kieran kelly

Default best 1/4 TRS patchbay ?

I am looking for opions on what you guys think are the best 1/4" TRS
bays ( jacks on both sides of the bay ) I am in an in between state as
far as my rack goes and need the flexibility of being to modify the
bays as my needs change. Also what are the best TRS patch cords to
purchase ?
thanks again
nmm

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 12:37 PM, kieran kelly
wrote:
I am looking for opions on what you guys think are the best 1/4"
TRS
bays ( jacks on both sides of the bay ) I am in an in between state
as
far as my rack goes and need the flexibility of being to modify
the
bays as my needs change. Also what are the best TRS patch cords
purchase ?
thanks again

The ones with jacks on both sides of the bay are usually Tip Sleave ones,
unbalanced

Maybe Canare make what you are looking for.

The most standard audio jakfields in broadcast are ADC. Here in Canada we
see a lot of AVP, and McCurdy. Switchcraft are also widely available.

For cables the Neutrik NP3TB is standard used with Canare L-4E cable.

You are better off to get a solder on type patch bay. For flexibility try
a terminal block.

what do you intend of moving arround on the patch bay that would require
jacks on the back?

Ricky W. Hunt

"kieran kelly" wrote in message
m...
I am looking for opions on what you guys think are the best 1/4" TRS
bays ( jacks on both sides of the bay ) I am in an in between state as
far as my rack goes and need the flexibility of being to modify the
bays as my needs change. Also what are the best TRS patch cords to
purchase ?
thanks again

Like anything else you get what you pay for. DON'T GO CHEAP!

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
kieran kelly wrote:
I am looking for opions on what you guys think are the best 1/4" TRS
bays ( jacks on both sides of the bay ) I am in an in between state as
far as my rack goes and need the flexibility of being to modify the
bays as my needs change. Also what are the best TRS patch cords to
purchase ?

Any long frame bay is fine. Take your pick. The Switchcraft and ADC
ones are fine. Neutrik makes some cheap short frame ones but they also
make some good long frame ones.

Again, any long frame cords are fine. The system is designed to be
reliable. Just avoid the consumer-grade short frame junk and you will
be fine.
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I am looking for opions on what you guys think are the best 1/4" TRS
bays ( jacks on both sides of the bay )

That restriction means that you won't get anywhere close to the best
patchbay. The so-called "pre-wired" patchbays are convenient because
you can connect them into your system by plugging things together
using commercially available cables. The problem with this is twofold.
First, you're adding one more connection (and therefore point of
failure) in each signal path. Second, the type of jacks that all of
those panels use in order to keep the price down don't last very long,
so your points of failure are even more likely to fail.

You can buy well made long frame jackbays and solder to them (or buy
the kind with reliable solderless connections and it will be a
one-time investment that won't give you any trouble, or you can buy
prewired patchbays and plan on replacing some jacks every so often.
Take your pick of where and when you want to spend your money and your
time.

If you want something that provides an easy way to reconfigure things,
you can wire (solder) the patchbay jack cables to terminal lugs on a
barrier strip that you use as an intermediate connection point between
the patchbay and the cable destination. This is much more robust than
a cheap 1/4" jack and makes moving things around very easy.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )