T Cable

Default Belden 1800B AES cable

Hello,
I am about to build 2 unbalanced 70 ft RCA cables and 4 balanced 60 ft
XLR-RCA (with impedence matcher at one end) and I have plenty of
Beldens 1800B AES cable available to me. My questions to anyone that
can help me is: Even though this cable is designed for AES audio,
will this work with analog cables of 60ft-90ft? I am running this
cable along floors and ceilings if that matters.

Another similar question for the people in the know: I am also using
Belden's 1865A mini-coax for SDI runs of 60ft. I have used this cable
without any problems with both analog and SDI for 3 years now without
problem. Belden's www site documents this as analog cable. Should I
worry that I may be getting digital errors without realizing it? Or
is this cable acceptable for both digital and analog. (The digital is
component digital from Sony Digibeta deck, no HD)

Thanks for any answers or suggestions

tcab006
Tim Padrick

I have not tried the Belden, but with Gotham, I found that their AES cable
did not sound nearly as good for analog lines as their mic cable did.

For digital use, I'd definitely try the AES cable and see if you get a
better result - I expect you will.

"T Cable" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I have plenty of
Beldens 1800B AES cable available to me. My questions to anyone that
can help me is: Even though this cable is designed for AES audio,
will this work with analog cables of 60ft-90ft?

Yes, it's great audio cable. I think. I know 1800A and 1800F. Not sure
what B is, but probably just a difference in the shield construction
or jacket material. It's nice low capacitance cable.

Another similar question for the people in the know: I am also using
Belden's 1865A mini-coax for SDI runs of 60ft. I have used this cable
without any problems with both analog and SDI for 3 years now without
problem. Belden's www site documents this as analog cable. Should I
worry that I may be getting digital errors without realizing it? Or
is this cable acceptable for both digital and analog.

There is really no inherent difference between digital and analog
cable. Generally cable that's targeted for digital applications has
lower capacitance between conductors or between conductor and shield
(or both), and that won't hurt the audio. It might even make it
better. If you haven't had problems in the past, don't worry about
what you can't see or hear.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Scott Dorsey

T Cable wrote:
I am about to build 2 unbalanced 70 ft RCA cables and 4 balanced 60 ft
XLR-RCA (with impedence matcher at one end) and I have plenty of
Beldens 1800B AES cable available to me. My questions to anyone that
can help me is: Even though this cable is designed for AES audio,
will this work with analog cables of 60ft-90ft? I am running this
cable along floors and ceilings if that matters.

Sure, it's fine. That stuff is the same thing as the analogue cable,
it just has much more tight specifications for conductor diameter and
spacing, so that the characteristic impedance is constant. You don't
care about that for analogue audio, so you are paying extra money for
characteristics you aren't using, but if you have the cable already
you might as well use it.

Another similar question for the people in the know: I am also using
Belden's 1865A mini-coax for SDI runs of 60ft. I have used this cable
without any problems with both analog and SDI for 3 years now without
problem. Belden's www site documents this as analog cable. Should I
worry that I may be getting digital errors without realizing it? Or
is this cable acceptable for both digital and analog. (The digital is
component digital from Sony Digibeta deck, no HD)

You are talking about digital video? If so, the digital video has a wider
bandwidth than either the digital audio lines or the analogue video lines.
This means you need cable with very low losses at high frequencies.

But sixty feet isn't very much. And I don't know about the digital video,
but I know that with digital audio when there are transmission line errors,
the effect is not subtle. It's hard to miss it when everyone comes running
out of the control booth to escape from the loud screeching noises.

So if it's working, don't complain about it. Cables don't care what you
are running through them. Cables just have characteristics selected for
particular kinds of signals.

Some serious cable measurements with interesting results. Bruno Putzeys High End Audio 78 December 19th 03 03:27 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Digital Audio Cable Question(s) Hugh Cowan High End Audio 11 October 8th 03 07:15 PM
Comment about speaker cables/interconnects Martin High End Audio 18 September 17th 03 04:07 PM
Quad snake cable Justin Ulysses Morse Pro Audio 8 July 3rd 03 05:10 PM