Default Canadian source for Marshall MX603s mics?

Does anyone know a Canadian source for Mashall MX603s mics?
I've looked but I can't find any leads, at least not online.
I noticed that Yamaha.ca is the distributor for MXL mics, but Yamaha
website has no dealer info.

By the way, has anyone compared these to the Apex 180 series?
(www.apexelectronics.com). They look *exactly* the same to me.
I know I can get the Apex here, but people have told me those sound
much worse than Rode NT5, so maybe they are using different cicuitry
and/or capsules.

Another question: is the cap removeable like the Apex ones? Apex usually
come with a cardoid and an omni cap.

Thanks,
Richard
Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:
Does anyone know a Canadian source for Mashall MX603s mics?
I've looked but I can't find any leads, at least not online.
I noticed that Yamaha.ca is the distributor for MXL mics, but Yamaha
website has no dealer info.

By the way, has anyone compared these to the Apex 180 series?
(www.apexelectronics.com). They look *exactly* the same to me.
I know I can get the Apex here, but people have told me those sound
much worse than Rode NT5, so maybe they are using different cicuitry
and/or capsules.

They are the same design. Same electronics, same capsule configuration.
But they are not made in the same facility by the same people, and the
quality of manufacture varies considerably too.

Default Cdn source for MXL603s; MXL vs. Behringer B-5?

(
www.apexelectronics.com). They look *exactly* the same to me.
I know I can get the Apex here, but people have told me those sound
much worse than Rode NT5, so maybe they are using different cicuitry
and/or capsules.

They are the same design. Same electronics, same capsule configuration.
But they are not made in the same facility by the same people, and the
quality of manufacture varies considerably too.

Dear Scott,

Thanks for the help.

While I got your attention do you have any comment on the Behringer B-5?
These has removeable omni and cardoid caps.

I'm also interested in any other (inexpensive) mics with both flat response
and omnidirectional capsules.

Thanks,
Richard
james

In article , wrote:

Does anyone know a Canadian source for Mashall MX603s mics?

I don't know if you're looking for wholesale prices or something, but
doesn't Zzounds (or whoever) ship to Canada?

By the way, has anyone compared these to the Apex 180 series?
(www.apexelectronics.com). They look *exactly* the same to me.

Wonderful! Now another company can be accused of being copycats and
their customers can be treated like thieves. :-(
Fingerz88D

Here ya go!

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp...ry=Microphones

Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article , wrote:
Does anyone know a Canadian source for Mashall MX603s mics?
I've looked but I can't find any leads, at least not online.
I noticed that Yamaha.ca is the distributor for MXL mics, but Yamaha
website has no dealer info.

By the way, has anyone compared these to the Apex 180 series?
(www.apexelectronics.com). They look *exactly* the same to me.
I know I can get the Apex here, but people have told me those sound
much worse than Rode NT5, so maybe they are using different cicuitry
and/or capsules.

They are the same design. Same electronics, same capsule configuration.
But they are not made in the same facility by the same people, and the
quality of manufacture varies considerably too.

While I got your attention do you have any comment on the Behringer B-5?
These has removeable omni and cardoid caps.

That one is made at the 757 plant in Beijing, I think. Again, you get what
you pay for.

I'm also interested in any other (inexpensive) mics with both flat response
and omnidirectional capsules.

I'd say the Oktava 012 would be the first one that comes to mind. The
Audio-Technica 4051 is a little bit more money, but well worth it, and there
is an omni capsule available.

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article , wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article , wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please say what the various Chinese sources are (at least what you
think)? What are MXL603s, Rode NT5, Apex?

Also, what do you think of miniature (electret) mics, like AT853 (card and
omni) vs. the true condensers? SNR is not an issue (I'm recording live music
at outdoor venues), but clear sound quality is.

Thanks again,
Richard

Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:

Can you please say what the various Chinese sources are (at least what you
think)? What are MXL603s, Rode NT5, Apex?

