unibrow

Default Quality Toslink to Miniplug cable? (Under 3 feet if possible)

Hi. I need a high quality Toslink to Miniplug cable that is under 3 feet
if possible. One foot would be perfect. Also, one with thick protective
layers around it. Is Monster Cable good? A specific brand/model number would
be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

Ken / Eleven Shadows

Hey Mike! I hope you're doing well!

I would second what Mike's saying, especially about NOT purchasing
Monster Cable. I needed an extra toslink cable, and my curiosity
about whether I could hear an audible difference was particularly
intense, so I plunked down some extra for a new Monster LightSpeed
cable. I kept hearing intermittent clicking in the monitors, and
couldn't track it down (clocking issue? loose cable?). I finally
replaced the Monster Cable with another toslink cable, and the
clicking immediately went away!

I suppose one should be wary of any company that advertises that their
product has "high velocity of propagation for lower time smear." g

BTW, aside from the clicking, I never could hear an audible difference
between the two cables.

Ken/Eleven Shadows
(Yes, that's right, I haven't posted in a while. Very busy plus I got
whomped on with spam last time I posted here)

They're all pretty much the same. I have one from Hosa that works just
fine, at least as find as a TOSLink cable with one connector that's
even worse than the standard TOSLink crappy connector. I think it's 2
or 3 feet. I think that Core Sound also offers a cable with that
connector, and they make cables to length.

Don't pay for a Monster brand cable. It's questionable whether they
can improve on anything by charging more money for it, but in the case
of TOSLink, where the limitation will be the connectors on your
equipment, there's particularly no point to getting a more expensive
product. Buy two Hosa or Core Sound cables for less than the price of
a Monster, and then you'll have a spare. (but I doubt you'll need it
unless you misuse the cable badly)

Ken / Eleven Shadows

I needed an extra toslink cable, and my curiosity
about whether I could hear an audible difference was particularly
intense, so I plunked down some extra for a new Monster LightSpeed
cable. I kept hearing intermittent clicking in the monitors, and
couldn't track it down (clocking issue? loose cable?). I finally
replaced the Monster Cable with another toslink cable, and the
clicking immediately went away!

I don't see any reason why a Monster cable should be any worse than
something plebean unless it was heavy enough to put radial stress on
the connectors and got them a bit out of alignment.

Agreed. I don't know why it would be worse, either. I had also
thought of your theory as well (somewhat loose due to weight or
otherwise improper fit is what I was thinking), but at that point, I'd
pretty much just had it with the cable.

Ken/Eleven Shadows
http://www.elevenshadows.com

Which Toslink cable? Arild Ingebrigtsen High End Audio 6 January 12th 04 09:27 PM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Comment about speaker cables/interconnects Martin High End Audio 18 September 17th 03 04:07 PM
Would a 'Toslink' cable like this one work for ADAT I/O? Douglas Carmichael Pro Audio 4 September 3rd 03 03:42 PM
Quad snake cable Justin Ulysses Morse Pro Audio 8 July 3rd 03 05:10 PM