Harvey Gerst

Default Shameless Weekly Promo For 5-CD Rec.Audio.Pro Compilation Set.

Ryan Maelhorn came up with this and suggested I run this
every so often.

R.A.P. ain't just for the 'hood anymore.

About 6 years ago, a guy named Mike Phillips posed a very valid question here on
rec.audio.pro. Namely, "Can I hear what you guys have done, so I can judge
whether your advice is any good or not?" That planted the seed for the first
R.A.P. set (the acronym for "Rec.Audio.Pro"), which we thought would probably
fit on one CD-R and some volunteers would run off a hundred or so discs.

We were so wrong. When all the entries finally came in, it ran to four 74 minute
discs worth of material, and over 400 people wanted the set. That was enough to
go to actually pressing the CDs and I found a CD maker who did a great job on
the first set. We actually had 500 sets made and we sold the 4 disc set (the
name wound up being "RAP CDs In Blue") for $15, including airmail shipping.

We also felt that we had enough interest to set up a web site specifically for
RAP and its cohorts, which is owned by the RAP collective for the next ten
years. The artwork for the booklets and traycards of the CDs, all the liner
notes, and over a hundred pages of FAQs, tips, and techniques are kept on line
at: http://www.recaudiopro.net

The next year, we decided to come out with another set, and again, the entries
were staggering - seven fully loaded discs worth of material, with a notable
contribution from George Massenburg. We sold that set (called "Bohemian RAP
CDs") for $25, including shipping. Again, we ran off 500 sets of discs and that
set sold out, too. Year Three, we went back to a four disc set that again
featured some of the luminaries here (like Bob Olhsson). Year Four brought us
Scott Dorsey's RAP 12" LP. Mmmmmm, Vinylllllll.

This is the Year Five set, started late in 2002, and called "A Fifth of RAP".
It's a five disc CD set, each disc runs almost 78 minutes in length, and the set
features over 100 of Rec.Audio.Pro's most vocal and regular contributors. All
for $20, which includes free shipping anywhere in the world.
--Harvey Gerst

Just listen to what these fine folks had to say about it!...

"The R.A.P. CD project is truly an amazing thing. For the first time anyone who
wanted to could send in a sample so we could hear each others work. That coupled
with the web site I think gave everyone new and old a lot of very valuable
insights into recording techniques, equipment, and our skills as audio
engineers. To those who put the whole project together it really was a labor of
love and I bow to them."
--Chris Gieseke

"I got my set a month or so ago and I have to say that I haven't enjoyed ANY
music purchase of the last year or two more. It was truly inspiring. A lot of
experimentation. And connecting the work with the names. There's as much
education in the flaws as in the triumphs. Of course, some of these recordings
were perfect. With so much crap out there on the airwaves (including
well-recorded crap), this set helps remind me of why we do this. A lot of
enjoyment for $20! Get a set before they're gone."
--Westbrook Finlayson, Jr.

"I just spent about 9 hours on the road this weekend playing a big band gig
downstate. I listened to the R.A.P. CDs non-stop until I got there, and then
finished and started over on the way home. Hats off to whoever did the order...
Harvey, that was you, right? Man, when you listen to the whole set non-stop,
it's planned PERFECTLY!! It's like one HUGE composition that breathes....
tension.. release... heights... valleys... amazing work."
--Barry Blumenthal

"I've only had the first CD in the player so far, and it all sounds very
interesting. First I wanna get all liner notes from the website
and print them out, so I can listen and read about what I'm listening to at the
same time. Looking great so far, anyway. Anyone who's reading this and considers
getting the set; do it now; it's worth every penny and then some!"
--Arjan

"Yes, I highly recommend it to those have never ordered a set. From an
educational point of view it has been highly informative for me. There is a ton
of material and the liner notes are filled with ideas, especially for people
like me who have taken an interest in learning how to record what I have been
playing my entire life."
--Martin

