Chris Watts

Default Format for audio CD

Can you help a newbie, plse.

I have a recording of an interview on CD-ROM in WAV format. It will play OK
on my PC using RealPlayer or Windows media player. I wish to create a CD
that can be played on a standard audio CD player. What format should it be
in? CDA? Can you suggest a simple (freeware?) conversion program?

TIA
Chris

Arny Krueger

"Chris Watts" wrote in message

Can you help a newbie, plse.

I have a recording of an interview on CD-ROM in WAV format. It will
play OK on my PC using RealPlayer or Windows media player. I wish to
create a CD that can be played on a standard audio CD player. What
format should it be in?

44/16 2-channel .wav

CDA?

No, the CD burning software takes care of that for you.

Can you suggest a simple (freeware?) conversion program?

Which .wav format is it currently in?

Most burning software handles stuff like this automatically?

What software are you trying to use?

Chris Watts

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Chris Watts" wrote in message

Can you help a newbie, plse.

I have a recording of an interview on CD-ROM in WAV format. It will
play OK on my PC using RealPlayer or Windows media player. I wish to
create a CD that can be played on a standard audio CD player. What
format should it be in?

44/16 2-channel .wav

CDA?

No, the CD burning software takes care of that for you.

When I burn (Create Audio CD) the WAV file that I have to CD using Nero
4.0.7.8 the resultant CD (i) plays on my PC but everything freezes and (ii)
plays just fine on some CD plays but on others "plays" silently!

Can you suggest a simple (freeware?) conversion program?

Which .wav format is it currently in?

Don't know, how can I determine that? All I know is that it has a .wav
extension

Most burning software handles stuff like this automatically?
What software are you trying to use?

Nero 4.0.7.8

Chris Watts

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Chris Watts" wrote in message

Further to this posting, the file size would indicate that it is
44MHz, 16bit stereo (i.e. it is approx. 172KB/s)
Chris

What happens when you drag and drop it into the Nero burning window?

It adds the file as track 1 to the list of tracks to be burnt to the CD.
I tried the process again and this time the resultant CD is playable on an
ordinary CD player but still locks up my PC and plays at very low volume on
the PC compared to commercial CDs. I cannot read the files on the disk to
determine what files have been placed on the CD.

Chris

Arny Krueger

"Chris Watts" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Chris Watts" wrote in message

Further to this posting, the file size would indicate that it is
44MHz, 16bit stereo (i.e. it is approx. 172KB/s)
Chris

What happens when you drag and drop it into the Nero burning window?

It adds the file as track 1 to the list of tracks to be burnt to the CD.

That suggests that the file has an appropriate format.

I tried the process again and this time the resultant CD is
playable on an ordinary CD player but still locks up my PC and plays
at very low volume on the PC compared to commercial CDs.

Have you ever sucessfully burned an audio CD on this particular computer?

I cannot read the files on the disk to determine what files have been

placed
on the CD.

Nero tells you that, right?

Have you ever examined the CD you burned with DAE software like EAC or CDEX
(freebies - easily found with google)?

JeB

No, the CD burning software takes care of that for you.

When I burn (Create Audio CD) the WAV file that I have to CD using Nero
4.0.7.8 the resultant CD (i) plays on my PC but everything freezes and (ii)
plays just fine on some CD plays but on others "plays" silently!

may be a problem with the players not being able to read recordable
disks.

Chris Watts

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Chris Watts" wrote in message

Have you ever sucessfully burned an audio CD on this particular computer?

No, this is the first time that I have attempted it.

I cannot read the files on the disk to determine what files have been

placed on the CD.

Nero tells you that, right?

No, that is because the PC locks up.
I did manage once to get My Computer to read the directory before the PC
locked up and found that it contained just Track01.cda

Have you ever examined the CD you burned with DAE software like EAC or

CDEX
(freebies - easily found with google)?

No. I would try that, but the PC autoplays as soon as the CD is inserted
and locks up.

