keith

Default ??? a/d/s/ 642/ix -> PH15 -> comps, and rear mid-bass

Hi,
I'd think that this should be pretty simple, but the manual for the
642ix doesn't list it as an option... This set-up is going in a Toyota
king cab, with stealth being a priority (I'd REALLY like to keep it down
to the one amp)...

I want to run ch's 1&2, and 3&4 of the PH15 bridged to a set of Morel
components (I really do need all of those 100 watts for each side), and
then I want to use ch's 5&6 to run a pair of old school JBL 8" free air
subs (very efficient) from ~200hz down. The closest configuration
listed is exactly the opposite... 100WRMS x2 for the subs, and 50WRMSx2
for the components.
Am I gonna have to build my own modules here? I haven't had any luck
with getting service, parts, answers or even basic email responses from
a/d/s/... As much as I love Directed, a/d/s/ just isn't even colse to
the same company after the buy-out - sorry, different rant...
TIA,
Keith

james w

It should work just fine. The amp doesn't care what you connect to it as
long as the load is with in operating specs. Just have to make sure the
crossover is right. On my 640.2, the crossover is weird - the 1-2 channels
only do a high pass though they can be set to be controlled by the 3-4
crossover. It's been a long time since I've had a ph15, does it even have a
cross over? Or, are you usinghthe 642csi?

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

Pat M

Yes it can be done but you will need to get your hands on an AC206 which is
a router for the din pins. You will need one of those and then 2 AC201's I
believe are the part #'s. They are the 1' male din to din connectors. This
will allow you to run the din pins to the respective locations. If you use
the diagram in the manual and just plug the modules in the wrong locations
it will only cause problems. It is not that simple. This will then allow
you to run channel 1 input to bridge channels 1/2, then channel 3 input to
bridge channels 3/4 and then channels 5/6 in a stereo operation.

As for not getting service, parts, responses to emails or anything else from
a/d/s/ you need to keep in mind that the individuals that were there 6
months ago are no longer there. Directed is now doing everything out of
their own facility in Vista and the individuals that worked out of the
Phoenix and Boston facility well are no longer around. I guess they
thought it would be better but it seems like their are some good things
about it and definitely bad but when it comes to old school stuff you are
pretty much well tossed on the side.

If you have any questions just let me know.
--
Pat M.

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

Keith

No, I'm using a 642ix... The loads are right, but I can't seem to get access to
the optional modules that it looks like I need... I'm hopong that there's a
jumper/standard module combination that will get me there... Additionally, the
units are connected via the 8 pin DIN wire, that restricts easy switching of
input sources. No, the PH15 doesn't have an internal x-over. That'd just be
too simple...
Thank you for input,
Keith

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

Keith

Thanks Pat,
I was afraid of just such a situation... I can't even get my hands on an AC202
(DIN to RCA adapter), much less an AC206 and two AC201's... Unfortunately, I
passed on tony's (tbird1950) offer on a couple of AC201's and now they're long
gone.
I'm afraid I'll have to go another route, using the three way standard set-up,
overpowering my tweeters, and under powering my mids...
I tried calling the woman you put me in contact with last time we spoke, but got
no resopnse. Perhaps she's gone now too...
I'll try the standard config, and let you know how it turns out.
Thanks again Pat, a/d/s/ is surely missing your expertise and helpfulness.
Keith

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

Pat M

Keith I might happen to have an AC206 sitting in my garage collecting dust
but I know for sure that I don't have any AC201's. Let me check on it
tomorrow when I am out there wrenching and will let you know. As for the
AC201's if you go to the website and look up home dealers in your area they
will be or should I say should be able to get you a couple since they were
the ones that used them the most. The car audio dealers really didn't use
them all that much..

I will let you know tomorrow on what I find out..
---
Pat M.

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

Pat M

Keith sorry for the delay. My project I was working on took longer than I
expected then need to get ready for next weekend.. You are in luck though.
I found an AC206 sitting in my draw that was not even used. If you send me
your address I will send it out to you. You can contact JD or Directed
directly and they should be able to sell you the AC201 cables...
--
Pat M.

