Dave

Default THE DARKNESS-"PERMISSION TO LAND"

Great laughs, but not serious music.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

I'd have to disagree. This is the first real rock band I've heard in a
while. I really like them. I think they are being silly on purpose. I love
the video. Especially the giant crab.

Ricky W. Hunt

"Dave" wrote in message
nk.net...
Great laughs, but not serious music.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

I'd have to disagree. This is the first real rock band I've heard in a
while. I really like them. I think they are being silly on purpose. I love
the video. Especially the giant crab.

I'd call it "serious" and "real" too. I mean it's obvious what they are
going for (the Queen influence being the most obvious to me). Still, to me,
it's better than 90% of what's out there now though ("charting" stuff I
mean). Which is a very Spinal Tap thing too if you think about it. I
actually thought Spinal Tap's songs were better than 90% of the people they
were mocking. That being said though I doubt they remain a hit (generally
speaking) very long and will be seen more as a "fad". Of course, that has
not as much to do with them or their talent as it does the public's
fickleness. That's just one of those Catch-22 situations where you're
screwed no matter what. A small group of people dig you because you are NOT
the "hip, hot thing", after which because of the growing legion of fans
(usually due to the fact that you ARE talented) you BECOME the "hip, hot
thing" and then it's NOT cool to like you anymore even though you're just as
talented as ever. Either way I'm just jazzed anytime I hear the words
"Guit-aaarr.!" leading into an actual guitar solo.

Boom2323

super hot band,,,imo......fun
THERDRAIL

I hear the words
"Guit-aaarr.!" leading into an actual guitar solo. BRBR
as much a fan of the guitar as i am,
i never really get too hot for bands that literally EVERYTHING they do has been
done before, and they AREN'T taking it up a notch.

to me, these guys are wanna be's, ripping it all off in the worst way, and IMO,
not doing it better.
Not that they won't do well, i just watched the video and was immediately bored
at the fake, and mediocre freddy impression(vocally,wardrobe, and
posing/posturing)

To me thats not a nod to your heroes, thats lack of an original idea.

FWIW, i'm left with the impression that these guys ARE dead serious about
reliving the past, this may be camp, but its not supposed to be humor.......

Ricky W. Hunt

"THERDRAIL" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I'm 38 and I can honestly say I've never in my lifetime ever
encountered any musician/group who WAS totally original. I might have
thought they were at the time but I've always been able to find plenty of
people that came before them doing the same thing. My daughter loves the
video for the very reasons you don't like it. Kids aren't dumb. If they're
going to see "fake" they'd rather see sincere fake than fake sincerity.

THERDRAIL

Well, I'm 38 and I can honestly say I've never in my lifetime ever
encountered any musician/group who WAS totally original. I might have
thought they were at the time but I've always been able to find plenty of
people that came before them doing the same thing. My daughter loves the
video for the very reasons you don't like it. Kids aren't dumb. If they're
going to see "fake" they'd rather see sincere fake than fake sincerity.
BRBR

Fair enough, but how often are those "not totally original" bands this blatant
(at least the singer).
Is she familiar enough with Mr. Mercury's work to at least understand the
comparison?
And not to say your daughter, or every kid is dumb, but most are more
impressionable than 38 year olds. (i'm a similar age)
Can't remember the last time I saw a 38 year old woman putting up a poster of a
"rock star" on her bedroom wall though.
Iowa Recorder

Kinda cool band, but I'm still trying to figure out if the singer is
for real or just being goofy.

Analogeezer

The whole "Darkness" thing is pure Spinal Tap. They strut and pose to
the manner born. Great laughs, but not serious music.

I'm so confused on how to take this band. Our drummer brought the CD
to a gig and played it on break. You got to know the guys in my band
are probably as serious as can be. We also are number one fans of
spinal tap. I'm fairly serious too. We loved it and are planning on
adding it to our set list. I know there is alot of buzz as to whether
they are sincere or not but the music is indeed pretty damn good.
I'll bet the legions of Rappers, blink 182ers...ect... will have
little clue what the appeal of this recording is.

