BlacklineMusic

Default Replaceing 5532s?

5532s are in a ton of high end consoles, and there are a lot in my AMR 1600
board's center section.. Should I leave them alone or would swapping them with
a newer chip, say from AD, make the console sound better? Anyone do 5532 swaps
and have anything to say about the results?
Steve
Scott Dorsey

BlacklineMusic wrote:
5532s are in a ton of high end consoles, and there are a lot in my AMR 1600
board's center section.. Should I leave them alone or would swapping them with
a newer chip, say from AD, make the console sound better? Anyone do 5532 swaps
and have anything to say about the results?

Depends on the circuit. If it's in an EQ circuit that is slew-limited and
sounds that way, a faster chip may help. If it's in a high gain stage doing
buss-makeup, a quieter chip may help. If you put in a lower-offset chip, you
might be able to eliminate some coupling capacitors in the process. If it
is in a low-gain stage you might wind up degrading things by putting a
faster chip in without cleaning up the decoupling in the process.