M. T. MacPhee

Default 3-4 Schoeps mics creative arrays

In article ,
(Richard Kuschel) wrote:

Subject: 3-4 Schoeps mics creative arrays
From:
(Ivo)
Date: 2/11/04 3:59 AM Mountain Standard Time
After few days I should get two more channels of Millennia Hv-3 (I am
changing my DACS for it) and thus I will have 4 channels of Millennia,
4 channels of Mytek AD and 3 pairs of Schoeps (MK4V, MK21 and MK2).
I wonder if apart from a single stereo pair there could be more
possibilities to enhance the sound beauty, depth and sweeteness of
recordings by using more than two mics. I am talking about rather
chamber recordings (not a large orchestra) done in various types of
rooms.
I have few questions in mind:

1) Is a well placed stereo pair ususally superior to any other extra
experiments and I should not worry ?

A well placed stereo pair works very well, but you can get more "spaciousness"
by adding flanking microphones

2) Can I use a modified "decca tree" like MK2 on sides and MK21 in the
middle (or opposite) ? How to prevent possible phase problems ?

Phase relationships are what give the decca tree its sound.

Try it.
3) MK21 ORTF pair + MK2 on sides ? Am I inviting serious phase
problems ?

4) MK21 ORTF close + MK2 far back for ambience ?

No more than about 20 feet from main array.

5) Any other possibilities ?

XY main pair with flanking omnis in Decca tree arrangement.

Thanks for your advice

Ivo

Richard H. Kuschel

Visit the Schoeps website. They have a couple of articles on doing what
you want to do.

Mike