BTW... The rubber octopus/space monster at the end of the video was
hilarious.

IR
Don Pearce

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 01:08:54 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

Great laughs, but not serious music.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com

I'd have to disagree. This is the first real rock band I've heard in a
while. I really like them. I think they are being silly on purpose. I love
the video. Especially the giant crab.

If you think they are being silly on purpose, then you agree - not
disagree.

_____________________________

http://www.pearce.uk.com
Zomoniac

Kelph57 wrote:
WOW!
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A ROCK BAND-
SATIRE-STYLE AND IMAGE!

Shame the music's ****e.

Zo

Andrew M.

Zomoniac wrote:

Kelph57 wrote:

WOW!
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A ROCK BAND-
SATIRE-STYLE AND IMAGE!

Shame the music's ****e.

Zo

The Darkness ROCKS and they are a lot of fun! What more do you want out
of a rock band.

JK

"Andrew M." wrote in message

Zomoniac wrote:

Kelph57 wrote:

WOW!
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A ROCK BAND-
SATIRE-STYLE AND IMAGE!

Shame the music's ****e.

Zo

The Darkness ROCKS and they are a lot of fun! What more do you want out
of a rock band.

They are a riot!...it's Boston covering Twisted Sister!

Neil Henderson

I haven't personally decided if they are goofy are cool. Different for sure.

IMO, they're goofy AND cool (at the same time). Not sure I can say that for
anyone else - 'cept for maybe Slade back in tha' day - so that gives them some
unique positioning, at least.

Great tune, though; that's for sure. Queen influences all over the place, and a
killer arrangement for that genre - never once boring from start to finish.

I give it three thumbs up. lol

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock...
http://www.saqqararecords.com
Neil Henderson

Kinda cool band, but I'm still trying to figure out if the singer is
for real or just being goofy.

He's got to be satirizing to a point of transcendance into almost being real.
That's the only answer.

Pure genius.

Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock...
http://www.saqqararecords.com
Zomoniac

Andrew M. wrote:
Zomoniac wrote:

Kelph57 wrote:

WOW!
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A ROCK BAND-
SATIRE-STYLE AND IMAGE!

Shame the music's ****e.

Zo

The Darkness ROCKS and they are a lot of fun! What more do you want
out of a rock band.

A band that earns success through quality music rather than press hype and
spandex?

Zo

Zomoniac

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:
"Zomoniac" wrote in message

A band that earns success through quality music rather than press
hype and spandex?

I can't really think of any rock acts that DIDN'T do it this way to
some degree or another. Personally, I think jazz fusion sucks and is
about as boring, mechanical, and mathematic as something could get
but lots of people love it.

The Darkness genuinely think they're single-handedly saving rock music. The
fact that they're doing nothing that hasn't been many times before them and
done much better seems to escape them.

Zo

Andrew M.

Zomoniac wrote:

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

"Zomoniac" wrote in message

A band that earns success through quality music rather than press
hype and spandex?

I can't really think of any rock acts that DIDN'T do it this way to
some degree or another. Personally, I think jazz fusion sucks and is
about as boring, mechanical, and mathematic as something could get
but lots of people love it.

The Darkness genuinely think they're single-handedly saving rock music. The
fact that they're doing nothing that hasn't been many times before them and
done much better seems to escape them.

Zo

They are like comic book characters. They are entertaining and they
ROCK. How many rock stars have you met that aren't anything like their
"persona"? They are trying to sell records and they appear to be having
a lot of fun doing it. I don't think they are trying to write the next
Stairway to Heaven, just some fun music that connects with people.

James Perrett

Zomoniac wrote:

Andrew M. wrote:
Zomoniac wrote:

Kelph57 wrote:

WOW!
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A ROCK BAND-
SATIRE-STYLE AND IMAGE!

Shame the music's ****e.

Zo

The Darkness ROCKS and they are a lot of fun! What more do you want
out of a rock band.

A band that earns success through quality music rather than press hype and
spandex?

The way I heard it, people were flocking to their gigs before they had a
record deal and the press hype started.

Cheers.

