Robert Rowton

Default recording from "line out"

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 00:51:28 GMT, "Ken Bouchard"
wrote:

Can you run a cable from "line out" to "line in" on most sound cards? The
sound card "line in" wouldn't get overloaded?
Hate to "wipe out" my sound card.
Always wondered what that strange little cable was that came with a PC I
bought ages ago. It's STRANGE...about 4 inches long with a 1/4 in. miniplug
on each end.

thanks, ken

Hello,
Yes, and it can be done safely provided you keep your output levels
reasonable, but it's really only useful for testing purposes. Here's a
link to a company that makes a very nice freeware sound card analyzer
utility so you can test your card's performance. Keep in mind that
these tests use both the output and input sections of your card, so
they're not entirely representative of the performance of either
section alone.

http://audio.rightmark.org/
Ken Bouchard

Thanks for the info. I connected that little cable and accomplished EXACTLY
what I wanted. Such recording from "line out" to "line in" (when you've got
software like Cool Edit) is very useful. (and not just for testing)

thanks, ken

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

wrote:

[...]

Arny Krueger

"Ken Bouchard" wrote in message
et

Thanks for the info. I connected that little cable and accomplished
EXACTLY what I wanted. Such recording from "line out" to "line in"
(when you've got software like Cool Edit) is very useful. (and not
just for testing)

The most useful purpose I know of for this mode of operation is recording
the output of programs that don't save files to disk, like Real Audio.

There's a little ca. $10 program called Total Recorder that fills the bill
and typically has more accuracy and ease of use (once you get the hang of
it) than *any* sound card.

Ken Bouchard

Well Arny, it's like this: If there's some audio out there on the web that
you'd really like to put onto a CD and you can't access the .ram files that
are sitting out there on some server, then the ONLY way you're going to get
that audio is to do that little cable thing. (other than putting a
microphone in front of your speakers)

thanks, ken

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"
www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
news
"Ken Bouchard" wrote in message
et

Thanks for the info. I connected that little cable and accomplished
EXACTLY what I wanted. Such recording from "line out" to "line in"
(when you've got software like Cool Edit) is very useful. (and not
just for testing)

The most useful purpose I know of for this mode of operation is recording
the output of programs that don't save files to disk, like Real Audio.

There's a little ca. $10 program called Total Recorder that fills the bill
and typically has more accuracy and ease of use (once you get the hang of
it) than *any* sound card.

Arny Krueger

"Ken Bouchard" wrote in message
et

Well Arny, it's like this: If there's some audio out there on the web
that you'd really like to put onto a CD and you can't access the .ram
files that are sitting out there on some server, then the ONLY way
you're going to get that audio is to do that little cable thing.
(other than putting a microphone in front of your speakers)

Check around and you'll find that a great many people have been using Total
Recorder for that very purpose.

Using a cable simply isn't the ONLY way. Fact. Been there, done that.

Arny Krueger

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message
k.net

I believe he mentioned Total Recorder.

Twice now.

Free download, and records the output of the WAV device to a file.

You forgot to explicitly say that it works with Real Audio and Windows
Media.

Arny Krueger

"Ken Bouchard" wrote in message
et

OK, OK, so maybe I should have said that using the little cable is a
GOOD way to do this if you don't feel like paying $30 for special
software.

thanks, ken

http://www.highcriteria.com/

Total Recorder Standard Edition costs just $11.95 (USD).

Unlike a soundcard, total recorder captures audio without analog-domain
degradation.

Nomad Jukebox 3 Pandora General 18 August 12th 03 09:21 AM
Recording a Live band Mike Walker General 6 July 19th 03 01:07 AM
DVDr vs CDr. Golitely General 76 June 30th 03 11:33 AM