holo

Default reference monitor upgrade

HI Guys,

Pls give me some advice on this.

I have a 66sq ft rectanglar (6x11) shape studio. I have been using a
combination of Event 20/20 (not the bas model, just the basic ones) together
with the Alesis RA300 amp. They have been with me for about 2 years and I
have done several projects with them.

Until recently, I am involved in projects required more serious mixing.
Thus, I started to feel a bit hard to get things right with "the" combo.
They are indeed too HiFi sounding to me that the hi and lo are somehow not
really accurate.

So I am thinking to replace them by a pair of Yamaha MSP5 due to a few
reasons:

1. They are active. Make me no need to worry the match of amp and speaker
2. They are small. My existing Event might actually too large for me 66sq ft
room, esp I find the bass usually too muddy. However, I have read online
review that MSP5 are quite week for Lo, but my gut feel is that they could
be perfect match for my small room...again, just my gut feel
3. Their price are quite reasonable, if I can sell my "combo"
successfully...
4. I think the MSP5 would probably has the closest sounding to the industry
standard (not necessary the best of course) NS-10, so that they are not way
off.

So, if anyone has the experience of using both, could you pls give me some
hints on the pros and cons??

thanks in advance.

holo

EganMedia

I have a 66sq ft rectanglar (6x11) shape studio. BRBR

There's your problem. It's not the speakers. A room that small is bound to
have so many reinfocements and cancellations that regardless of the speaker,
you won't hear a true mix. You could try talking to Ethan Winer. He might
have some trapping options. An untreated room of that size is just not a god
mixing environment, regardless of the monitor.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
holo

Thanks Joe, it's such a great reminder!

I think I'll just hold for the moment.

Who's Ethan Winer? How can I make contact with him?

thanks.
holo
"EganMedia" wrote in message

I have a 66sq ft rectanglar (6x11) shape studio. BRBR

There's your problem. It's not the speakers. A room that small is bound

have so many reinfocements and cancellations that regardless of the

speaker,
you won't hear a true mix. You could try talking to Ethan Winer. He

might
have some trapping options. An untreated room of that size is just not a

god
mixing environment, regardless of the monitor.

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com

holo

ok, beside the room issue, how would u compare them?

1. Alesis RA 300 + Event 20/20

and

2. Yamaha MSP5

thanks.

holo
"holo" wrote in message
[...]

Scott Dorsey

holo wrote:
ok, beside the room issue, how would u compare them?

1. Alesis RA 300 + Event 20/20

and

2. Yamaha MSP5

Both are pretty nasty. The MSP5 is way far forward, but probably less
so than the 20/20. Neither one will give you a natural sounding voice.

Michell Reference Hydraulic Matko Audio Opinions 12 May 24th 04 06:32 AM
Selling my brandnew KEF Reference 905 eric Audio Opinions 0 January 6th 04 06:09 PM
Teac Reference Components DKCC General 2 September 23rd 03 12:09 AM
Teac Reference 300 DKCC General 0 September 14th 03 06:31 PM
New Paradigm Reference? jnana High End Audio 0 July 12th 03 08:34 PM