Arny Krueger

Default Operating temperature of CD players?

"Chocoholic" wrote in message

I have just purchased a new 'bookshelf' stereo system and it has good
enough sound quality for me even if these types of systems are
considered 'cheap' by serious audiophiles. But after carefully
considering what features I wanted and buying something that seems to
fill all my requirements I've discovered a problem I hadn't even
considered. All of the components are in a single 'box' with the CD
player on top and when put CDs in it CDs they get noticeably warm. Not
just the one being played, but ALL of them. It seems to be due to the
amplifier being included in the case as much as the CD player itself
because it makes the CDs warm even when it's not playing them --
while just listening to the FM radio for example. Putting a
thermometer into the CD tray I see that it's over 100 Fahrenheit in
there.

100 degrees Fahrenheit is not a problem. It's just a hot day in (fill in the
blanks).

Is this normal?

Its not a problem.

Do other 'bookshelf' systems do this?

Car stereos surely do.

Do 'dedicated' CD players in a separate case do this?

Maybe, maybe not.

I was previously
using a fairly old/cheap CD player in a separate case that didn't
play MP3s, and I don't recall the CDs ever being noticeable warm when
I opened it.

100 degrees Fahrenheit is not a problem.

Isn't this bad for the CDs?

Maybe over a period of years.

I have heard that they will
deteriorate when exposed to temperatures over ~80 Fahrenheit for long
periods.

Maybe over a period of decades.

Is this true? Or is it more true of CD-Rs than 'pressed' CDs?

Take a deep breath. You might be obsessing.

The unit is quite well ventilated so it's not a problem that can
be fixed my moving stuff away from it. I need to decide if this
'feature' is something I would get from most any 'bookshelf' stereo
or if I ought to return it.

Buyer's remorse, anybody?

Barry Mann

In , on 08/26/03
at 12:05 AM, "Chocoholic" said:

Putting a
thermometer into the CD tray I see that it's over 100 farenheit in
there. Is this normal? Do other 'bookshelf' systems do this?

Mostly, yes, it depends on the unit's construction and its immediate
surroundings.

Do
'dedicated' CD players in a seperate case do this?

Typically, no, but it depends on the surroundings. If the CD player is
in a cabinet with the receiver or on top or another unit, it will heat
up.

I was previously
using a fairly old/cheap CD player in a seperate case that didn't play
MP3s, and I don't recall the CDs ever being noticable warm when I
opened it. Isn't this bad for the CDs? I have heard that they will
deteriorate when exposed to temperatures over ~80 farenheit for long
periods. Is this true? Or is it more true of CD-Rs than 'pressed' CDs?
The unit is quite well ventilated so it's not a problem that can be
fixed my moving stuff away from it. I need to decide if this 'feature'
is something I would get from most any 'bookshelf' stereo or if I
ought to return it.

It's not a problem, but if you are really concerned, add a small fan to
cool the unit. (But this will introduce its own problems such as noise
and dust.)

It is possible that storing your CD's at mildly elevated temperatures
for years may decrease their ultimate life, but I think we will need a
few more decades of experience to know exactly what that decrease might
be (if any).

100 degrees is somewhat lower than the ambient temperature in some
areas (Such as Europe this summer). So far there haven't been any
reports of "wilted" CD collections.

That said, there is a group of audiophiles claiming that CD's subjected
to a cryogenic process sound better than regular CD's. I don't think
they researched the effect of their process on the ultimate life of the
discs or considered the possiblilty of repairing potential damage done
by playing CD's at 100 degrees.

SPAM:
wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)
[sorry about the puzzle, SPAMers are ruining my mailbox]