"Keith" wrote in message
Wow, OK... I'm looking foward to hearing from you...
Thanks _AGAIN_ Pat.
Keith

"keith" wrote in message
[...]

Mark Zarella

Actually, last time I looked we had a lifetime supply of ALL of the
ACxxx cables/adapters in stock. I'd like to point out that in our
defense, the condition "in stock" in terms of a/d/s/ parts and products
has reached a consistency level never seen in recent years under
previous management :-)

Thanks for the assist Pat, and we do miss you for sheer hands-on
experience with these products although there are a number of folks in
Tech that have been working hard to cover these types of older support
questions, including cataloging and posting to the tech web site evrey
out of production owner's guide they can get their hands on.

JD hooked me up with all the a/d/s/ cables/connectors/manuals I was after.
Maybe you're not trying hard enough?

keith

I'm sorry John, Perhaps I should have contacted you directly when I
initially began my search. Honestly, I felt a little awkward after 3+
years of watching you field tons of questions and requests that should
be easily handled by local dealers and the tech support/sales
departments... Honestly, this is the first time I've attempted contact
with a/d/s/ tech support in over 5 years, so I'm going on my experiences
from ~'93-'98 - I understand that a lot can go wrong in 3 or 4 years,
and I'm sure that Directed is in the process of righting that ship.
I'm honestly not trying to stir anything up - I've just been trying in
vain (since May) to get this system complete, and have run into more
than a couple of brick walls. (see: "Need help finding AC202 a/d/s/ -
JD - Pat - anyone?" from May).
However, I'm seriously not kidding about not being able to get any of my
*three* local dealers to order the part. I then ordered one from
evosport.com (the only place I could find on line that claimed to have
them in stock), and I canceled my order after a month of "It's
back-ordered - it'll be another week."
It was at that point I bought a 642ix in hopes that a simple electronics
store 8pin to 8pin would hold me over until I could the right one. I
now realize that this was perhaps a mis-guided purchase at the time...

That being the case, I guess I'm in the market for two AC201's, and an
AC202 (just in case)... Whom should I be talking to?

Thanks John, and mucho respect for your passion and knowledge.
Keith

"keith" wrote in message

[...]

John Durbin

What can I say Pat, your dedication to all-out customer support isn't
easily replaced :-)

The buy direct thing can somewhat be addressed by working with our
Warranty Dept. who is able to sell parts like that in a limited way. We
know it's not always possible to find a good local a/d/s/ dealer in
every part of the country.

JD

Pat M wrote:

Well glad to hear that you have all of the ACXXX parts in stock John. It
still doesn't make sense though why when a consumer calls up asking for a
56005 or 56025 they are told that they can not buy direct but are then
directed to a dealer and when they visit that dealer they don't want to
order it for the customer. Seems as though service does not want to bother
placing the order and pleasing the customer but hey I am not there any
longer and don't know what is going on in the inside.. If an old time
a/d/s/ user emails me with ?'s I respond to them but it just bothers me when
I see that they are sending emails to Tech Support and they are just
ignored. Maybe I am just a little over protective or maybe it has something
to do for the love of the product whether I was an employee or not...
--
Pat M.

[...]

John Durbin

I saw that thread, but very late - had not been able to find time to
keep up with RAC for the better part of the second half 2002.
But please don't worry about contacting me about Directed stuff, worst
case if you send it to my home mail I may not see it or respond
immediately but sent to work ) should get you a
quick response from me or whoever I forward the question to internally.
I know our system isn't truly geared towards DIY consumer support, but
we try and make the best of it both at my level, in Tech Support, C/S,
and the Warranty Dept.

I am surprised by evosport, those guys have had a long-time strong
relationship with a/d/s/ including building demo cars together. I bet if
I shipped them the cables they'd be glad to hook you up. However, I
think we can handle that directly, let me look into it tomorrow and I'll
send you the details from work.

JD