2816 vs. aw4416

Hi all, just looking for a little advice. I'm thinking about jumping
back into home recording after about 15 years. Use to have a Fostex
x-15 which was pretty cool back then. I've decided on the yamaha line
of machines because they seem to have the features and quality I'm
looking for. My question is what are the real differences between the
aw2816 and the aw4416? Is it sound quality and effects. or the number
of inputs and outputs. Are the preamps better on the 4416? Mainly I
will be recording myself with a keyboard workstation,guitar, vocals,
and maybe the occasional guest player. I have no desire to record a
full band or acoustic drum sets. Will the 2816 serve me well or would
I be missing the capabilities of the 4416? I know most of thew folks
in here prefer a computer based setup,but I just don't have the
patience or the know-how to set up a computer for audio. And I don't
have a computer to dedicate to recording only. Thanks for any advice

Mike
Hannibul Artese

In article ,
(wags01970) wrote:

Hi all, just looking for a little advice. I'm thinking about jumping
back into home recording after about 15 years. Use to have a Fostex
x-15 which was pretty cool back then. I've decided on the yamaha line
of machines because they seem to have the features and quality I'm
looking for. My question is what are the real differences between the
aw2816 and the aw4416? Is it sound quality and effects. or the number
of inputs and outputs. Are the preamps better on the 4416? Mainly I
will be recording myself with a keyboard workstation,guitar, vocals,
and maybe the occasional guest player. I have no desire to record a
full band or acoustic drum sets. Will the 2816 serve me well or would
I be missing the capabilities of the 4416?

Yamaha has a faq that compares the two recorders:
http://www.aw2816.com/e/faq/about_08.html

FWIW, I have had a 2816 for a little over a year, and have been quite
happy with it. I use to record my own stuff, and to record my friends.
The mic pre is okay, nothing to write home about. You can always go
outboard. The onboard effects and dynamics are competent, and the
automation is well implemented.

It's a great piece of hardware, and should work quite well for the type
of work you intend to do.

The 4416's feature set wasn't needed for what I do. I don't believe the
two units are at all in different in terms of audio quality.