Christian Serig

Default Otari MX-70 1" 8 Track (Just purchased) Good first reel to reel or not?

Just bought my first real Multi Track and was wondering if this is a
good machine or not to learn if I like analog over digital for
multi-tracking? I have a Otari two track and a Tascam 388 so I know I
like the sound of what analog does. Great machine for recording drums
too or not? Looking to do basics on this and overdub's in computer.

How does this machine compare to other 1" 8 tracks?

Does anyone have a line on audio cards for this machine and a 16 track
headstack since this machine is capable of that?

Also if you have at least one I/O audio card revision 56 that would be
great, since this machine is missing one.

Also comes with CB-117 remote control unit, extender board, and
EC-401M universal resolver so was this a good deal for $810?

Thank you, Christian
EganMedia

Just bought my first real Multi Track and was wondering if this is a
good machine or not to learn if I like analog over digital for
multi-tracking?

Assuming you have a well designed and constructed control room, your wiring is
up to snuff, your monitors are accurate, and your microphone and outboard gear
can reveal the differences between a medium-quality analog deck and a similar
quality digital storage device, it's a fine purchase. But if you've found a
reason to like what a Tascam 388 sounds like, you may well have tastes that
don't intersect with high fidelity.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but analog tape is merely a link in a long complex
chain. And if the analog storage medium is a good one, the differences between
it and a good digital storage medium are miniscule compared to many other links
in the recording chain.

A good signal chain needs to start with good mics, cables, and preamps. Good
dynamics and EQ processing (if used at all) need to be equally good. You need
a good pair of monitors in a well designed room to distinguish between good and
not-so-good sounds, and then, finally, you have to commit those sounds to a
storage device. Whether or not it's analog is a personal choice, and there are
differences between the two. However, I think most folks would have a
difficult time distinguishing a good analog recording from a digital one,
provided the song, performance, and remainder of the signal chain were the
same.

If you're a fan of what dbx NR does to a kick drum, then you've found your
soulmate. Make records and prosper.

BTW, I recently sold a really nice, low milage, last run Sony/MCI JH24 for
$2250. I hope you can either afford to lose whatever it is you spent on the
MX70, or you can earn enough with it to ignore the depreciation. You may well
have to pay someone to haul it away when you've used it up.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Fill X

you make some great records on it. As far as one inch eights go, though, I'd
say it's not one of the better ones.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Christian Serig

Philip, so what are the better 1" 8 tracks? I mean I have been waiting
for that right MM1200 to pop up, but till then I thought this might be
cool. I do have a nice set of montiors and have been using the
Panasonic converters and have decent selection of nice pre's , some
good outboard and a great starter mic kit but what makes this not that
great of a 8 track, does it need new ic's or is there some other mods
I could do to bring it up to snuff? I am always adding equipment?

Thank you, Chris

(Fill X) wrote in message ...
you make some great records on it. As far as one inch eights go, though, I'd
say it's not one of the better ones.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Christian Serig

It's a decent analog recorder, but I don't know if it will blow your
mind. Are you good at maintenance? Do you have a manual, a test tape,
and at least an oscillator and oscilloscope? If it's not in good
alignment, you shouldn't be favorably impressed.

Don't mind learning the maintenance and I know a good Otari tech here
in town, so I will have him set it up and check it out.

Also comes with CB-117 remote control unit, extender board, and
EC-401M universal resolver so was this a good deal for $810?

It's a good deal, but I question why you bought it first and asked
questions afterward.

I used the tech's recommendation as it being a good machine and it was
a last minute ebay thing, didn't see it posted till the last day and
located in town so no shipping costs.