James.
Zomoniac

James Perrett wrote:
Zomoniac wrote:

Andrew M. wrote:
Zomoniac wrote:

Kelph57 wrote:

WOW!
NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A ROCK BAND-
SATIRE-STYLE AND IMAGE!

Shame the music's ****e.

Zo

The Darkness ROCKS and they are a lot of fun! What more do you want
out of a rock band.

A band that earns success through quality music rather than press
hype and spandex?

The way I heard it, people were flocking to their gigs before they
had a record deal and the press hype started.

Cheers.

James.

Not true at all. I saw them at Glastonbury last year and they were first
act, completely unheard of. Within three weeks they were on every front page
and had their single promoted all over the place and were "TEH BTES BNAD
EVRE!!!" according to the music press.

Zo

BlacklineMusic

I can't believe you guys. To take the Darkness as anything more then a Spinal
Tap like musical joke is silly. That single is awful to listen to... the
comparisons to Freddie Mercury would make the poor guy flip in his grave...
try more like Tiny Tim.. Just when rock was getting good again... Incubus...
Perfect Circle... Audioslave... now these fools gotta take up the radio waves
every ten seconds next to the even more annoying Hey Ya (yeah I liked it the
first three hundred million times I heard it but now its gone too far). I'm
bitter today.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
www.bangrecording.com
Ricky W. Hunt

"BlacklineMusic" wrote in message
I can't believe you guys. To take the Darkness as anything more then a

Spinal
Tap like musical joke is silly.

I didn't know there is one universal music pope (no offensive to Harvey) who
pronounced what was good music and bad. Personally, I like some of Spinal
Tap's music totally apart from the sheer inspired genius of the movie.

That single is awful to listen to... the
comparisons to Freddie Mercury would make the poor guy flip in his

grave...

Funny. According to this article Brian May loves them:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=19242.

BlacklineMusic

I didn't know there is one universal music pope (no offensive to Harvey) who
pronounced what was good music and bad

Just because I gave my opinion doesn't mean I think I'm the end all music
superman.

Personally, I like some of Spinal
Tap's music totally apart from the sheer inspired genius of the movie

Me too. I don't like The Darkness though.

Funny. According to this article Brian May loves them:

Brian May is different from Freddie.
Steve
www.blacklinerock.com
www.bangrecording.com

Boom2323

awww, c'mon,,,
Ricky W. Hunt

"umbriaco" wrote in message

I'd much rather hear The Darkness than that whiny crap Incubus is now

doing.
Seems like you need to turn the dial on your radio more often.

Sometimes I like music that doesn't take itself too seriously. If you can't
have fun with it every now and then, why do it?

James Perrett

Zomoniac wrote:

James Perrett wrote:

The way I heard it, people were flocking to their gigs before they
had a record deal and the press hype started.

Cheers.

James.

Not true at all. I saw them at Glastonbury last year and they were first
act, completely unheard of. Within three weeks they were on every front page
and had their single promoted all over the place and were "TEH BTES BNAD
EVRE!!!" according to the music press.

Zo

There was a buzz about them well before Glastonbury - they were on Jools
Hollands programme in early 2003 and the small gigs I mentioned were in
autumn 2002.

Cheers.

James.
SoundCheck

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message news:E2WZb.373916$xy6.1934073@attbi_s02...
"umbriaco" wrote in message

I'd much rather hear The Darkness than that whiny crap Incubus is now

doing.
Seems like you need to turn the dial on your radio more often.

Sometimes I like music that doesn't take itself too seriously. If you can't
have fun with it every now and then, why do it?

Exactly. I think these guys are a bunch of fun - in the same sense
that the Beastie Boys never took themselves seriously (i.e., they know
how to laugh at themselves). At least I was able to pick up that
sense of "send-up" in the Darkness' video, that I notice so often in a
Beastie Boys video. E.g., Sabotage with that 1970s retro
car-chase/detective thing goin', or in Body Movin' with the
hilarious, low low budget special effects, and I could name another
dozen videos - it's all retro, and referencing something else.

But the music is always top-notch. I think The Darkness is very
refreshing, imho.

Whatever, and blah blah blah....

Angelo