Larry Lindstrom

Default Looking for a $200.00 handheld.

Hi Experts:

I've spent this morning on Google Archives looking
for posts in audio newsgroups that contain the words
"handheld" and "usb". Lots of posts, but I still have
some questions.

My friend and business associate has decided that
we each need a handheld audio recording device. His
requirements are a USB port and an ability to record
from telephone. The price target is $200.00 for each
unit. Our conversation was cut short but I'm assuming
that he also wants to be able to set the unit on a
desk to record face to face meetings, and in his car
to dictate notes.

He is a Windows user, so that platform must be
supported.

He mentioned "Panasonic" a couple of times, so I
want to make sure I understand what they offer, but I
don't want to limit my search to them.

MiniDisk, DAT tape, solid state? I would consider
these or any other storage media. I'm not knowledgeable
enough to have a preference.

I'm not paying for this, so my wish list should not
compromise the requirements stated above:

Reasonable sound quality for use as a portable
MP3 player.

Rechargeable batteries, ability to take power
from car or wall.

My browse through Google indicates that some
of these devices comply with a standard mass
storage interface. An ability to work with
non-Microsoft platforms, as mass storage and/or
as an MP3 player, would be a nice feature.

I've looked at the Archos Ondio, it looks like it
has the features we need, but there is no mention of
a telephone recording ability. I don't know if this
is a feature of the recorder, or just a particular
type of microphone that will work with any recorder
that has a microphone input.

I'd appreciate suggestions on what products meet
my friend's requirements, and what products, if any,
fulfill my wish list.

Thanks
Larry