I have just tried uninstalling RealPlayer and now everything works as
expected, namely:
Autostart runs Windows Media Player and plays both CDs ok (without locking
up the PC). I have added CDEX and it can see, and play, both CDs although
nothing seems to artist and title info that was supposed to have been burned
to the CD also.

Looks like problem solved.
Thanks very very much.
Chris

Chris Watts

"JeB" wrote in message
news

No, the CD burning software takes care of that for you.

When I burn (Create Audio CD) the WAV file that I have to CD using Nero
4.0.7.8 the resultant CD (i) plays on my PC but everything freezes and

(ii)
plays just fine on some CD plays but on others "plays" silently!

may be a problem with the players not being able to read recordable
disks.

Disks are all CD-R not CD-RW

Chris

Arny Krueger

"Chris Watts" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Chris Watts" wrote in message

Have you ever sucessfully burned an audio CD on this particular
computer?

No, this is the first time that I have attempted it.

I cannot read the files on the disk to determine what files have
been placed on the CD.

Nero tells you that, right?

No, that is because the PC locks up.

Sounds like you might have have a defective or marginal CD reader.

I did manage once to get My Computer to read the directory before the
PC locked up and found that it contained just Track01.cda

Have you ever examined the CD you burned with DAE software like EAC or

CDEX
(freebies - easily found with google)?

No. I would try that, but the PC autoplays as soon as the CD is
inserted and locks up.

I have just tried uninstalling RealPlayer and now everything works as
expected, namely:

Autostart runs Windows Media Player and plays both CDs ok (without
locking up the PC). I have added CDEX and it can see, and play, both
CDs although nothing seems to artist and title info that was supposed
to have been burned to the CD also.

The artist and title information is NOT burned on the CD. You need to have
internet access to obtain that information.

Looks like problem solved.

RealAudio generally does not lock up PCs that are in good operating
condition. I still think your CD reader may be weak. Not to worry - if it is
marginal it will probably get worse in short order.

Mark D. Zacharias

Virtually any properly functioning player can play a properly burned CD with
no problem.

Period.

Mark Z.

"JeB" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:10:57 +0100, "Chris Watts"
wrote:

No, the CD burning software takes care of that for you.
When I burn (Create Audio CD) the WAV file that I have to CD using

Nero
4.0.7.8 the resultant CD (i) plays on my PC but everything freezes and

(ii)
plays just fine on some CD plays but on others "plays" silently!

may be a problem with the players not being able to read recordable
disks.

Disks are all CD-R not CD-RW

Not all players can read CD-R disks.

JeB

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:32:12 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

P.S.

I was, of course, referring to CD and CD-ROM players, not DVD players, some
of which use red lasers.

and modern equipment I presume.

I've read of folks not having CD-R recordings work in car players, older
CD players, etc.

Mark D. Zacharias

Yes, but the player is the problem, not the discs. Any player more than 1
year old, or even newer in some situations, can have cleaning or other
problems sufficient to cause problems playing ANY disc. CD-R's have around
3/4 the reflectivity of a factory made disc, hence their reputation in this
area.
Also, some burners produce out-of-spec discs. This can also cause problems.
Like I said, properly functioning player, properly burned disc = no problem
playing.

Mark Z.

wrote:

P.S.

I was, of course, referring to CD and CD-ROM players, not DVD players,

some
of which use red lasers.

and modern equipment I presume.

I've read of folks not having CD-R recordings work in car players, older
CD players, etc.

Mal Franks

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:01:34 +0100 Thorin sat down and started singing
about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf said "Hurry up". After being
threatened with a cloven skull from one well placed blow, Chris Watts
said:

No. I would try that, but the PC autoplays as soon as the CD is inserted
and locks up.

Hold down the SHIFT key when inserting the disc into the CD-ROM and keep
holding it down until the light (the one that flashes when accessing a
disc) goes out on the CD-ROM.

--
Mal Franks
]