squirlin

Default New gear recommendation? / Tascam US-428 sound quality

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on what I should upgrade or add in my
recording set up.

System:
Pentium IV 2.2 GHz 1 GB RAM with Firewire/USB/USB2 input, running
Nuendo 1.6

I have a US-428 as my current audio interface...

Will replacing this interface (with something like the motu 828 or
another interface under $1000) really get me much more in the way of
sound quality? I know it will get me more inputs, but it'm not as
concerned with more inputs, concerned with waht in my chain should be
upgraded or added.

I have had good success with th US-428, and it does have 24 bit A/D, and
I don't intend to record at sample rates above 48khz this point. It
works on my system really well at this point. I go from my Mackie 1202
VLZ mixer inserts into the balanced 1/4 inch ins on the US-428, then USB
into the machine. I do this to have the signal go thru the mackie
preamp in the chain, also to phantom power my AT 3035 condenser mic.

I'm trying to get the best sound I can with out breaking the
bank...trying to figure out what upgrade would have the most positive
impact on the quality of the audio i'm recording (not the performance,
but the sound)

I don't have any other preamps other than what built into the 428, and
the ones on my Mackie mixer.

I record vocals, guitars, bass, drums, synths, everything and any
thing... but not all at once,... usually 1 stereo or 2 mono tracks at a
time.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

Steve
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I'm looking for some advice on what I should upgrade or add in my
recording set up.

I have a US-428 as my current audio interface...

Will replacing this interface (with something like the motu 828 or
another interface under $1000) really get me much more in the way of
sound quality?

I don't have any other preamps other than what built into the 428, and
the ones on my Mackie mixer.

It sounds like your system is pretty well balanced across the board
right not. If you upgraded just one thing, particularly the US-428
which you're using as your A/D and D/A converter, chances are you
wouldn't notice a big difference. I'd suggest that your next upgrade
might be another microphone (the AT 3035 is OK, but you might want a
different flavor, and maybe a better mic preamp. That might be more of
a significant improvement. Then you might look at a better A/D
converter which you could connect through the S/PDIF input on your
US-428. And whatever you're using for monitors, I'm sure they could be
improved, and a better D/A converter to feed them might be something
to consider for the future.

If the US-428 sounds about the same as the US-122 which I had for
review and played with for a while, I'd say the converters, even
though they're not the greatest, were better than the mic inputs, so
improving what's going into it might be better than upgrading the
converters right now.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )