Roger W. Norman

Default Well, something I thought would never happen...

I took delivery today on a 6' baby grand for the living room, and although
it's not a Steinway nor a Yamaha C5, it's a Henry F. Miller and it has a lot
of the character of a Steinway M series grand.

That's all I'm going to say. I'm not making any great claims for the piano.
Hell, it hasn't even been tuned yet, although I can tell what I want the
technician to do.

Think I'll buy a PianoBar and transfer the midi signal down to the Kurzweil
and have them both play in concert! g (pun intended).

So regardless of what you guys think, I'm pleased and my wife is pleased,
and as we all know "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Roger W. Norman

Default Something else I never thought would happen

I finally made money in 2003. Bev was preparing the taxes for our meeting
with our tax lady today and I (well, SirMusic Studio) actually made money.
Only taken ten years. Now the question is whether I can do it again in
2004.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
I took delivery today on a 6' baby grand for the living room, and although
it's not a Steinway nor a Yamaha C5, it's a Henry F. Miller and it has a

lot
of the character of a Steinway M series grand.

That's all I'm going to say. I'm not making any great claims for the

piano.
Hell, it hasn't even been tuned yet, although I can tell what I want the
technician to do.

Think I'll buy a PianoBar and transfer the midi signal down to the

Kurzweil
and have them both play in concert! g (pun intended).

So regardless of what you guys think, I'm pleased and my wife is pleased,
and as we all know "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" g

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

David Mack Blauvelt

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in
:

I finally made money in 2003. Bev was preparing the taxes for our
meeting with our tax lady today and I (well, SirMusic Studio) actually
made money. Only taken ten years. Now the question is whether I can
do it again in 2004.

Congrats!!!

Best,

Dave
Harvey Gerst

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

I finally made money in 2003. Bev was preparing the taxes for our
meeting with our tax lady today and I (well, SirMusic Studio) actually
made money. Only taken ten years. Now the question is whether I can
do it again in 2004.

Roger,

If your studio is showing a profit, it's time to find a new tax lady.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/
Garthrr

Default very O.T.-- Contradicting platitudes

In the bathroom of my studio I have all kinds of funny stuff on the walls.
Everything from "The Wombat Problem Solving Flow Chart" to a tounge in cheek
article about the similarities between Jesus and Elvis. People frquently
comment about how much funny stuff there is to read in there.
It occurred to me that it might be funny to list some of the common sayings in
our culture which would seem to contradict each other.

An example would be my personal least favorite saying of all time: "The road to
hell is paved with good intentions." which is fortunately offset by "It's the
thought that counts." Then there's "Out of sight, out of mind" which is
countered by "Absence makes the heart grow fonder.". You get the idea.

So, if I can amass enough of these I will print up a list and post them. If you
have any good ones. I'd love to read them.
Thanks in advance.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney

Bob Cain

Garthrr wrote:

An example would be my personal least favorite saying of all time: "The road to
hell is paved with good intentions." which is fortunately offset by "It's the
thought that counts." Then there's "Out of sight, out of mind" which is
countered by "Absence makes the heart grow fonder.". You get the idea.

One of the beautiful things about the human mind, which is
more in evidence in eastern thought than in western modes,
is its ability to simultaneously entertain and even embrace
conflicting concepts and beliefs. :-)

A.A. is chuck full of these and is one of its strengths,
IMHO. This capacity also seems to vary with age. In our
early years this presents no problems at all, then as we
pass through adolescence we get really rigid about logical
consistency which has the appearance of thinking we know
everything and then as we age we more and more see the
wisdom inherent in the contradictions.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
hank alrich

Harvey Gerst wrote:

If your studio is showing a profit, it's time to find a new tax lady.

Or a pricier new piano. Let Bev pick.

--
ha
Logan Shaw

Bob Cain wrote:
In our early years this presents
no problems at all, then as we pass through adolescence we get really
rigid about logical consistency which has the appearance of thinking we
know everything and then as we age we more and more see the wisdom
inherent in the contradictions.

If by that you mean *apparent* contradictions, then yeah, I'm always up
for some good Hegelian synthesis. But otherwise, no, contradictions really
do IMHO indicate an inconsistency in your thinking, which to me is more
like a problem that needs to be addressed than a desirable state.

- Logan
Roger W. Norman

I did let Bev pick.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"hank alrich" wrote in message
.. .
Harvey Gerst wrote:

If your studio is showing a profit, it's time to find a new tax lady.

Or a pricier new piano. Let Bev pick.

--
ha

hank alrich

Logan Shaw wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

In our early years this presents
no problems at all, then as we pass through adolescence we get really
rigid about logical consistency which has the appearance of thinking we
know everything and then as we age we more and more see the wisdom
inherent in the contradictions.

If by that you mean *apparent* contradictions, then yeah, I'm always up
for some good Hegelian synthesis.

FM? Wavetable? Convolutionary?

But otherwise, no, contradictions really
do IMHO indicate an inconsistency in your thinking, which to me is more
like a problem that needs to be addressed than a desirable state.

Okay, then, throw Zen in the bathtub
and drain it all.

--
ha

S O'Neill

Logan Shaw wrote:
Bob Cain wrote:

In our early years this presents no problems at all, then as we pass
through adolescence we get really rigid about logical consistency
which has the appearance of thinking we know everything and then as we
age we more and more see the wisdom inherent in the contradictions.

If by that you mean *apparent* contradictions, then yeah, I'm always up
for some good Hegelian synthesis. But otherwise, no, contradictions really
do IMHO indicate an inconsistency in your thinking, which to me is more
like a problem that needs to be addressed than a desirable state.

I've come to realize that Heisenberg was right about everything, not
just physics, and that contradictions are frequently only an artifact of
our limitations and not to be bothered about unless you're looking for
something in particular.

Bob Olhsson

"Harvey Gerst" wrote in message

If your studio is showing a profit, it's time to find a new tax lady.

A-MEN!

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051 http://www.hyperback.com

Roger W. Norman

You know, bud, I didn't take into consideration the electricity or any of
the other overhead costs, but I spent less than I brought in. By virtue of
gross revenues, that means I made money. My tax lady (went yesterday) won't
let it be a matter of making money, but the fact is, I brought in more than
I spent. And hey, every once in a while it's simply nice to have something
positive going on with the studio.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

I finally made money in 2003. Bev was preparing the taxes for our
meeting with our tax lady today and I (well, SirMusic Studio) actually
made money. Only taken ten years. Now the question is whether I can
do it again in 2004.

Roger,

If your studio is showing a profit, it's time to find a new tax lady.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/

Per Karlsson

Garthrr wrote:
An example would be my personal least favorite saying of all time: "The road to
hell is paved with good intentions." which is fortunately offset by "It's the
thought that counts."

Interesting! My preferences would definitely go the other way around.
The former actually teaches you something about life, while the latter
may rather reassure you that it's fine to act contrary to your
beliefs. Oh, well, it of course all depends on what you read into
them... In this day and age when all sorts of highly objectionable
behaviour is excused by the impeccable intentions of the perpetrators,
the tension between the two sayings is at least thought-provoking.