"Hey, I ain't on the CD's, nor the LP, but I gots 'em, most of 'em in pairs.
Folks who haven't bought in yet should quit horsing around and pony up. And,
anybody ****ing and moaning about how crappy the music offered on eighteen
dollar/unit commercial products is needs to get out enough to listen to their
own set of these things, which costs a little less than that per-unit and offers
a very interesting range of music, not including Arny's 'tunes.'"
--Hank Alrich

"Jeeez, at that price, it's the best deal going. Just for the music, let alone
the technical tutorial. That's less than a case of decent beer. And besides,
where else would you get a recording of Happy F**king Birthday?"
--Minette

"Fer****sake, it's only 20 bucks including postage for the whole set, produced
and documented by people who are familiar on this group and with whom you can
discuss any aspect of what they've done on it. If you daren't risk $20 on a dead
certain bargain like this I hope you're not in any type of business of your
own!"
--Anahata

"To me, this is one of the finest opportunities on rec.audio.pro - or the
internet for that matter."
--Rich

"I got the Rec.Audio.Pro (R.A.P.) CD set today. What an amazing bargain! Quite
an eclectic mix of tunes. Even non-recorders would love this. I'd recommend it
to any guitar player because there is some killer guitar work in the
compilation. I was expecting a lot of stuff coming out of some kid's 4 track
studio, but that is not the case. Most of it was quite high quality. I am
overwhelmed, and to the folks who worked hard to put it together, I can only say
your efforts were WORTH it! Great CD set!"
--Mike

"The other choices are clear; wait for the next halftime Superbowl event, or
start some threads about George Bush or Colin Powell. And I'm still offering the
same personal money back guarantee: IF you're unhappy with any of the sets, for
ANY REASON, I'll personally refund ALL your money."
--Harvey Gerst

The past R.A.P. CDs have, and will be, open to any R.A.P. contributor who
chooses to submit a song. One of the best (and most frustrating!) aspects of the
compilations has been to be blown away by the quality of submissions that have
been produced by "low-budget, home studio guys who can't afford all that fancy
gear".

The R.A.P. CDs are not meant to be a showcase for the best and brightest and
richest. They're for everyone. But don't take our word for it! Whip out that
measly $20 and contribute to the community! Especially if you want to submit a
track for the next set. Due to the time, logistics, and money involved in
producing the sets, no new sets will be made before the last one sells out.

Even after all the submissions are collected and a CD manufacturer is lined up,
it still takes an average of three to four months to get a set finalized and
send it off for pressing, and this is working at top speed. At the very least,
head on over to: http://www.recaudiopro.net and take a look at what our little
group has put together; a good deal more than any other newsgroup on the web,
I'm willing to bet.

This message will be posted on rec.audio.pro every week or so, till we run out
of the current r.a.p. sets, or hell freezes over - whichever comes first.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
George Perfect

Harvey - I have less excuse than most for my tardiness but I tried twice
this week to order the set using the PayPal link on the RAP web site ...
and the link don't work.

I want to order Scott's LP as well (how's that for late?) - can I just
email you money via my PayPal account? Tell me how much (including
postage to the UK) and I'll do it straight away.

--

George
Newcastle, England

Problems worthy of attack
Prove their worth, by hitting back [Piet Hein]
Geoley

Harvey:

The "Fifth Of RAP" compilation set arrived last Friday, (that was quick
service). I don't know why I procrastinated so long before ordering the set.
I have not listened to all the tracks on all the disks yet but what I did
select to listen too so far is fabulous. I hope I will be able to submit a
track to a future "RAP" compilation. Thanks again Harvey

Geoley

Harvey Gerst

"Geoley" wrote:

Harvey:

The "Fifth Of RAP" compilation set arrived last Friday, (that was quick
service). I don't know why I procrastinated so long before ordering the set.

I was gonna say something about all you procrastinators a few months ago, but I
never got around to it.

I have not listened to all the tracks on all the disks yet but what I did
select to listen too so far is fabulous. I hope I will be able to submit a
track to a future "RAP" compilation. Thanks again Harvey

Geoley,

I hope you'll contribute something, too. Post some impressions of the set when
you get a chance. Most orders are shipped Airmail the same day, or the next
morning.