All of the Marshall mikes are made in their own plant, but that plant uses
tooling and personnel from the Feilo plant in Shanghai.

The Apex stuff is made by Feilo in Shanghai.

The NT5 really is made by Rode in Australia, but using a capsule that
comes from China. I bet a nickel it's from the 757 factory in Beijing
but I'm not 100% positive.

Also, what do you think of miniature (electret) mics, like AT853 (card and
omni) vs. the true condensers? SNR is not an issue (I'm recording live music
at outdoor venues), but clear sound quality is.

There's really no difference between externally polarized and electret
condensers any longer. The SM-81 was probably the first high grade back
electret back in the seventies, but these days there are some extremely
high grade electret designs. Hell, even the DPA (formerly B&K) microphones
use electrets although they don't advertise the fact.

Don't get hung up on whether it's an electret or externally polarized mike.
(They are both "true" condenser microphones). Pick a mike that sounds good.

Hi!
Have you checked with Saved By Technology? In their price list they
have the bundle with the MXL2001 listed, so they may be able to help
you out. The url of the price list is:
http://www.savedbytechnology.com/cgi...ng=microphones
They are located in Toronto.
Jon
P.S. Do you know of a reasonably priced source for Oktava mics in
Canada? Cheers!

Bob Cain

Scott Dorsey wrote:

There's really no difference between externally polarized and electret
condensers any longer. The SM-81 was probably the first high grade back
electret back in the seventies, but these days there are some extremely
high grade electret designs. Hell, even the DPA (formerly B&K) microphones
use electrets although they don't advertise the fact.

Don't get hung up on whether it's an electret or externally polarized mike.
(They are both "true" condenser microphones). Pick a mike that sounds good.
--scott

The electret even has a few advantages. No noise induced by
a polarizing source, a much reduced requirement on flatness
of the back plate and tolerance of the spacer, and reduced
harmonic distortion due to elimination of charge motion as
the diaphragm deflects in a curved fashion.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Fingerz88D

Regardless of the ridiculously low pricetag, the Marshall 603's are fine mics.
Made well enough, wonderfull sound/freq/ response, awesome value.
I'm certain of this.
Rob Reedijk

wrote:
Hi!
Have you checked with Saved By Technology? In their price list they
have the bundle with the MXL2001 listed, so they may be able to help
you out. The url of the price list is:
http://www.savedbytechnology.com/cgi...ng=microphones
They are located in Toronto.

Ughhh. Not a big fan of Saved by Technology. The best store for a lot
of this gear is Long&McQuade. Unfortunately, since Apex is their own
line, they are not likely to have the Marshal stuff.

Jon
P.S. Do you know of a reasonably priced source for Oktava mics in
Canada? Cheers!

Reasonably priced? I don't know. But I think Bernie Barry carries the
Octava stuff.

Rob R.

GDoxta

Try Kaos Music Centre in Toronto.
Jim Williams

wrote in message ...
Does anyone know a Canadian source for Mashall MX603s mics?
I've looked but I can't find any leads, at least not online.
I noticed that Yamaha.ca is the distributor for MXL mics, but Yamaha
website has no dealer info.

By the way, has anyone compared these to the Apex 180 series?
(
www.apexelectronics.com). They look *exactly* the same to me.
I know I can get the Apex here, but people have told me those sound
much worse than Rode NT5, so maybe they are using different cicuitry
and/or capsules.

Another question: is the cap removeable like the Apex ones? Apex usually
come with a cardoid and an omni cap.

Thanks,
Richard

If you want that 30 mm capsule, check out the MCA SP-1. It's
distributed through Marshall and uses the same capsule as the 603. The
SP-1 uses a "Schoeps" style transformerless circuit in a side address
config. Great stuff for mods, and the mics cost $39.99 at Musician's
Friend. They also offer a 10% discount for Prof. organizations like
ASCAP. See it at:
http://www.mcamics.com

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades