David O Kane

Default Best converters-Lex,TC,or Kurzweil?

"PeteL" wrote in message
om...
(Mike Rivers) wrote in message

In article

writes:

is a pretty powerful reverb unit, but there isn't a lot of
documentation on how to tweak it (and even less is printed, so you
can't read it on the can). If you want to get into all the adjustable
parameters, you can download the technical reference for the KSR-8.
Any programs in the Rumor that have the same names as those in the KSR
have the same parameters which can be edited (so the sales guy at the
show told me anyway).

That's correct about the documentation. I have not only a KSP-8 but a
Kurtzweil K2600SX keyboard and the documentation for both, while very
through, is only about one step removed from internal engineering meeting
notes. The manuals for the 2600 (yes there are two, one the size of a
telephone book and another about 1.5" thick) tell you everything there is
to know about the unit and its software, but give no conceptual tie to how
they can be used creatively. I suppose that Kurtz. Co. assumes that it's a
high-end pro-grade product and if you need one, you probably know how to
use one. But some of the control aspects (especially the FUNs) ... It's
hard to even understand them, let alone apply them creatively.

I used to work for a medical company as a Video Producer producing training
tapes, and know that with smaller tech companies - by the time R&D, Beta
testing, and first run production has been completed, release dates are
fast approaching and final documentation is often victim to these other
pressures. Sony, Roland et al have plenty of time and budget to
incorporate "Tips and Tricks" type stuff into their manuals. Hell the
manual I got with a low end Amplifier from Yamaha I STILL keep handy as a
reference into audio subjects, its as good as any of the textbooks I had in
school. I just wish Kurtz. & those types would provide an upgraded users
guide (for an extra fee) for those that needed it.

That said, they are still two of the best of their types on the market.