Ken Buseman

Default 60 mm SilenX fan - quiets, but needs new hole

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies to my previous thread about the 2" fan. I did
find a 60 mm fan made by SilenX in California that looks like it is going to
do the job for me. It has a noise level of 16 dBA as compared to the
average 50 mm fan with a 30 dBA noise level. My only problem is going to be
fitting it in the case. I don't think it will fit (it is too thick), so I'm
looking to install it outside the case, still allowing it to draw air out of
the case. I might need to make the fan hole bigger and don't quite know
what to use to cut it larger. Also am afraid of fragments getting into the
case and shorting things out.

Any suggestions on that?

Scott Dorsey

Ken Buseman wrote:

thanks for all the replies to my previous thread about the 2" fan. I did
find a 60 mm fan made by SilenX in California that looks like it is going to
do the job for me. It has a noise level of 16 dBA as compared to the
average 50 mm fan with a 30 dBA noise level. My only problem is going to be
fitting it in the case. I don't think it will fit (it is too thick), so I'm
looking to install it outside the case, still allowing it to draw air out of
the case. I might need to make the fan hole bigger and don't quite know
what to use to cut it larger. Also am afraid of fragments getting into the
case and shorting things out.

Any suggestions on that?

How about a metal nibbling tool? Also available from Digi-Key.

A sheet metal punch will make a nice accurate round hole, though. But it
is awfully expensive if you're only going to use it once.
Ken Buseman

.. The best thing to do
is pull the computer apart so you have just the bare care,

It's not going into a computer, it is replaceing the fan in my new MOTU
HD192 which is exceedingly noisy in a control room that I've spent thousands
of dollars isolating walls, windows, adding acoustic treatment, etc.

I don't know that I can take it all apart, but that is a possibility. Okay,
now I need to find this nibbling tool.

Arny Krueger

Ken Buseman wrote:
. The best thing to do
is pull the computer apart so you have just the bare care,

It's not going into a computer, it is replaceing the fan in my new
MOTU HD192 which is exceedingly noisy in a control room that I've
spent thousands of dollars isolating walls, windows, adding acoustic
treatment, etc.

I don't know that I can take it all apart, but that is a possibility.
Okay, now I need to find this nibbling tool.

http://www.elexp.com/tol_02nt.htm

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/nibblingtool.html

Frank Vuotto

I don't know that I can take it all apart, but that is a possibility.
Okay, now I need to find this nibbling tool.

Radio Shack has them.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/
james

In article znr1080667736k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

I really wouldn't do it any other way.

Two words: Dremel tool.

Garrett Cox

If you're not to bent on the SilenX fans... I'd recommend Papst fans.
12 db. Moves a lot air too. I like use them on acoustical PC/Hardware
boxes. Like them the best. You can get them at like some quiet PC
online stores. Google it.

garrett